Thread: AAR - July 2015 Mission: The Fire Ship by ShadowDragon

Default AAR - July 2015 Mission: The Fire Ship by ShadowDragon

The Fire Ship

My version of the 2015 Campaign scenario, The Fire Ship, by Union Jack:

https://www.sailsofglory.org/showthr...aign-Scenarios
    https://sailsofglory.org/showthread....you-want-to%29

Captain Horatio Attenbridge had been waiting somewhat impatiently for over half of an hour, when the Admiral’s door opened and the Executive Officer poked his head through.

“The Admiral will see you now, Captain Attenbridge.”

Took the briefest of moments to Horatio compose himself. It would not do for Admiral Wellesley to see that he was irritated to be kept waiting.

“Ah, there you are Horatio. How is the Agamemnon?”

The Agamemnon was Horatio’s ship that had been badly damaged in a fight with the Spanish ship, the Santa Ana – a prize for His Majesty’s Royal Navy courtesy of the pirate, Gabriel de Bergerac.

“She’ll be ready in three weeks, sir.”

“Capital, Horatio, capital! A good showing on the part of the Agamemnon, assisting the Zealous in capturing the Santa Ana.”

“But…”

“No ‘buts’, Horatio. I have Cunningham’s report with all the details. A pity about the Bellona, but the court martial will get to the bottom of things, but from what I read in the report it will not go well for Seaton.”

Seaton was the captain of HMS Bellona, and had to strike her colours in the fight with the Spanish. The Agamemnon was late on the scene so Horatio could not vouch for Seaton, but from what he heard Cunningham had led his squadron into a trap for which the Bellona paid the price. Seaton had asked that the pirate Gabriel provide testimony at the court martial, but the Admiral would not have a pirate’s word gainsaying that of a captain in the Royal Navy. Horatio did not see it that way – from what he knew of Alan Cunningham and Gabriel de Bergerac, he readily believe the pirate.”

“I have a special task for you, Horatio. We have intelligence on the location of the haven for the pirate, Longshanks. The Spanish frigate, the Diana, that was damaged in Gabriel de Bergerac’s attack was captured when the Spaniards were towing her for repairs, but it seems that she’s not fit for action. So the idea, Horatio, is that you command a squadron with the Diana as a fire ship to burn Longshank’s fleet. The Leander has just arrived to join our fleet, she’s a good ship with a good captain and crew. You’ll command the Leander and the Diana. The Diana will enter the pirate harbour and ram the pirate fleet at anchor. The Leander will follow the Diana to pick up the Diana’s crew – who will have to come from the Leander’s crew. It should all go well. I’m sure a dawn attack will catch the pirates asleep in a drunken stupor. There are two old Spanish forts that guard the harbour – perhaps their garrisons will be was alert as their comrades. Do you have any questions, Horatio?”

“Sir, isn’t Longshank’s an ally of Gabriel de Bergerac?”

“That Is precisely why this mission is critical, Horatio. We have need of de Bergerac and that devil woman of his – at least until the Lords of the Admiralty see fit to reinforce our fleet so that we can meet the French and Spanish on fair terms, but after that we must make it clear that the age of the pirates is over and that piracy will not be tolerated. This will serve as a useful demonstration of His Majesty’s government’s resolve on this matter.”

Horatio had his doubts about the wisdom in the Admiral’s strategy but what he said was true to everyone, so he kept his concerns to himself.

A week later the Diana and Leander approached the pirate haven. Horatio peered through the telescope for activity – none could be seen. Excellent, the pirates were unaware of their impending doom. He listened as the Leander’s ropes sang in the onshore breeze as the ship tacked towards the harbour. It would be challenging for the Diana with her small crew to work its way towards the three pirates sloops at anchor, snuggled deep in the harbour. From his time on the Leander, Horatio had no doubts about the ability of its captain, Kent Barham, but would the midshipman, Cecil Forester, he pick to command the Diana be up to the job.

Name:  T0.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  145.4 KB

Horatio could see the two forts, of which he had been warned, and he hoped that the garrisons were as unaware as the crews of the sloops. If they weren’t and Forester wasn’t up to the job, the wind would hold the Diana – crammed with combustibles – under the fire of their guns. Boom…clearly one garrison was not in a drunken stupor.

