Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What's on Your Workbench for April?

I like the way you are using the supports as a painting holder.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    I like the way you are using the supports as a painting holder.
    They're also being used as temporary bases for assembly. :)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I wish that I had thought of that before stripping them off all the ships that Henry sent me.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I strip it off before curing the prints to be sure I don’t damage the model. The print is a bit more rubbery before curing after which it gets a bit more brittle. I may have to rethink that. Perhaps I should just cut off the supports for the catheads and lanterns. I also print the ships with the stern higher than the stem to get better details.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

A little pop of green for Canada's bulkheads and beakhead, as seen on the reference model...

Other than deck details and guns, and repainting the inner poop bulwarks red (since done; to do there is now the skylight casings), what are the biggest things left I need to do on the hull? I'm thinking about cutting the lanterns off to match Ares, and using wire instead of thread rigging for a little extra reinforcement. That curved inner bulkhead at the front of the quarterdeck doesn't correspond to any feature of the model... did I somehow get my Canada and Ganges prints backward?
    Last edited by Diamondback; 05-01-2021 at 23:32.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

When you remove the supports you will see Canada class on the bottom of that ship.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I found that most useful in just confirming that I was correct about the identity of the ships.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    A little pop of green for Canada's bulkheads and beakhead, as seen on the reference model...

Other than deck details and guns, and repainting the inner poop bulwarks red (since done; to do there is now the skylight casings), what are the biggest things left I need to do on the hull? I'm thinking about cutting the lanterns off to match Ares, and using wire instead of thread rigging for a little extra reinforcement. That curved inner bulkhead at the front of the quarterdeck doesn't correspond to any feature of the model... did I somehow get my Canada and Ganges prints backward?
    No DB, the model must be in error. The deck plan for the Canada class vlearly shows the curved bulwark

Name:  kdavMVi.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  17.4 KB

https://www.kenthistoryforum.com/index.php?topic=185

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Could be that was part of the "Modifications" introduced with Captain too. This is the only ref I could find for Canada herself:
    https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/a...lection-no-45/
    (note, MSW galleries are hidden to non-members)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That would be a relief if it were because my model will be Captain.

Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    That would be a relief if it were because my model will be Captain.

Rob.
    I got four to do the entire class... if this model of Captain is right we need to remove the center lanterns.
    https://www.modelshipmaster.com/prod...MS_CAPTAIN.htm

This is the model I'm using for reference on my own Captain, Vallejo 862 Black Gray and 977 Desert Yellow with a Citadel Caledor Sky beakhead/forward bulwark. The reference model appears to have a very dark Yellow Ochre trim, and David Manley suggested something similar to a WWII Afrikakorps yellow/tan.

Orion looks like just a plain overall Yellow Ochre from eyewitness reports at Nile; if I'm reading same source right Majestic should be similar to Captain but reducing the black to only the strake between LD and UD ports. Of course, I welcome any additional references... :)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks DB. I have saved those pictures.

Rob.