Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: What’s on your workbench for May?

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Thank you all for the nice words.

Looking at the pictures I think I should have sanded the hull a little.
    It's not as easy seen in real life as on the pictures, but it's a bit annoying on such detailed, beautiful models.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

And just to let you know, it’s far from good looking before I do the touch up.

Started the next one. San Ildefonso. Looks awful so far.
    Name:  CE731D9F-E553-4E85-90BE-BCC985BE9EA6.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  163.1 KB
    Last edited by TexaS; 05-14-2021 at 15:27.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

What are you using to SEE that small? I've thought about buying an Optivisor, but every time I pick one up at the store a thought goes through my head about "what does it matter how well I can see if I can't hit ONLY the small target and not hit the non-target around it" and put it back.

And then my wrist aches just THINKING about hand painting the port lids one by one... you give us all something to aspire to.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I recently bought something like this:

Name:  425068.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  49.1 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I have one of those Jonas, but it sits on a table stand. I use it for the light it gives. Never actually had the magnifying lid open.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Also, new paintbrushes with proper finger support are making a HUGE difference! :) Man, if I'd known to switch to fine artist's brushes instead of the crap they dump on the model/hobby market 20 years ago... I'm not gonna get cocky and say Jonas has company catchin' up, that'd be a complete crock of BS, but today's paintwork has a visible improvement over just this time yesterday.

Good Tools Matter, folks. :)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Progress Report to Admiralty, end of day 14 May 2021

Work Required on Ships Currently in Dockyard

ALL - masts/sails; carriages; guns/ports
    HMS Victory - need better info or reco's/ideas on striping/beakhead/galleries and deck details for Keppel's red scheme

Purisima Concepcion class
    --ARS Purisima Concepcion - silver for gallery, gold for figurehead, white for beakhead; need suggestions on Spanish bulwark colors
    --ARS San Jose - gold on beakhead, black markings on port/stbd forward quarters; ditto re bulwarks
    --HMS San Josef - Babypuke Ochre and black stripes on but need touchup; golden-yellow beakhead/gallery and [unk color] deck details to-do

Canada class
    HMS Canada - minor touchups on strakes and galleries; bulwarks; deck details; add red trim on stern gallery
    HMS Captain - minor stern details; bulwarks; deck details
    HMS Orion - repair lanterns; touchup; gallery and beakhead; bulwarks; deck details
    HMS Majestic - touchup; gallery and beakhead; bulwarks; deck details

Ganges class
    HMS Ganges - on hold at primer and windows; need paint references
    HMS Culloden - on hold at primer and windows; need paint references
    HMS Tremendous - on hold at primer and windows; waiting for white paint
    HMS Invincible - on hold at primer and windows; need paint references
    HMS Minden - deck details; bulwarks; beakhead/gallery touchup

Intrepid class
    HMS Polyphemus - deck details; touchup; gold on gallery/beakhead; bulwarks; red trim; need to determine ID marker
    HMS America - yellow sides; gold beak/gallery; bulwarks; red trim; need to determine ID marker
    Last edited by Diamondback; 05-14-2021 at 22:27.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Rob, I only use the magnifying glass for details such as the stern gallery, but it’s a big help to me then. I’d never even try to do the Spanish heraldry on the stern of Argonauta if I hadn’t had that one. It’s not really depicting anything, but it’s the right colours and that’s enough even for close inspection not to mention at gaming distance.

And despite using that magnifying glass I still see the failed painting in the photos when I put them up here in the thread.

DB, yes a good brush is very important. I bought some online for the first time during the pandemic and was surprised to be very pleased by it. Usually I buy them at conventions looking through the entire inventory searching for the perfect brush.
    Last edited by TexaS; 05-15-2021 at 00:05.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I must give mine a whirl then the next time I paint a model Jonas.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    Thank you all for the nice words.

Looking at the pictures I think I should have sanded the hull a little.
    It's not as easy seen in real life as on the pictures, but it's a bit annoying on such detailed, beautiful models.
    If you mean the marks left by the impression, don't worry, it doesn't show much. If you want to reduce these possible irregularities, I use Citadel inks, they are a little dense inks that cover well these types of irregularities, so that they do not spread and occupy the deepest parts, hiding the details, I apply the ink locally with a brush and then I apply a hair dryer to dry it quickly.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I meant the artifacts of the resolution of the printer.

Name:  03283786-1B22-457E-9053-C67C3424264A.jpeg
Views: 649
Size:  19.2 KB

Yes, I hide them with the ink of citadel which is dense.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

That’s clever.