Name:  T1.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  136.9 KB

The shots from the (southern) fort had mostly gone wide, but a couple of cannon balls had hit the Diana’s hull, but other than that, the damage was tolerable. Let’s hope the larboard fort is no better, thought Cecil. [Note: I think I had just forgotten to take away the cotton in this photo and that no firing had occurred – as wouldn’t since the fort’s battery was reloading.]

Name:  T2.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  137.6 KB

But it was not to be, the larboard (or northern) fort’s battery was on well aimed and cannonballs raked the Diana – one slicing the helmsman in two. A ghastly way to go, thought Cecil, as he instinctively grabbed the wheel until another crewman could take over.

Name:  T3.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  162.8 KB

The Diana did her best to make way against the wind – hoping to sail past the forts before they could reload. The starboard fort’s second battery now fired – doing better than it’s sister battery. Another couple of crewmen were injured. We can’t take much more of this, thought Cecil. He was shaken but did his very best to look cool and composed so as to instill courage in the Diana’s small crew. Whether he succeeded or not, the Diana’s crew went about their business, but it was difficult since the lacked the ability to respond. Then their heard the booming of a broadside from the Leander. Something critical was hit in the fort as flames could be seen over the fort’s parapet.

Name:  T4.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  156.1 KB

The larboard fort’s battery barked again and again with deadly effect. Half the Diana’s small crew were dead or injured, but at least the Diana had help. The Leander’s larboard battery replied, with equal effect, on behalf of the Diana.

Name:  T5.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  175.0 KB

Suddenly the Diana was past the forts. Now, thought Cecil, let’s hope the sloops aren’t prepared for action. He was worried since the path of the Diana would take it straight towards the nearest sloop. If the sloop’s crew was ready, it would be an easy, raking shot that would finished the beleaguered Diana. Meanwhile the Leander continued to play on the southern fort. Hopefully the garrison was busy fighting the fire and not reloading the fort’s batteries, thought Cecil.

Name:  T6.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  163.5 KB

The Diana worked its way against the anchored sloops – still there was no sign of activity. Behind the Diana the Leander was reducing the northern fort to rubble.

Name:  T7.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  163.2 KB

On the Leander, Horatio was admiring the handling of the ship by Captain Barham and his crew. Those are certainly crack gunners, the thought, as another broadside found its mark. The fort’s reply was gallant but did only modest damage to the Leander.

Name:  T8.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  152.5 KB

The Leander veered to larboard to deliver another telling broadside – if it were not a pirate fort it would have struck its colours but, since pirates cannot expect leniency, it did not. Still the northern fort was put out of action. Horatio did not notice, he was too busy peering through his telescope at the Diana. She’s nearly there, he remarked to Captain Barham.

Name:  T9.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  189.3 KB

Suddenly, the nearest pirate sloop burst into flames. Horatio could see three small boats that contained the surviving crew of the Diana. Forester had done a worthy job.

Name:  T10.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  129.7 KB

The Leander picked up the Diana’s survivors. Four dead were left behind but the rest, including the wounded, were safely aboard. Cecil was beaming.

“You might be expecting congratulations, Mr. Forester,” called out Horatio. “Well, you shan’t expect congratulations for merely doing your duty.”

Cecil was crestfallen. Horatio turned and smiled to himself. There’ll be time enough to congratulate the midshipman later, but for now they needed to get past the southern fort before the pirates could get the northern fort back into action.

Name:  T11.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  166.3 KB

The southern fort fired as the Leander came back into range, but the garrison had been shaken by the earlier fire of the Leander and the shots went wide.

Name:  T12'.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  131.4 KB

The Leander delivered another of its signature broadsides that silenced the southern fort – and with that the Leander was on the open sea and heading for its home port. The admiral should be pleased, thought Horatio – and so was Horatio since he had no particular affection for Longshanks, but he might just have a word later with Gabriel.

Name:  T13.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  136.1 KB

Ship and Fort Logs

Name:  Leander.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  170.1 KB

Name:  Diana.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  175.5 KB

Name:  Forts.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  237.8 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Another nice one Paul.
    Being able to reduce forts is the devil of a job so well done there.
    I was a bit surprised that sloop three did not manage to slip her cable, but I guess the crew must have all been roistering ashore.
    One question if I may. What do the two C chits recorded in Leanders' ships logs signify?

