Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Default The Continental Risque.

I have just started this third book in a series by James Nelson.
    They are novels which chart the formation and development of the embryonic American Navy from the Rhode Island inception through the eyes of one Captain Isaac Biddlecombe.
    It is great to get the American point of view for a change, and fits in with my current interest in the American Navy.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Rob, I just finished the fifth and final book of the series (even though the series was originally called a trilogy) and I found the series got better with each subsequent book. Having said that, Book 3 The Continental Risque and Book 4 Lords of the Ocean were my two favorites. As a side note, the author sailed as Third Mate on the HMS Rose replica prior to its movie days in Master and Commander.
    Anthony
    "It seems to be law inflexible and inexorable that he who will not risk cannot win."
    John Paul Jones

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for the info Anthony.
    Very interesting and explains why his sail setting and handling is so well explained.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I just completed the final book today Anthony, and they were all just as good as you said they would be.
    Now I will have to seek out some more books with an American Captain.

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    I just completed the final book today Anthony, and they were all just as good as you said they would be.
    Now I will have to seek out some more books with an American Captain.

Rob.
    Rob, Nelson also wrote a book called the French Prize which is about Biddlecomb's son who becomes a merchant captain during the Quasi-war with France. The book has some of the same characters - Biddlecomb, Rumstick etc. I found it to be an enjoyable book as well.
    Anthony
    "It seems to be law inflexible and inexorable that he who will not risk cannot win."
    John Paul Jones

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Anthony. I will make that my next read if it is on Amazon Kindle.

Rob.