I tried lightly sanding on a hull I haven’t started yet.

Name:  42D31863-E49E-4BB8-BF1A-4FBB65E548F8.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  132.2 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Meanwhile my terrain moves forward with the second item whilst the first glues up

Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Bligh; 05-15-2021 at 13:13.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Also found a better chart of the harbour.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Nice work, Rob.

Next year, when we are rid of the plague, I feel an urge to visit the convention where you will play that scenario...

It's coming along nicely Rob. You certainly have a talent for terrain building along with your shipbuilding and conversions skills.
    Anthony
    "It seems to be law inflexible and inexorable that he who will not risk cannot win."
    John Paul Jones

well done Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks chaps.
    I am about ready to undercoat the first two pieces and then they can have the sand texture added when dry tomorrow morning.

Rob.

Those terrain pieces look promising, Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Progress Report to Admiralty, end of day 15 May 2021

HMS Victory - need better info or reco's/ideas on striping/beakhead/galleries and deck details for Keppel's red scheme

Purisima Concepcion class
    --ARS Purisima Concepcion - silver for gallery, gold for figurehead, white for beakhead; need suggestions on Spanish bulwark colors
    --ARS San Jose - gold on beakhead, black markings on port/stbd forward quarters; ditto re bulwarks
    --HMS San Josef - touchup on red bulwarks, golden-yellow beakhead/gallery, Babypuke Ochre and black stripes; some [unk color] deck details to-do

Canada class
    HMS Canada - minor touchups on strakes and galleries; deck details; add red trim on stern gallery
    HMS Captain - minor stern details; deck details
    HMS Orion - repair lanterns; touchup; gallery and beakhead; deck details
    HMS Majestic - touchup; deck details

Ganges class
    HMS Ganges - on hold at primer and windows; need paint references
    HMS Culloden - on hold at primer and windows; need paint references
    HMS Tremendous - on hold at primer and windows; waiting for white paint
    HMS Invincible - on hold at primer and windows; need paint references
    HMS Minden - deck details; general touchup

Intrepid class
    HMS Polyphemus - deck details; touchup on stripes, end gold and bulwarks; red trim; need to determine ID marker
    HMS America - as per Polyphemus
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Nice work, Rob.

Next year, when we are rid of the plague, I feel an urge to visit the convention where you will play that scenario...
    We would be most happy to host you Jonas. I am sure that you would enjoy our weekends entertainment just as I always enjoy our trip to Prague.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Comte de Brueys View Post
    Those terrain pieces look promising, Rob.
    It is! "Promising" to be a headache marrying them in to the existing terrain, and also finding all the correct accessories. Looks as if I may be scratch building yet another outworks! Just to think it all started with the Battle of the Nile, and has given birth to my U.S. Navy and Moroccan one too, plus three Swedish Frigates.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

[QUOTE=Diamondback;100071]Progress Report to Admiralty, end of day 15 May 2021

Sir,
    I will minute your request for inclusion in the proceedings of the next meeting of the Navy board. I am sure that even baring the constraints of the current crisis they will be able to discover the funds to facilitate your needs. As for the inquiry regarding the Victory, I am sure that the Clerk of the Works will be able to enlighten you on this matter.
    I remain sir, your obt. svt.

Wm. Bligh. Secretary to the Board.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Undercoat now completed and also the harbour mole sketched out ready for cutting out.

Two GHQ 14-gun cutters for my Continental Navy. I am going to use the one on the right to represent John Paul Jones' Providence even though the rigging and the hull are slightly different than a sloop. I used the pictures from this site as a reference : https://tallshipprovidence.org/

Name:  IMG_0524.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  116.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0526.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  110.9 KB
    "It seems to be law inflexible and inexorable that he who will not risk cannot win."
    John Paul Jones

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

More ships for me to contemplate Anthony, and a very neat job you have made of them sir.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

More HEIC cards for the Squadron.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Nice work!

Myself I have been painting step markers for Gå På, GNW, in 15mm.

Name:  540CB6A3-50AC-43CA-A347-3365965C6713.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  156.6 KB

Name:  B4DBE390-9BB1-4317-AC4F-84EC06F59A66.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  177.4 KB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

And here they have taken their place in the Norra Skånska Kavalleriregementet.

Name:  0BC90E9A-413B-438C-8E62-C00D0F09066D.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  236.7 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A fine body of men Jonas.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Thank you, Rob.

Working on ships again.

