Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's on Your Workbench for April?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Default What's on Your Workbench for April?

Today I has been mainly doing Mast ectomies.

Rob.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Have a batch of Henry's ships due to start on their way soon, I'll try to get comparison pics with similar Ares ships once they come in.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Today I has been mainly doing Mast ectomies.

Rob.
    Mast ectomies.....what I said about stitches!
    Are those more resin ships from Rod?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

They are indeed Vol.
    Got a start on the ships today but this second delivery for my British Fleet arrived today and upset the time schedule.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

What I did manage to do is here.

What I did manage to do is here.
    That is an interesting deck configuration Rob. What is that exactly? At first I thought a bomb, but I don't see a mortar.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You are almost spot on Vol. It is one of Rod Langton's Bomb vessels. The two guns are on turntables behind the revetments.

You may see them better now I have started painting the deck. I will knock out a quick picture for you.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here you go. I think the top down view is the best, although the rearmost gun is masked by the sails. They should be more obvious when I get them painted. The sails and masts are a cut and paste job from some Ares ones I had left over.
    Rob.

Here you go. I think the top down view is the best, although the rearmost gun is masked by the sails. They should be more obvious when I get them painted. The sails and masts are a cut and paste job from some Ares ones I had left over.
    Rob.
    Ah yes, I see them now. Odd seeing a Langton with Aries plastic masts and sails.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Wherever I can I try to keep the feel of the Ares ships just for continuity's sake Vol. However the schooners will be 100% Langton.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here are a few shots of the completed model.

Very well done Rob. It looks great.
    Anthony

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Anthony.
    Now I can get on with my two schooners.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here are my cards for the Bomb.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Barry

This WAS on my workbench for April, but I finished it so quickly I forgot to do any WIP pictures.

It was my first attempt at a SoG repaint to see how quickly I could get an OK result.

Having learnt a few lessons I'll try to speed paint 7 more ships.

Name:  Duguay-Trouin.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  221.2 KB

Here are a few shots of the completed model.
    That looks just like an Aries model! Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by brasidas69 View Post
    This WAS on my workbench for April, but I finished it so quickly I forgot to do any WIP pictures.

It was my first attempt at a SoG repaint to see how quickly I could get an OK result.

Having learnt a few lessons I'll try to speed paint 7 more ships.

Name:  Duguay-Trouin.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  221.2 KB
    Nice job Barry! I like the effect on the sails.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

My schooner build starts here.

Fitting Bowsprit and masts.

Meshuda Rob?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

No I have two and they are going to be USS Enterprise, and Vixen Vol.
    if they go well my second wave will be USS Nautilus and Meshuda plus the extra gunboats I need for both sides.

Rob.

Quatre frères*(1796) was an interesting shooner. 12 gun under Tripoly flag and 16 gun under US flag as 'Scourge'.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quat...es_(1796_ship)

Nightmoss might be interested in this. Yesterday was a windy day so I spent the day cutting mast sets. 7 third rate sets and 5 first rate sets. All of the ends squared off and the tops of the t'gallant masts tapered with a Dremel. They will all be ready for when I feel like wearing a respirator all day to glue them together.

Name:  20210409_185630.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  184.8 KB
    Name:  20210409_185641.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  200.9 KB
    Name:  20210409_185649.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  190.4 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Quatre frères*(1796) was an interesting shooner. 12 gun under Tripoly flag and 16 gun under US flag as 'Scourge'.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quat...es_(1796_ship)
    How perceptive of you my dear friend. These ship names were done by me a couple of hours ago. Mind reading or what? Bye the way no way was I upset by your previous post.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Nightmoss might be interested in this. Yesterday was a windy day so I spent the day cutting mast sets. 7 third rate sets and 5 first rate sets. All of the ends squared off and the tops of the t'gallant masts tapered with a Dremel. They will all be ready for when I feel like wearing a respirator all day to glue them together.
    Very nice, Vol. You've created a healthy supply for future endeavors.

I've taken a break from ship model building to focus on creating some dioramas to actually display existing ships. The prospects of any face to face gaming is non existent at this point so I might as well create some semi permanent displays to enjoy the ships outside of storage boxes
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Very nice, Vol. You've created a healthy supply for future endeavors.

I've taken a break from ship model building to focus on creating some dioramas to actually display existing ships. The prospects of any face to face gaming is non existent at this point so I might as well create some semi permanent displays to enjoy the ships outside of storage boxes
    Haha, no these are for all of those ships I have already painted.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Haha, no these are for all of those ships I have already painted.
    I see. Well, you best get cracking then. You've got a lot of ships laid up that need final fitting out!
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

My two schooners move on a pace today.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Overnight I have added more sails.

