Thread: Kickstarter ships comparison

Hybrid View

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

One explanation: the Ares Spanish 74 is based on Bahama but IIRC is dimensioned as her original 64-gun specs, and the Meregildos is based on the Greenwich draught of Salvador del Mundo, which was noticeably smaller than all of her sisters.

I have three Purisima Concepcions on the way myself, and if Henry ever does a Meregildos I may commission the entire class from him--I only passed on Nepomucenos because we wanted to keep the shipped package to a reasonable size/cost at around 12-15 hulls and I already had most of that filled with the PC's, class-limits on Canada and Ganges to use for a private feasibility study along with a couple Intrepids (possibly more to follow if there's another run).

Elizabeth is if memory serves between six inches and three feet longer on MD than Bellona and slightly different underwater lines, but definitely an evolution of the older design. Eventually these, too, might be candidates for "upgrade."
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    One explanation: the Ares Spanish 74 is based on Bahama but IIRC is dimensioned as her original 64-gun specs, and the Meregildos is based on the Greenwich draught of Salvador del Mundo, which was noticeably smaller than all of her sisters.
    I thought the conclusion we reached at the time was that someone had scaled them to 1/1200 rather than 1/1000?

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    I thought the conclusion we reached at the time was that someone had scaled them to 1/1200 rather than 1/1000?
    I think a botched measurement process made most of the new releases ~15-20% undersize. SdM is at least in part accounted for by the Greenwich drought--their current engineer INSISTS Wave 1 was oversized though.

We also know Ares will NEVER drop an "Oops, we made a mistake, our bad" beyond me accepting responsibility for my own like Constitution overlength, which even at the time I had remarked that "something seems really odd about this data" and I should have cross-referenced additional material to check Winfield. (BWAS 1793-1817 1st Ed. listed President as 197', which seemed odd because "a frigate longer than a 3-decker SOL?" 197' OAL is plausible but the key measure of LBP or Main Deck should have been around 175'.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.