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Another nice one Paul.
    Being able to reduce forts is the devil of a job so well done there.
    I was a bit surprised that sloop three did not manage to slip her cable, but I guess the crew must have all been roistering ashore.
    One question if I may. What do the two C chits recorded in Leanders' ships logs signify?

Rob.
    Getting a ‘fire’ chit seems to be the secret. I use the action rules which can result, as did in this case, the garrison too busy fighting the fire to do things like reload and fire.

The scenario didn’t say anything about how to handle the sloops so 8 went with John’s solution.

The 2 chits are the Leander crew used to crew the Diana. Again the scenario didn’t say what that meant for the Diana’s crew boxes and hits received. So I assumed that the Diana would still have all her crew boxes before striking as many of the crew hits would be versus empty crew positions. So half the Diana crew boxes being hit = 1 Leander crew box.

As you might tell, I’m just making up things as I go along - all for the sake of a story. The actual game just gives me a framework around which to weave the fabric dare-doing, swashbuckling, treachery, intrigue, etc.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    Getting a ‘fire’ chit seems to be the secret. I use the action rules which can result, as did in this case, the garrison too busy fighting the fire to do things like reload and fire.

The scenario didn’t say anything about how to handle the sloops so 8 went with John’s solution.

The 2 chits are the Leander crew used to crew the Diana. Again the scenario didn’t say what that meant for the Diana’s crew boxes and hits received. So I assumed that the Diana would still have all her crew boxes before striking as many of the crew hits would be versus empty crew positions. So half the Diana crew boxes being hit = 1 Leander crew box.

As you might tell, I’m just making up things as I go along - all for the sake of a story. The actual game just gives me a framework around which to weave the fabric dare-doing, swashbuckling, treachery, intrigue, etc.
    No worries about any of that Paul, you interpret the game as you wish. Take out the fort on the isle with a landing party, attack during the night and draw cards to see if you are spotted or whatever solution is good for you. Being a vindictive type, had I decommissioned the forts I would have hung around a bit and shot the third Sloop to bits, but that is just me.
    When sending landing parties you can fill in gaps on you ship mat with the brown casualty figures but placed upside down. When your men return just remove the chits less any killed in the raid. Then if you have to fight your way out you know your remaining complement of crew.

The decision on crew hits for Diana seems to be a fair way of doing things.
    A great AAR in all respects.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

No worries about any of that Paul, you interpret the game as you wish. Take out the fort on the isle with a landing party, attack during the night and draw cards to see if you are spotted or whatever solution is good for you. Being a vindictive type, had I decommissioned the forts I would have hung around a bit and shot the third Sloop to bits, but that is just me.
    When sending landing parties you can fill in gaps on you ship mat with the brown casualty figures but placed upside down. When your men return just remove the chits less any killed in the raid. Then if you have to fight your way out you know your remaining complement of crew.

The decision on crew hits for Diana seems to be a fair way of doing things.
    A great AAR in all respects.
    Rob.
    I'll use the upside down, brown chit idea for crew elsewhere in future games - if I remember! LoL

A Portland class, 4th rate versus a sloop....a bit sadistic there, Rob.

One thing I try to do is to use ships I have used yet. So far I've used 30 out of the 54 I have which is one reason for bringing in more RN characters. FYI - there's a link to the Leander's historical captain, Thomas Thompson, who was born in Barham, Kent....hence, Captain Kent Barham as a nod to the real captain who was captured after a horrendous fight and treated badly by the French.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Th...n,_1st_Baronet

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

FYI - there's a link to the Leander's historical captain, Thomas Thompson, who was born in Barham, Kent....hence, Captain Kent Barham as a nod to the real captain who was captured after a horrendous fight and treated badly by the French.
    Nice one Paul. Glad you enlightened me there. No one has commented on any of my Algerians names as yet.
    Not quite so esoteric as your choice.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

When I was trying to name my xebec, I was very impressed with your name choices, Rob. I looked at maps of Algeria to see if any of the town names were as catchy. They weren't. I couldn't figure out where you got such cool names, and then I hit Google translate.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    When I was trying to name my xebec, I was very impressed with your name choices, Rob. I looked at maps of Algeria to see if any of the town names were as catchy. They weren't. I couldn't figure out where you got such cool names, and then I hit Google translate.
    I knew something was up but didn't hit google translate. Mind you while it doesn't seem to matter to the game outcomes if the Algerians were in a ship called "Good Seas" or in one called "Cemeteries", I'd rather be crewman in the former.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

You've got HOW MANY ships.

