Thread: Anchor aweigh. Let go the downhauls, hoist away.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Default Anchor aweigh. Let go the downhauls, hoist away.

Greetings all.
    Getting underway.

I have an interest in the history and ship handling, as well as the provision and usage of ordnance and supply.
    My squadron is all 3d printed in FDM/PLA, and I've been mostly looking at Signal Close action.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Welcome to the Anchorage David. Do get in touch with Captain Duff, our Captain of the Fleet. He is from Bristol.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Welcome David, if I can help in anyway drop me a pm

Quote Originally Posted by Lieste View Post
    Greetings all.
    Getting underway.

I have an interest in the history and ship handling, as well as the provision and usage of ordnance and supply.
    My squadron is all 3d printed in FDM/PLA, and I've been mostly looking at Signal Close action.
    Welcome aboard.

Rod Langton's game? A good set of rules for large fleet actions. Say, were you involved in testing for Naval Action a few years ago?

I am about to get a 3d printer myself - research has led me to the Anycubic Mono.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Welcome to the Anchorage, David, from here near Norwich.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Yes, Langton's 4ed ruleset, though I have some things I want to re-work to my own taste.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Must admit to having tried a couple of rulesets, by which .i mean read through, but always found them to be overly detailed and in parts confusing. i hasten to say here that confusing to me.
    When Sails came out it hit the right blend for me, easy enough to pick up with the three versions and enough detail by adding in extra optional rules.
    Sails is not by any means a detailed technical version of Napoleonic Naval warfare, other rulesets fulfill that in my opinion. But it does give you a good feel for the period and ship handling. It is not perfect and some rules leave you thinking “why on earth is it like that” but for me the rules work and scratches that itch for Sailing ship warfare.
    I will not say I am an expert but if I can assist you with a rule or an interpretation don't hesitate to give me a shout.
    Am so looking forward to having a game of sails again and a long chat with an opponent, maybe see you at a show or some such in the not too distant future now

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Welcome aboard, from a bunker somewhere under the Cascade Mountains foothills near Seattle.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.