Thread: Red border cards

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

Default Red border cards

Not been playing and need some clarification. If I move on my first planned movement card and I end up facing into the wind, do I use both the single hourglass move and for my second move use the 2 hourglass move, after which I could be back to normal moves?
    Many thanks.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Each turn, you plan a move using the blue cards. If, at the start of a turn, the pointer shows that you are in the red arc instead of the green or orange, you play the red card that matches the blue card you chose for that turn. If it is your first turn in the red arc, you play the 1 hourglass. All subsequent turns until you are back in a green or orange arc, you use the 2 hourglass oriented at the back of the boat. Think of it that when the ship first turns into the wind it has some inertia carrying it forward. On the following turns the inertia is gone and the ship is blowing backwards.

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

Ok great, thanks for your time and trouble, much clearer now.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Hi again Ken, just to what already been said, each card in your ships manoeuvre deck has a veer rating, normally in the top left or right corner, which is used for turning as well as when you sail into the wind.
    The three red border cards are marked as 4-, 5 and 6+, so if at the beginning of the movement phase and you are sailing into the wind ( you are in the red border ) you look at the veer rating of the card you picked to play and replace it with the appropriate red border card depending what veer it is.
    First time you put the card at the bow of your ship and use the first hour glass, second or subsequent consecutive turns the red card goes on the stern of the ship and you use the two hourglass card after comparing the veer of the chosen card.
    So to clarify, you never choose a red border card yourself, it replaces the card you wanted to play.
    Also if you get back into green or orange and then go back into red the process starts again with first card using one hourglass and subsequent uses teo hourglass.
    Hope this helps