I keep looking at them and thinking "I don't need anymore" I'm never going to have more than 8 on the table, maybe 10 but muuuum I would really like them, it's an affliction I'm sure.

Great exploits and a nicely written tale, I have to say I'm enjoying the scenarios here at the sea side. I did think it was going to go badly for Diana as she sailed between the forts but she made, it so well done to Mr Forester 3 cheers hip hip hurahh.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    You've got HOW MANY ships.

I keep looking at them and thinking "I don't need anymore" I'm never going to have more than 8 on the table, maybe 10 but muuuum I would really like them, it's an affliction I'm sure.

Great exploits and a nicely written tale, I have to say I'm enjoying the scenarios here at the sea side. I did think it was going to go badly for Diana as she sailed between the forts but she made, it so well done to Mr Forester 3 cheers hip hip hurahh.
    Yeah, well...er, I bought them just before the pandemic hit and before I really played the game...thinking, ahem, er....that one could re-play Trafalgar as a solo game and still retain what sanity one still has left....after all these years.

I'm going to try to limit it to 6 on the table at any one time, but, okay....you need a mix for each nation. So, that's per nation 3 X 1st rates, 3 X 3rd rates and 3 X 5th rates, as a minimum = 9 ships....at least for the UK, France and Spain, which means you need 27 ships...as a minimum!!!! Add in US ships, you're up to 30 ships; and, of course, there's an occasional need for a non-US sloop or 4th rate ship - so that's 37. At that point it was add in another 17 for everything that was available - because I'm not going to live forever and don't care if anyone inherits my wealth.....hahahahaha

Yeah, I thought the Diana wasn't going to make it....and almost certainly would not have if the sloop's crew had been alert and raked her as she came in range.

I do like creating the intrigue among the various characters - it can't be a pirate-centric tale if there's trust among...er, thieves?

Oh....and thanks for the rep, everyone.

Great AAR & well presented, Paul.

That was fun to watch & read.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Yeah, well...er, I bought them just before the pandemic hit and before I really played the game...thinking, ahem, er....that one could re-play Trafalgar as a solo game and still retain what sanity one still has left....after all these years.

I'm going to try to limit it to 6 on the table at any one time, but, okay....you need a mix for each nation. So, that's per nation 3 X 1st rates, 3 X 3rd rates and 3 X 5th rates, as a minimum = 9 ships....at least for the UK, France and Spain, which means you need 27 ships...as a minimum!!!! Add in US ships, you're up to 30 ships; and, of course, there's an occasional need for a non-US sloop or 4th rate ship - so that's 37. At that point it was add in another 17 for everything that was available - because I'm not going to live forever and don't care if anyone inherits my wealth.....hahahahaha
    I started out like that Paul, and having fallen for the Just one more Jasta con in Wings, felt that 2 First Rates, three 74s 3 Frigates and a couple of Brigs for each Nation would do the trick. Then the 50s and 60s came out, and I had a chance to get a cheap second starter set so the rot set in. I decided to get one of each named on either side ship that I could, so doubling my collection at one bound. A small Chilean squadron for fighting the Spanish in the Pacific followed together with my HEIC ships for the Solo campaign being played here. Then I saw Chris collecting ships for Trafalgar and before I knew it I had done the same, although a few of my already purchased ships were conscripted in as doubles for some. One or several had to be scratch built and alterations for merchantmen and gun brigs etc over the years added a few more. Now as you know I am on my US Squadron and Algerine ships, with Henry’s Kickstarter in the offing, and an overflowing games room to consider.
    Obviously there is absolutely nothing compulsive about this hobby.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 03-20-2021 at 13:34.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

I started out with the thought that 1 1st rate, 2 x 74 or 62's and 3 frigates would fit the bill, British and French only. I've just told Mrs V how many ships Paul has thinking she would realise the number of WW2 planes coming through the door was a very small number but of course her response was "and how many ships do you have" which is a tricky question when you consider I though 6 was a good number.

