Thread: WTB: Painting services for SoG ships

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chuck

Question WTB: Painting services for SoG ships

Aaarrrghhhhhh!

My son and I tried to paint two of the Sails of Glory Ships. We were trying to create some movie-style Pirate Ships for fun. Thought we would add a few Davy Jones Pirates to our game! Well, we successfully ruined both ships. We learned we are not painters! Haha!

I live in the USA. Are there any folks who offer custom painting services for the Sails of Glory ships! My son and I were going to get a couple of black sail Pirate ships done. I can’t seem to locate a miniature painter who works on Ships of the line.

Any recommendations please?

Name:  8F7DFCA2-D3C7-4A63-ABF8-F9F9E7E36E00.jpeg
Views: 260
Size:  24.0 KB

Thank you kindly!

~Chuck

Ordinary Seaman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    lankin

Hi chuck,

I am sorry, but I cannot help you with your question.

But maybe we can give you some tips to start a repaint.

Mostly it is a kind of technics, you can have some tips but I need to no which way to go.
    For "normal" ships you can look to the monthly workbench entries, for pirate style you can
    search youtube for maybe "paint king of war armada", that's more "comic"-style..

For more detail how to start painting, please ask if you want to retry the paining and
    give us some pictures of the "ruined ships" and an idea where you want to go.
    I think it is not so hard do do so, I you find the right way.

For Example, to paint the black pearl, an exaple is somewhere in this forum, I would let black primer
    do the most of the job, afterwards just set some typical highlights.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Chuck, I don't have the fine dexterity but I can give suggestions about paints. My advice is pretty much leave the Ares decks alone, and stick to the bulwarks and hull sides. This job will be immensely easier if you can figure out how to undo the glue that joins the sideplates to the "deck" top-plate and the guns-and-core block.

If you can get a sideplate off, it'll be immensely easier without having the whole rest of the ship to work around and fiddle with.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Ordinary Seaman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    lankin

Alright, i found the Black Pearl Thread again:

https://www.sailsofglory.org/showthr...or-Fun-Repaint

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

To get the aircraft in bits we usually place them in the freezer overnight and then drop them in very hot, NOT BOILING, water to shock the glue joints. Sometimes you need to repeat the process, but the sides should then prize off with a craft knife. Just watch your eyes in case a blade snaps. io wear goggles for this process.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

+ Reply to Thread