Thread: What’s on your workbench for May?

Hybrid View

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I started by drybrushing the deck with the beige and then I pseudo-drybrushed the darker reddish parts. Then I painted in the things I missed by drybrushing like touching up the edges on those two colours. After that I painted in the gun carriages and finishing the deck by putting a wash of black. That put back some of the black lines and made the gun carriages stand out more.

Perhaps I should make a thread where I post pictures after each step to make it a bit easier to understand?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

If you do that Jonas I will post it on the How To Forum.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Also regarding the sails. It would seem to be the way to go as we have a ready supply in the ships we are replacing with Henry's.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Also regarding the sails. It would seem to be the way to go as we have a ready supply in the ships we are replacing with Henry's.

Rob.
    True, but I'd still prefer an alternate source--I'm archiving my Ares models rather than scrapping them, and the estate plans are that if my collection gets broken up whoever buys a given ship gets both the Ares original and the upgrade as a package deal.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

If you do that Jonas I will post it on the How To Forum.

Rob.
    I wrote a thread about how I paint the deck of my prints. I'm not sure it should be a "this is the way to paint your printed ship" but, more of this is one possible way to do it.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    I started by drybrushing the deck with the beige and then I pseudo-drybrushed the darker reddish parts. Then I painted in the things I missed by drybrushing like touching up the edges on those two colours. After that I painted in the gun carriages and finishing the deck by putting a wash of black. That put back some of the black lines and made the gun carriages stand out more.

Perhaps I should make a thread where I post pictures after each step to make it a bit easier to understand?
    Did you thin your black wash at all Jonas?

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post

Excellent work Jonas. I looked at the new thread you started with all the steps but didn't want to post there and interrupt the flow. Its amazing how you bring out the tiny details on the ship. Well done and thank you for posting!
    "It seems to be law inflexible and inexorable that he who will not risk cannot win."
    John Paul Jones

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Continentaleye View Post
    Excellent work Jonas. I looked at the new thread you started with all the steps but didn't want to post there and interrupt the flow. Its amazing how you bring out the tiny details on the ship. Well done and thank you for posting!
    Thank you. I think that by posting photos it's easier to understand.

It also shows that the first colours doesn't really matter to paint perfectly as it'll be covered up later. You may paint the capstans before the wash. I did with the first two but not these three.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Continentaleye View Post
    Well done that man.
    I refrained also, because it is much easier to turn into a "How to" on that Forum if it is not adulterated with comments which I then have to delete before I can transfer it.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Well done that man.
    I refrained also, because it is much easier to turn into a "How to" on that Forum if it is not adulterated with comments which I then have to delete before I can transfer it.

Rob.
    As it was about painting the deck I think it's done.

I don't know if I can impart any smart ideas on painting the hull. I think we all basically do the same there.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Well done that man.

Rob.
    Turns out you will have to clean it up now.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well it will keep me busy, but we need to discuss this Jonas. I will have to turn it into one post, which will only credit you with one point for all your several posts, or I could extract each post and put them into my file to transfer, leaving these originals here. The downside to that is it wquld then look as if I had posted it to the "How to" forum. I will try and think a way around this, but if you tell me your preferred one if I fail I can get onto it for you.
    Rob.