Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Default My updated US Squadron.

With one Sloop due to arrive tomorrow for conversion to my second Brig, and two Schooners and a gun Brig in the offing, my US units are nearly all assembled.
    Rob.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

I'm jealous !!!

Very nice!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks chaps, I think! So far all are Ares or Ares conversions, but the Schooners will be Langton products. This should go a long way to spoiling the Dey's day.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Thanks chaps, I think! So far all are Ares or Ares conversions, but the Schooners will be Langton products. This should go a long way to spoiling the Dey's day.

Rob.
    Ah, I was wondering where the schooners were. Beautiful fleet Rob, but then I am partial to that flag!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I have always felt that the Stars and stripes was by far the best flag designed by you young emerging nations, and so versatile should you ever aquire further States post 1800. Just keep your hands off Canada.

Bligh.
    Last edited by Bligh; 03-06-2021 at 09:31.

Aye Aye Sir! Understood, Hands Off!

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Looking good Rob, the black and white colour scheme is pretty smart.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Actually John, although the screen shot does not show it the ships are not all in black and white. Several are in black and light buff and the Sloops are either that or as produced by Ares. Captains used their own colour schemes until 1814, and the universal B&W for all American ships did not finally emerge until well into the 20s. I therefore decided not to follow Ares with the Constitution colour scheme. I am still debating if I should change the stripe on the President to light buff.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just sailed in this morning and all ready for conversion to my second Brig.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

This evening I have done a bit of amputation work prior to replacing the driver.

Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Actually John, although the screen shot does not show it the ships are not all in black and white. Several are in black and light buff and the Sloops are either that or as produced by Ares. Captains used their own colour schemes until 1814, and the universal B&W for all American ships did not finally emerge until well into the 20s. I therefore decided not to follow Ares with the Constitution colour scheme. I am still debating if I should change the stripe on the President to light buff.

Rob.
    From your picture I wasn't sure about them all being black and white but I think there is some mileage in them being uniform in colour, it sort of identifies them as being our Americain enemies. and makes a homogeneous fleet.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Rob, what are you using for the rigging on the sail?

My English fleet has black yards. My French fleet has mustard yards except for the courses, which are dark brown. My American fleet is mostly white yards and lower masts with mustard tops, but one or two ships have different colored yards and masts. Only my Constitution and Demologos have the white stripe at the gunports. The rest of the fleet's stripes are all over the place.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 03-08-2021 at 16:32.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hi Dobbs.
    The sail rigging is very fine thread glued on with superglue and then given a wash over with diluted PVA prior to painting.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Hi Dobbs.
    The sail rigging is very fine thread glued on with superglue and then given a wash over with diluted PVA prior to painting.
    Rob.
    Thanks for that, Rob. It bugged me that my brig didn't have those lines, so now I'm going back and retrofitting them. Instead of thread though, I'm trying 0.020" styrene rod prebent around a pen or other convenient curve-maker.

Did you do the reefing ties on the other side?

Update: 1/3 of the way there... one done on each side.

Name:  20210309_071834.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  166.7 KB
    Last edited by Dobbs; 03-09-2021 at 05:20.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looking good thus far Dobbs. I did the reefing ties for the Algerine Frigate but it was such a fiddle even at that size that I did not bother on the Brigs.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Got a bit of work done on my Brig today.
    First I glued up the booms on the driver.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Then came the drilling of the mast and test fitting of the mast deck peg and driver before taking it to the spray booth.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Whilst that was drying I painted the line along the gunports, drilled the deck and glued in the deck peg for the mast.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

That's a very tidy line, Rob! Did you also add some red to the bulwarks?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Not as yet Dobbs.
    Today I'm hoping to get the driver finished and red lines on bulwarks, plus the black fighting tops done.

Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

*covets Canada*

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Should have posted the finished Model here too.

Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

Rob.
    Very nice!

Rob.
    Sweet!