Thread: Limping to Safety

Default Limping to Safety

Scenario: March 1779. The Bonhomme Richard has just weathered a severe storm off the coast of France but lost a mast in the process. Part of the ship’s officers and crew had been assigned to prize crews prior to the storm. Captain Jones decides to sail to the nearest French port for repairs.

As the sun rises, the port, protected by Fort Angelique, comes into view. So does the British 74 Vanguard who has been on patrol duty on the French coast. The race is on. The French frigate Courageuse is at anchor inside the harbor and it is unknown if she will be able to weigh anchor and make sail in time to assist the Bonhomme Richard.

Rules: The SGN advanced rules are in place with the exception that the mast cannot be repaired. The Bonhomme Richard will take the most direct path to the harbor. It begins the game minus one mast and with two crew boxes filled in to represent the absence of the crew assigned to prizes. Fort Angelique and the Courageuse are controlled by AI. A standard 52-card deck of cards with one added joker is used to determine when the Courageuse is activated. A card is drawn at the beginning of each turn. If a face card is drawn, the Courage begins weighing anchor and can get underway at the beginning of the fourth turn after the draw. If an ace is drawn, she cuts cables and may move at the beginning of the second turn after the draw. If the joker is drawn, the Captain of the Courageuse will not join the fight. If after five draws, no joker or activating card has been drawn, the ship begins to weigh anchor and may get underway at the beginning of the ninth turn.

Name:  IMG_0363 - Copy.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  133.3 KB

“Ahoy on the Deck. Strange sail two points off the larboard bow.”

Captain Favorsham scanned the horizon with his spyglass. “It looks to be that American pirate that’s been terrorizing our merchants. Better yet, she appears to be missing her foremast. Mr. Jameston, clear for action. Helmsman, we’ll sail between the two islands. Bring us as close as you can to the shore of the starboard one as to block us from the guns of the fort. With any luck, we’ll pass in front of the pirate.”

But that was not to be the case as the Bonhomme Richard drew first blood when it raked the Vanguard’s bow causing minor hull damage and killing some of the crew. To make matters worse, activity was spotted on the French ship (a face card was drawn at the beginning of the fourth turn).

Name:  IMG_0370.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  135.5 KB

“Ah good, we shall cross her stern then,” Favorsham said evenly. “Fire as you bear.” The guns exploded but to Favorsham’s chagrin, only caused minimal damage to the American ship. “I expect better next time.”

He was not disappointed. The Vanguard was able to reload and unleash a punishing broadside through the stern of the Bonhomme Richard causing severe damage to the hull and rudder and killing a great many of its crew. But it was not enough, the ship entered the harbor and safety just as the French frigate was leaving to enter the fray. “Let’s have a go at that Frenchman, seems he’s coming out to play,” said Favorsham. The helmsman turned the ship to starboard nervously as he knew he was turning the Vanguard towards the fort and into the wind.

Name:  IMG_0340 (1).jpg
Views: 263
Size:  203.6 KB

The two ships passed each other only yards apart broadside to broadside. The sound of the musketry fire of the marines from both ships was drowned out by the thunder of the cannons. The fort, unwilling to risk hitting their own frigate just watched the devastation. When the smoke cleared, The Vanguard’s rudder had been damaged and many of its crew lay dead or dying and, it was headed straight at the guns of the fort. The French ship suffered even more severe damage but its crew had not lost the will to fight.

Name:  IMG_0338.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  201.5 KB

The Vanguards worked furiously to repair the rudder and reload the guns as the two ships circled each other. For a brief moment the Vanguard was facing into the wind. This is the moment Fort Angelique decide to fire and pounded the British ship causing a fire on deck.

Name:  IMG_0337.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  223.9 KB

Favorsham’s only course of action was to try and put the island between his ship and the fort. To do so would put him broadside to broadside with the Courageuse once again but this time not close enough for the marines to engage. This exchange of fire was even more devastating than the first, and when the smoke cleared, it could be seen that both ships had lost a mast and many more men.

Name:  IMG_0336.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  243.6 KB

It was time to disengage but Favorsham knew the fort would be able to fire once more on the Vanguard before it was out of range. He heard the shots from the fort followed by the sound of wood splintering and he heard the order to man the pumps. At least the frigate was no longer a threat as he watched it head towards the harbor. Favorsham cursed his luck. Now it was the Vanguard’s turn to limp back to safety and it would be a longer journey than the one of the Bonhomme Richard.

Name:  IMG_0342.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  310.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0344.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  308.1 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A stirring little action Anthony, and some nice terrain to set off a well told account of the fight.
    Thanks for posting.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 04-02-2021 at 00:58.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I like it! I have been thinking along these lines of scenarios that give a tactical victory without having to sink, burn, or capture the enemy vessel (of course I am looking at this from Jones' perspective).

I agree with you Dobbs. While a ragwagon duel to the death can be quite entertaining, I like scenarios with asymmetrical objectives. You not only need to figure out how to accomplish your goal, but you have to stop your opponent from accomplishing his and to do this you must try to get into the opponent's mind. Thank you for the rep points gentlemen.
    Anthony

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Very true Anthony, and AI minds can prove to be very devious indeed.
    I hope you like my next offering. It has two very straight forward objectives.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Nice action, like the pics, howeverI think there should have been more than one fire damage on Vanguard, one at beginning of turn after the fire received, no doubt you then plan a put out fire which is a delayed action and so comes into effect during action phase of next turn, which means a second fire token added to damage track at beginning of that turn.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    Nice action, like the pics, howeverI think there should have been more than one fire damage on Vanguard, one at beginning of turn after the fire received, no doubt you then plan a put out fire which is a delayed action and so comes into effect during action phase of next turn, which means a second fire token added to damage track at beginning of that turn.
    This is the kind of thing where "spreading damage" like fire and flood could use an app to help track them...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    You are right, I did put the fire out as a crew action but I should have had a second fire token. Thanks for pointing that out, I forgot to treat it as a delayed action. I guess I got caught up in the heat of the moment.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good one by this method of measurement Anthony.

"The goodness of your true pun is in the direct ratio of its intolerability"
    ---Edgar Allen Poe, 'Marginalia' (1844)

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    This is the kind of thing where "spreading damage" like fire and flood could use an app to help track them...
    The older I get DB the more I realise the wisdom of your words.

Rob.

Nice AAR, Anthony.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Courageuse was punching above her weight, hurrah for her Captain.

Well thought out scenario and a nicely written account of the action.

Only saw this late to the party - now where have I heard that before???? A enjoyable AAR, Anthony.

Thanks very much Paul. And thank you for the rep points.
    "It seems to be law inflexible and inexorable that he who will not risk cannot win."
    John Paul Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Continentaleye View Post
    Thanks very much Paul. And thank you for the rep points.
    You are very welcome.

Now that I've done the last AAR for the latest Wings of Glory campaign, I can return to the 2015 Sails of Glory campaign. Might even catch up to Vagabond!! Ha!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good news indeed Paul.
    I look forward to reading your future AARs.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 04-13-2021 at 01:01.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    You are very welcome.

Now that I've done the last AAR for the latest Wings of Glory campaign, I can return to the 2015 Sails of Glory campaign. Might even catch up to Vagabond!! Ha!
    Its been a while since I've visited the Wings site. Since I first tried SGN a couple of months back, learning and playing the game has been my main hobby focus. I really enjoy both games though. I look forward to reading your AARs on both sites.
    Anthony
    "It seems to be law inflexible and inexorable that he who will not risk cannot win."
    John Paul Jones