Overnight I have added more sails.
    I have always thought this was one of Rod's best looking models!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Of those of his I have, I would tend to agree with you Vol.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Took a bit of a break today to get another small project done.
    When discussing the shortage of Movement decks for my Langton ships, it was suggested that I split the decks into two simply leaving one of each manouver card in each half. That was fine for mt one card manouver games, but I did not want to keep having to reunite cards for two card games and then having the fag of resplitting them every time, as som 20 odd ships are effected in this way.
    I came up with this card today which can be played in a two card game with a half deck.
    All you do is play it as you would a second card if you want to keep the same move for the next phase. It moves up into position one just as if it were a regular card, but when played, the previous card played takes its place. Ares could have given us all much smaller decks! Here is my Master card and a card for the C deck. Today I have knocked out cards for the six different decks I am currently using with my American squadron and Algerine ships.
    Rob.

The "Hold Your Course" cards are an excellent idea Rob!
    Anthony
    "It seems to be law inflexible and inexorable that he who will not risk cannot win."
    John Paul Jones

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The other upside to it which I forgot to mention Anthony, is that you don't have so many cards to search through to find the one you want.
    Just imagine WW1 wings cards cut down by nearly two thirds, for only two extra cards needed.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Hmmm, Rob, this is a good idea! I am thinking that everyone also gets a d10 to indicate what their last card was.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

BTW, I have a bunch of unused card decks that I could be encouraged to part with...(a list forthcoming if there's an interest.).

Nice project, Rob.

Still with the Barbary Wars?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    BTW, I have a bunch of unused card decks that I could be encouraged to part with...(a list forthcoming if there's an interest.).
    Always open to the odd deck of cards Dobbs. To paraphrase Lord Wellington. ' Post and be dammned'.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Comte de Brueys View Post
    Nice project, Rob.

Still with the Barbary Wars?
    Yes indeed my dear Comte. Soon I will be in a position to post both fleets once I have completed a few schooners and a couple more gunboats. That is why I have had to split decks to cater with all the new non Ares ships. Printing new full decks was costing an arm and an eye in printer inks, photo paper and time.

Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Well, Henry's ships are somewhere in transit and I'm consulting references Rob at Ares sent me to select Vallejo paints for 'em.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Yes indeed my dear Comte. Soon I will be in a position to post both fleets once I have completed a few schooners and a couple more gunboats. That is why I have had to split decks to cater with all the new non Ares ships. Printing new full decks was costing an arm and an eye in printer inks, photo paper and time.

Rob.
    I bought an Epson ET series printer when I last replaced mine. (The first was an ET-2650, but I added an ET-7750 (A3) as well)
    Colour photos cost about the same as Laser mono prints... and the ink tanks last a *very* long time.

There is an upfront investment - it is a bit more than a 'standard' printer, but the running cost is like ink, rather than more expensive than premium champagne, gold and diamonds.

Normal ink cartridges are stupidly expensive for very small usable capacity.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

What do you think to Vallego paints DB? My number one son rates them highly, although I have always used mainly Citadel, Foundry or Revell.

Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    I also have a few spare decks and am looking for some devks for my new ships, maybe we could/ should start a thread listing these

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You mean like a card swap club Chris?

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Second schooner got the full works today. Both schooners are now ready for the jib sails to be fitted.
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

You mean like a card swap club Chris?

Rob.
    Indeed, if this is acceptable, bonafide decks only

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hi Chris.
    It may also interest you to know that I have been finally won over to KR for ship storage.Having had a bit of a do with FiC, all my ships for America and the Algerines plus my Cruel Seas models are KR.docked. What is more they all fit into my FiC carrying cases.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

What do you think to Vallego paints DB? My number one son rates them highly, although I have always used mainly Citadel, Foundry or Revell.

Rob.
    Vallejo were my go-to for custom repaints in War at Sea days, more convenient for me to get and one of the Forumini crew had pre-built the cross-reference on them for our game. Also liked the easy cleanup (which is common for most acrylic brands) and portability where I could throw a few bottles and a small box with several minis into dead-space in my laptop bag.

I USED to use Testor Model Master for my entire modeling life, but that's problematic with them going the way of the dinosaur. Revell's only just now spinning up over here trying to fill the hole in the market, don't have any experience with Citadel or Foundry. (I avoid Games Workshop stores like they were plague ships...)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I still have two cans of Testor dullcoat and am guarding it like gold DB. It is the only thing I have found which will disguise the opaque bloom that sometimes clouds the models when you varnish them in unsuitable weather conditions.
    Foundry colours have been my paint of choice for years because they give you three paints in the same colour, light, the basic colour, and shade. Also a friend of mine used to run the Company's Nottingham HQ. They were also in direct competition with Workshop and very handy for me to visit. Unfortunately they have now moved to near Newark which means a longer trip for supplies, and you can't just walk in anymore.

I have a few Revell paints but they are not easy to find locally. Vallejo are now obtainable at Hobbycraft, so I will give them a go when we can get into the shop again.

Rob.