Thread: American Schooner stats.

Hybrid View

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Rob, do you have a specific ship you're trying to mimic with your schooner? I'd look to Sixth Rates as an approximation, the French built a lot of two-masted brig-corvettes in that general rating IIRC but those were all square rigs.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I am doing three schooners for my American Med squadron DB.

Enterprise when she had the 12 x 12 pdr guns on one side of the ship log and with the 1811 set of 2 x 9 pdr and 14 x 18 pdr guns with 80 crew. I also noticed that her tonnage went up to 165 from 135 at that time.

Also Vixen with 111 crew and Nautilus with her 103 crew.

If you can help I would be grateful.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    I am doing three schooners for my American Med squadron DB.

Enterprise when she had the 12 x 12 pdr guns on one side of the ship log and with the 1811 set of 2 x 9 pdr and 14 x 18 pdr guns with 80 crew. I also noticed that her tonnage went up to 165 from 135 at that time.

Also Vixen with 111 crew and Nautilus with her 103 crew.

If you can help I would be grateful.

Rob.
    Ooh, that's gonna be sticky... don't forget that Enterprise was rerigged as a brig sometime before the War of 1812. Size is smaller than a Swan, not sure if construction materials will make up the difference. Twelve 12's is about half the broadside of an Amazon, maybe start the Gunnery track halfway between Swan and Amazon with faster decay.

You could probably get away with treating Enterprise, Experiment, Vixen and Nautilus all as near-sisters. IIRC, one of those three was ordered with the intent of a straight second copy of the design, but the plans were missing or destroyed even then so they tried to wing it taking the basic specs and working up an "improved version."
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks DB, I will run with the halfway house idea and cut back on the strength of the bulwarks with faster decay as you suggest.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.