Thread: Hook, Line, and Sink Her

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    That was an interesting scenario by Captain Duff and well played and written by Captain Continentaleye.

You refer to your Campaign, is this something based on a series of battles or something more substantial in scope. I've been intending playing a 30 day commerce raiding game based around the Master and Commander book but can't seem to get my head around the sailing rules I want to include. Dobbs has an interesting chase system that I've yet to use but as the raiding ship will chase prizes and run away from warships then that and the effect of weather are probably the 2 main elements. I was going to just use the days weather forecast to create weather but that was in Febuary, now it's too benign to have as much effect as I would like.

I'd be interested to hear what you are doing.
    Cheers
    John, I don't have my campaign completely mapped out. I have an overall idea of what I want. I am doing an AWI campaign and have a list of captains from France, England, and the United Colonies (as the Americans initially identified themselves.) The first scenario, Limping to Safety I designed myself and then I searched this site, old Wooden Ships & Iron Men scenarios (including those from the General magazine), and read both historical and fictional books about the period to find scenario ideas. I let the results of my most recent completed scenario dictate the path of the next scenario. When I'm stuck on what the next scenario should be (like now with Captain Favorsham), I switch to playing another country.

Currently, I'm working on a fictionalized version of an event that happened during the siege of Boston. The British were in dire need of wood to use fuel for warmth and sent smaller ships to forage for it on the Northern Massachusetts Coast (in what is now Maine). The colonists tried to prevent this. My scenario includes a British sloop of war and a lightly armed merchantman, The colonial forces will have a brig and a schooner. The gist of the objectives is the British (AI) must make it downriver and out to open sea and the colonials (me) must stop them and if they are able to capture either, or both of the British ships, they will be able to use them in a subsequent scenario. I plan on using Dobbs' rules for currents as well as having a field artillery piece or two on land for the colonial militia. I will use the Ares HMS Swan and I have completed making the brig, schooner and merchantman from GHQ models, now I'm working on the riverside terrain and when that's finished, I will give the scenario a go and see where that leads.

Anthony
    "It seems to be law inflexible and inexorable that he who will not risk cannot win."
    John Paul Jones

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Antony, thanks for laying out your thoughts, it sounds like a good way to go, especially for a solo campaign.
    I'm planning on a 2 player game for a couple of friends, both of them will be British commerce raiders and they are in competition with each other for prizes and glory but not antagonists. I'll pre-programe French and Spanish warship movements and use a sighting table and dice roll to provide target merchantmen.
    It will be an email postal game, so they will make decisions such as, you see a sail hull down, do you close or run, that sort of thing rather than a table top battle sort of thing.

Look forward to seeing how your campaign pans out.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Antony, thanks for laying out your thoughts, it sounds like a good way to go, especially for a solo campaign.
    I'm planning on a 2 player game for a couple of friends, both of them will be British commerce raiders and they are in competition with each other for prizes and glory but not antagonists. I'll pre-programe French and Spanish warship movements and use a sighting table and dice roll to provide target merchantmen.
    It will be an email postal game, so they will make decisions such as, you see a sail hull down, do you close or run, that sort of thing rather than a table top battle sort of thing.

Look forward to seeing how your campaign pans out.
    John, I don't know if you've seen the "Smugglers Run" Black Seas supplement. It is a free download on the Warlord Games site. You might find some of the info and tables applicable to your commerce raider campaign. I think that many of the random tables and a few of the scenarios could be adapted to SGN with very little difficulty. I played through a couple of the scenarios using SGN rules with my son while he was home from college due to the pandemic. He's back to school now and I haven't looked at the supplement since he left but now I see I can even incorporate some of the ideas into my own AWI solo campaign.

I would upload the supplement to this site but I don't want to run afoul of any copyright issues. You can find it here if you are interested: https://store.warlordgames.com/collections/black-seas

Anthony
    "It seems to be law inflexible and inexorable that he who will not risk cannot win."
    John Paul Jones