Thread: Hi from Weston-super-Mare

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Barry

Default Hi from Weston-super-Mare

Hi

I've just signed up after splurging on a few (34) SoG ships.

I'm originally from Plymouth(UK) which has a "bit" of a naval tradition but now live in the weirdly-named Weston-super-Mare.

I've gamed and wargamed for about 50 years.

Otherwise I guess I'm pretty boring!

I'm now thinking of making the ships look a little bit better. With as little work and outlay!

My thoughts are some rigging and ratlines, plus some light wash and highlights.

I like the "bristle" rigging idea (as it's cheap and not much work).

Should I paint the arms black?

Washing the sails looks like a must.

I'm thinking that the ratlines might be easiest (and cheapest) if I can print them on acetate - anyone have files (if not I guess I can bodge something up!)
    Last edited by brasidas69; 03-22-2021 at 07:34.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Welcome Barry from me in Bristol.
    If I can help with anything please feel free to contact me.
    I have rigged all my ships using the bristle method, take a look at Project Trafalgar to see some of my ships.
    I have used Langtons ratlines but acetate should work, not aware of any files for these though.

Welcome Barry. I'm new here myself (signed on last month). Everyone here has been extremely helpful and friendly. I have found a wealth of information in the Forum section as well as the Blog section. The site search engine has been very useful.
    Anthony

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Hi Barry and welcome aboard!

I never thought of printing my own. That's a great idea. Does anyone have more information on if it can be done with inkjet printers?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Firstly allow me to now give you a formal welcome to the Anchorage Barry.
    Mrs Bligh hails from Brizol, so not a million leagues away from you. We spent several holidays with our kids in Weston- super-mud when they were young sprogs.
    I have not printed ratlines on acetate with an inkjet but have done plenty of Wings transparent inserts for bases with one. I used sheets of OHP acetate for that.
    Hope to meet you one day around your area.
    Till then may you sail with a fair wind and a willing foe.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Barry

Hi Capn Duff

Bristles seem fairly easy and work-free so suits me.

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Barry

Default Thanks everyone

Thanks Capn Duff, Anthony, Rob and Dobbs

A very nice welcome!

My idea for the acetate ratlines came from a ship i was given by a friend decades ago. He was John Westwood (used to be a very active member of the Wargames Research Group and inNaval wargames) and he gave me this model when we were practicing for the Napoleonic Naval National Championships.

The photo doesn't really do it justice - it's pretty dusty (which has dulled the painjob) and the dust on the rigging isn't visible to the naked eye - but really shows up in the photo. I'll ned to give it a good cleaning.

It's the 1577 Revenge and it looks like maybe John painted the ratlines on acetate but printing is available nowadays. I have printed blurred prop effect on acetate for quite a few of my Wings planes. There is a special printable acetate for OHP transparencies, as Rob said.

I'll certainly use the bristle method - easy, cheap and quick - for the rigging.

Here's the Revenge 1577 - sorry about the dust and overexposure!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	revenge 3.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	199.3 KB 
ID:	53587

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Welcome to the Anchorage, Barry, from here near Norwich.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Welcome to the Anchorage!