Name:  7D664CD6-C287-455C-B776-915AFD1E609D.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  156.3 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

And on the physical workbench the extension coastline to the city is sanded and left to set overnight.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

This morning I painted and dry brushed the rocky headland before trying it in place. The other coastal strip is just waiting for the model houses and a fort to arrive in the first order from Grenadier miniatures.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Looks great, Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Another ship finished.

Name:  0D6BAD13-9C28-4C4C-AA4D-0542DB2E488A.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  159.7 KB

Name:  4AD6F8A0-5A08-4723-B1A2-4F90458DEADC.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  80.2 KB

Name:  CBBC54D1-CEA2-47D4-8B68-A32F6541BEEA.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  124.0 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

And that looks phenominal Jonas. I still can't get over those port lids.

Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    And that looks phenominal Jonas. I still can't get over those port lids.

Rob.
    Whenever I start to have the delusions of adequacy return, Jonas is always here to snap me back to reality. :)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Funny thing DB, is that I have the same feeling when Julián posts his works of art.

There’s always bigger fish.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

A little humility is a healthy thing. :)

L to R HMS San Josef (ex-ARS San Jose), ARS's San Jose (stripes) and Purisima Concepcion (2-tone)--PC is still waiting for white paint for her beakhead and silver for her stern gallery.

Victory with Polyphemus and America--the two Intrepids, one has a black top beak and the other yellow as a temporary ID marker.

And my toolkit... the bottlecaps are cheap disposable palletes for mixing paint; on the left we have assorted paintbrushes (Pixiss with triangular grip sections, and a set each horsehair and rubber tips from Hobby Lobby, along with several small disposable "modeler/hobby market" ones), sanding sticks, tiny drill bits and eyedroppers.

Not pictured, minor touchups on Canadas and Minden; Tremendous waiting for white paint and all other Ganges on hold pending references. Culloden is described at the Nile as "yellow sides with two narrow strakes," so I'm thinking to use Captain and Majestic as "paratypes", possibly try to narrow the strakes like Orion. Maybe go with a yellow more like the Intrepids to represent her being "shiny and new" in contrast to her Canada line-mates being "yesterday's news."
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    A little humility is a healthy thing. :)

And my toolkit... the bottlecaps are cheap disposable palletes for mixing paint; on the left we have assorted paintbrushes (Pixiss with triangular grip sections, and a set each horsehair and rubber tips from Hobby Lobby, along with several small disposable "modeler/hobby market" ones), sanding sticks, tiny drill bits and eyedroppers.

Not pictured, minor touchups on Canadas and Minden; Tremendous waiting for white paint and all other Ganges on hold pending references. Culloden is described at the Nile as "yellow sides with two narrow strakes," so I'm thinking to use Captain and Majestic as "paratypes", possibly try to narrow the strakes like Orion. Maybe go with a yellow more like the Intrepids to represent her being "shiny and new" in contrast to her Canada line-mates being "yesterday's news."
    I am now so humble that even my humility is humble DB.

I like your tool kit. I have tried to cut mine down to just what I need for the ongoing project and keep all ancillary items off the workbench, but I fail every time and by half way through a project I find myself upto the eyeballs in clutter.

I like your idea for Captain and await the finished model with anticipation. I may well unashamedly poach your paint scheme for my ship.

Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Consider that my "workbenches" are a windowsill and kitchen and bathroom counters... the latter two of which require me to be able to pack everything up on a moment's notice whenever the Ill-Tempered Mutant Landwhale decides it's time to Godzilla-stomp her way around the studio again.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

DB, I think you've gotten the lines on your ships to be good. You switched brush or something? It shows.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Thanks, Jonas--between practice and new brushes with a better grip section that's less painful to hold, and stopping more frequently for breaks before tremors get a chance to hit, I'm not sure which is making the biggest difference.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Those brushes with triangular grip sections are very good. I got a couple from my local art shop before the lockdown, and if he reopens this week I will pop in and buy a few more sizes from him.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

The are great.

Name:  2CAA447B-1642-44DB-98E0-68501A350517.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  84.4 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Consignment arrived so I can now get on with my fishing village.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I can’t wait to see the finished Tripoli.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I can’t wait to see the finished Tripoli.
    Me either. Algiers would be cool too... too bad Pellew had to come in and finish what we started without us sticking around to see it through; after our navies having to fight each other it wouldn't be until decades later in joint West African anti-slavery patrols that the value of Anglo-American teamwork and the future "Atlantic Bridge" would have a chance to really show itself.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB