Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's on Your Workbench for April?

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Wait, Testors went under?!? I just bought some Dullcote the other day...maybe I need to have a run on the dwindling supplies!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I only found out from DB Dobbs.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Schooners now undercoated and ready for painting.
    Rob.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    Wait, Testors went under?!? I just bought some Dullcote the other day...maybe I need to have a run on the dwindling supplies!
    Rustoleum, their parent company, basiclly gutted the business unit, stripping it down to kits and a handful of basic paints/glues.
    https://www.trains.com/mrr/news-revi...pactra-brands/
    http://rrmodelcraftsman.com/testors-...f-model-paint/
    http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/...ales-affected/

Why even BOTHER making kits if you're not gonna offer the supplies to finish 'em?

While the fancy Flash version is dead, until they build a replacement system Paint4Models has put the original PDF of their Color Reference Chart back up as a workaround if a klunky and crude one. https://www.paint4models.com Still having a devil of a time finding a good match for FS 15200, kind of a Capri Blue, if I ever find another kit and decals to take another run at building an old prof's F-106...
    Last edited by Diamondback; 04-14-2021 at 22:14.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Can't you get a mixed paint to match a sample/specification from a decorators/art supplier? I have had some particular shades mixed up when it was more economical than buying several paints and mixing the same shade by hand. (For application by brush and sponge, and as a wash, not for an airbrush as I don't have one... and I'd varnish before/after the colour coats to make an unknown quality behave as expected on a model, but it might be a possible way of getting any colour you need without the search being long and fruitless.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Did find a supplier who's compliant with FS spec, but ten bucks for two ounces on a project that may never resume is a little steep. Tamiya X23 looks close enough though and a lot cheaper.

This is almost identical to the plane my prof woulda flown, in fact the only reason it wasn't his Boss Bird is a crash a few weeks before he assumed command:
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Barry

This is what WAS on my workbench (living room table) this week.

As I said previously I tried (and succeeded) to do another 7 repaints/rigging of Sails of Glory ships this week.

I didn't work very intensively and was pleased it didn't take as long per ship as doing the first one alone.

1 French Squadron (one 80, three 74s) and one British (one 1st Rate, one 74, two 64s)

Might play with them this week - I'll take a break from modelling!

Name:  Both fleets flash.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  292.4 KB

Name:  Both fleets no flash.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  227.6 KB

Name:  Both fleets 2.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  130.2 KB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Name:  1AE01F27-1F55-44F1-B638-2787AA2F3220.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  215.6 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Pretty spectacular Jonas.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by brasidas69 View Post
    This is what WAS on my workbench (living room table) this week.

As I said previously I tried (and succeeded) to do another 7 repaints/rigging of Sails of Glory ships this week.

I didn't work very intensively and was pleased it didn't take as long per ship as doing the first one alone.

1 French Squadron (one 80, three 74s) and one British (one 1st Rate, one 74, two 64s)

Might play with them this week - I'll take a break from modelling!
    Very nice, Barry! I am particularly interested in your ratlines. Perhaps you could offer a description of how you did them? I assume you drew them up?

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Name:  7349F80F-AB7A-492B-9607-1E4560B53B21.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  240.8 KB

Quite big indiaman.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Where did your new acquisitions come from, Jonas?

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

They’re printed ships from Henry Turner. He only included 1:1000 in his Age of Admirals Kickstarter but the 1:700 for FDM printed at 70% works very well. The DLA/resin is hard to get good prints at 70% due to the details being too small. Not necessarily to print, but they’re too brittle. I’ve broken details just by handling them while cleaning.
    Last edited by TexaS; 04-16-2021 at 08:51.

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    They’re printed ships from Henry Turner. He only included 1:1000 in his Age of Admirals Kickstarter but the 1:700 for FDM printed at 70% works very well. The DLA/resin is hard to get good prints at 70% due to the details being too small. Not necessarily to print, but they’re too brittle. I’ve broken details just by handling them while cleaning.
    I purchased a pack of 0.20MM nozzles just for that purpose Jonas. I haven't got around to swapping the 0.40MM nozzle out yet.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I take it from that you have your own printer Jonas!

Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Name:  7349F80F-AB7A-492B-9607-1E4560B53B21.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  240.8 KB

Quite big indiaman.
    Indiaman, or Flying Dutchman? lol Is that his Falmouth?

Henry tells me that BHR is planned for his stab at Continentals, and I'm trying to persuade him to also do a Pre-Refit version to upgrade the Ares non-BHR SGN116's.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Alright, I checked with Rustoleum and they are shutting down Modelmaster. Dullcote seems safe for now. With this in mind, Suzanne and I have a business trip to Annapolis planned for Sunday, which will include a stop at Star Hobbies, which has a good rack of Modelmaster paints. If anyone has any requests, price and shipping will get them. We'll also be stopping at Mom's Organic Grocery, so if you want meal worms, this is your chance. I know I'm getting some!

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I had to go back and check the file on the indiaman. It turns out I printed that one in 1:700... It looked too big and it was too big.

Yes, Rob. I've got a 3D resin printer. It's an Anycubic Photon mono. It's quite cheap, and compared to what they cost just a few years ago it was a steal. It's very easy to operate, but the cleaning and curing afterwards is quite a hassle. I just bought a wash and cure station, so I'll see if that helps.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I know they are called meal worms Dobbs, but they reallt only provide you with a snack on their own.
    Bligh.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for your info on that Jonas. Looks as if this is the way forward.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Name:  D62B434A-52C6-4EEA-9AE6-73AE75573103.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  231.9 KB

This on the other hand is on scale. It’s San Jose in 1:1000.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

As I found with my Kickstarter set, the details are very impressive Jonas.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Name:  B0EAA0BD-A37D-4D72-8ECE-87FCE1ABB74A.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  305.9 KB

A few more ships spray painted.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looking good Jonas.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

With a bit of a holdup on my schooner project, I have started the first of my ships from Henry's Kickstarter today.
    Here is Diana in process of being painted prior to raising her masts which will be from my Ares spares collection.

Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 04-21-2021 at 00:37.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

And today I got her finished. Just the ship mat to do now.

Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 04-21-2021 at 00:36.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Henry's multinational fleet arrived today!

In the queue:
    ---1778 HMS Victory (pre-refit, to be painted 1760s-70s red)
    ---Purisima Concepcion 3-deckers: ARS Purisima Concepcion, ARS San Jose, HMS San Josef
    ---Canada 74's: HMS Canada, HMS Captain, HMS Orion, HMS Majestic
    ---Ganges 74's: HMS Ganges, HMS Culloden, HMS Tremendous, HMS Invincible, HMS Minden
    ---Intrepid 64's: HMS Polyphemus, HMS America (upgrades for Ares ships)

If these work out well, it'll be time to order up a batch of Nepomucenos and round out the Intrepids.

EDIT...

Two lanterns missing on one hull, but other than that the hard part is gonna be sorting out the masts, and figuring out spritsails and drivers.
    Last edited by Diamondback; 04-20-2021 at 21:51.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

They are really impressive even in the raw DB. They will certainly grace the games table when they come off the stocks. I lok forward to seeing them completed. Any thoughts on colour schemes for Captain and Culloden? They will be my next two to be fitted out.

Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Culloden at the Nile is described as "yellow sides with two narrow black strakes. David Manley referred me to this paining by William Anderson:

For Captain I'm thinking this model might be your best bet as reference: https://www.modelshipmaster.com/prod...MS_CAPTAIN.htm

Canada I'm thinking varnished wood with blue or green stripes as I saw on one model, Majestic overall yellow with a broad black strake between gunports, Orion overall yellow with thinner black stripes based on this model: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Or...ion_(1787).JPG
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks DB. That was quick.
    Your signals officer must be on the ball today.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Thanks DB. That was quick.
    Your signals officer must be on the ball today.
    Rob.
    Caught me with insomnia and trying to work up tomorrow's shopping list for the craft store... :) if this crap keeps up for much more than another 2-3 hours I might as well forget sleep and start powering down put-hair-on-your-chest doses of caffeine.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

You guys are cranking on! It is fun to see the excitement and activity with the new ships. DB that is the same model I used for inspiration for my HMS Captain.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well its back to the schoonerisms today. So it's down with the pasts and on with the maintwork.

I had to go back and check the file on the indiaman. It turns out I printed that one in 1:700... It looked too big and it was too big.

Yes, Rob. I've got a 3D resin printer. It's an Anycubic Photon mono. It's quite cheap, and compared to what they cost just a few years ago it was a steal. It's very easy to operate, but the cleaning and curing afterwards is quite a hassle. I just bought a wash and cure station, so I'll see if that helps.
    The Mono is the top of my list. I may just start out with the pickle basket and UV nail curer first though. I am taking a long time to pull the trigger but that has more to do with broaching the subject with the admiral then anything else!