Of course the "I'm not going to live forever" is a very compelling argument to buy more ships and one I truly admire.

I started out like that Paul, and having fallen for the Just one more Jasta con in Wings, felt that 2 First Rates, three 74s 3 Frigates and a couple of Brigs for each Nation would do the trick. Then the 50s and 60s came out, and I had a chance to get a cheap second starter set so the rot set in. I decided to get one of each named on either side ship that I could, so doubling my collection at one bound. A small Chilean squadron for fighting the Spanish in the Pacific followed together with my HEIC ships for the Solo campaign being played here. Then I saw Chris collecting ships for Trafalgar and before I knew it I had done the same, although a few of my already purchased ships were conscripted in as doubles for some. One or several had to be scratch built and alterations for merchantmen and gun brigs etc over the years added a few more. Now as you know I am on my US Squadron and Algerine ships, with Henry’s Kickstarter in the offing, and an overflowing games room to consider.
    Obviously there is absolutely nothing compulsive about this hobby.
    Rob.
    Haven't been acquiring ships since the first binge but my focus has been elsewhere - on land, The Battle of Nations (Leipzig), 1813. I've been hosting a a play-by-email game with players in Australia and Canada since the beginning of COVID. We're halfway through the fourth of five scenarios - this will give you an idea of the scale:

Name:  Allied Turn 7 - Overview West.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  234.8 KB Name:  Allied Turn 7 - Overview East.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  222.2 KB

Quite naturally, with this being played over a year it's led to 'gaps in my figure collection that need to be filled", so here are some:

French Imperial Guard light infantry:

Name:  Flanquers-Chasseurs 1.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  184.6 KB

German Allies of Napoleon from Hesse-Darmstadt:

Name:  Hessian Guard - Front 1.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  206.8 KB Name:  Hessian Leib Rgt - Front.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  176.5 KB

Russian Imperial Guard Household Cavalry:

Name:  Russian Cavalier and Lifeguard Horse 1.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  227.9 KB

Russian Imperial Guard Light Cavalry:

Name:  Russian Lifeguard Cossacks 1.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  200.4 KB Name:  Russian Lifeguard Light Cavalry.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  179.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    I've just told Mrs V how many ships Paul has thinking she would realise the number of WW2 planes coming through the door was a very small number but of course her response was "and how many ships do you have" which is a tricky question when you consider I though 6 was a good number.
    That was putting your best foot forward, wasn't it?

Of course the "I'm not going to live forever" is a very compelling argument to buy more ships and one I truly admire.
    Be very, very careful there, V, lest Mrs. V gets a different idea than yours of just how long is "not forever".

Actually, Mrs SD quite likes the little ships. They do look quite nice on the blue mats. However, she doesn't ask how many ships I have and neither do I ask her how many collector tarot decks she owns. Seems a very equitable arrangement and one that is a great civic service in keeping the economy going.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Yes a nice aar, fully understand what you saying about the ship collection, I got a couple of ships now also.
    We have had a thread for showing off your fleets if you fancy posting a pic

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I have just had a look back to 2015 Chris and there are a lot of threads started by individuals showing their Fleets, but I could not find one special dedicated thread. I suggest we put it to the Navy Board and suggest a new thread similar to the Repaints showcase in the Chippy shop where we can show off our Fleets as they now stand. What say you to this?
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    Yes a nice aar, fully understand what you saying about the ship collection, I got a couple of ships now also.
    We have had a thread for showing off your fleets if you fancy posting a pic
    In due course, Chris...in due course.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I have just had a look back to 2015 Chris and there are a lot of threads started by individuals showing their Fleets, but I could not find one special dedicated thread. I suggest we put it to the Navy Board and suggest a new thread similar to the Repaints showcase in the Chippy shop where we can show off our Fleets as they now stand. What say you to this?
    Rob.
    Hi Rob, I was refering to your initial thread a while ago and my updated one in 2019

https://sailsofglory.org/showthread....fleets+updated

However I agree , would be a great idea to have a dedicated thread, shall we move this conversation to the Navy board as you suggest.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Paul, I look forward to seeing your fleets as and when matey

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Yes Chris. A good starting point.
    Let us unhijack this thread and move to the Admiralty Board.

Rob.