I have found some good YouTube channels with tips and equipment for washing and curing. One guy is called "Uncle Jessy" and he has a list of cheap tools to help. (sorry I can't link YT at work).

Which resin have you been using?

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Schoonerisms!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well spotted Dobbs.
    Here we are just starting to set up the masts last evening.

I am also making a stay out of wire to reinforce the union of the Jib sails with the foremast.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here you can see the stay in place disguised as rigging.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I'd probably rig that as a fore staysail, only taking the jib to the fore top mast. Looks odd with the different line of action of the stay above and within the sail.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I did consider that, but my ships are intended to be as like Ares as I can get them. I thought long and hard before even adding this and wanted to make it as short as I could David. It was also the easiest angle to do.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    The Mono is the top of my list. I may just start out with the pickle basket and UV nail curer first though. I am taking a long time to pull the trigger but that has more to do with broaching the subject with the admiral then anything else!

I have found some good YouTube channels with tips and equipment for washing and curing. One guy is called "Uncle Jessy" and he has a list of cheap tools to help. (sorry I can't link YT at work).

Which resin have you been using?
    I've seen most videos by Uncle Jessy, but also of other resin printing youtubers. Those who actually have tried the Wash & Cure 2.0 have all agreed that it's expensive and worth it, and I agree. You can print without it, but for me it was not just soo much easier but also stopped me from breaking the models by brushing them too hard with a toothbrush or not cleaning them enough and letting liquid resin stay on the miniature and curing onto the model basically ruining it. Now I even use an ordinary cleaner instead of isopropanyl for cleaning and it works perfectly.

I'm still on my first bottle and it's anycubics own resin, standard transparent green. Someone told me transparent is better at curing effectively and they were out of blue and red.

I've seen most videos by Uncle Jessy, but also of other resin printing youtubers. Those who actually have tried the Wash & Cure 2.0 have all agreed that it's expensive and worth it, and I agree. You can print without it, but for me it was not just soo much easier but also stopped me from breaking the models by brushing them too hard with a toothbrush or not cleaning them enough and letting liquid resin stay on the miniature and curing onto the model basically ruining it. Now I even use an ordinary cleaner instead of isopropanyl for cleaning and it works perfectly.

I'm still on my first bottle and it's anycubics own resin, standard transparent green. Someone told me transparent is better at curing effectively and they were out of blue and red.
    Thanks I did notice that Anycubic's original Wash &Cure was on ebay for less than 100USD a few months ago, but I missed it. I may get the 2.0 then. I have seen dozens of off brand UV curing stations on Amazon but they are still in the 50USD range plus all the other supplies and headaches sounds like it is easier with the W&C station.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Started priming Victory with Vallejo 950 overnight. Something sinister about that hull all in black...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here is the finished ship with the caveat that I may well take up David's suggestion, and make a change which I now see as possible.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Nice schooner, Rob.

Eric: The thing I like best with the Wash and Cure 2.0 is that when the print is finished I just unscrew the build plate and put it in the W&C. It washes the whole thing without me having to touch anything where the resin is until after it's cleaned. Then I remove the prints from the build plate and cut off the supports before curing. That way there's less risk of damaging the model. Then it's just curing left. It's also nice to have timers built in telling me when it's finished by beeping.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

First steps on Victory...

--Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Rob, nice looking schooner. Well done.
    Anthony
    "It seems to be law inflexible and inexorable that he who will not risk cannot win."
    John Paul Jones

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Anthony.
    Number two is proving a bit more troublesome. I may have to take further measures with its sprit sails.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Preliminary take on Henry's ships even with none finished: they don't fit well alongside Ares because they're TOO GOOD--even the "Chunkies" are loaded with fine detail fit to enter into an IPMS model-show diorama contest, maybe even fit to recreate and even improve the old Trafalgar diorama that used to be at Greenwich.

Granted, many of those fine details will be obliterated by first primer and then paint, but...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Here is the finished ship with the caveat that I may well take up David's suggestion, and make a change which I now see as possible.
    Very nice looking schooner Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Preliminary take on Henry's ships even with none finished: they don't fit well alongside Ares because they're TOO GOOD--even the "Chunkies" are loaded with fine detail fit to enter into an IPMS model-show diorama contest, maybe even fit to recreate and even improve the old Trafalgar diorama that used to be at Greenwich.

Granted, many of those fine details will be obliterated by first primer and then paint, but...
    Haha, maybe try dumbing them down with FDM prints. I still haven't got round to changing out to the smaller nozzle yet. You will be the first to know how the first 1/1000 ship turns out DB.