Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's on Your Workbench for March?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The idea was to extend the units available to the US Squadron in case any get sunk or taken in the games. You will see Scourge emerge in the next AAR.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here are a couple of shots of the completed Brig USS Argus.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just completed the cards for my new Sloop USS Hornet.
    Tomorrow I hope to get the flipside cards done as well.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

You are amazingly prolific Rob but it sounds like between you and Dobbs theres a lot of de-masted shipping lying around. Argus is looking very nice indeed.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I will get all my spare masts out and photograph them John.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    I will get all my spare masts out and photograph them John.
    Rob.

I'll have to do the same. In the meantime, two newly arrived Proserpines have come under the knife for getting their blockhouses cut off.

Name:  20210313_210541.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  123.1 KB

Here is just after I have broken through with cautious Xacto knife cutting.

Name:  20210313_210438.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  134.5 KB

Here, the wreckage has been completely cleared. A practice hull sits in the background.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

The Graveyard:

Name:  20210314_135301.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  90.6 KB

Everything here was a sacrifice or an experiment. Some of it will be repurposed. Most just sticks around for further experimentation and fear of throwing out something I'll need later.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That is better than mine Dobbs.
    Meantime here are the card for the flip side of Hornet.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Last edited by Bligh; 03-22-2021 at 05:41.

The last two Temeraire class ships painted
    Mont Blanc

And Duguay Trouin

Here are all five painted Temeraire class ships
    Last edited by Bligh; 03-15-2021 at 05:44.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    The last two Temeraire class ships painted
    Mont Blanc
    Name:  20210312_122800.jpg
Views: 1323
Size:  155.1 KB
    Name:  20210312_122808.jpg
Views: 1271
Size:  169.8 KB

And Duguay Trouin
    Name:  20210312_122853.jpg
Views: 1325
Size:  170.8 KB
    Name:  20210312_122903.jpg
Views: 1281
Size:  167.4 KB

Here are all five painted Temeraire class ships
    Name:  20210312_122933.jpg
Views: 1285
Size:  238.7 KB
    You should get together with Dobbs he has a lot of masts and you have a lot of hulls, I'm sure you could make a couple of whole ships between you.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Those look superb Vol. Oh! sorry Superb was not a Temeraire Class. They look marvelous. sorry I had to edit your post but they were not showing up for me. Now they are fine. See my Rep remark.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 03-15-2021 at 05:55.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here you go Dobbs.
    Your graveyard puts mine to shame.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 03-16-2021 at 01:55.

Thank you Sven and Rob for the rep.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks to Dobbs idea for giving ships some grip I invested in this little lot which arrived this morning. Now just 180 odd ships to do.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Thanks to Dobbs idea for giving ships some grip I invested in this little lot which arrived this morning. Now just 180 odd ships to do.

Rob.
    Have fun with that!

For me, my two Proserpines continue their transformation to flush decked frigates (the mastless hulls will continue to languish in the experimental collection), while in the boat shed progress is made on the new ship's boat.

Name:  20210316_081720.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  152.5 KB

Name:  20210316_064629.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  166.7 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

All looking good Dobbs, and I am on number one of mine. Just another 179 to go.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here you go. one down.Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 03-16-2021 at 10:27.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Sorry, I quite forgot to put the finished Argus in here so here it is.
    Next my Langton Schooners to get off the stocks.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

My Langton Schooners have now arrived, and are sized just below that of a Frigate, and larger than our Sloops as you can see from the picture. I was a bit surprised to find that they are resin and not metal, but that will be more in keeping with the weight of the Ares ones.

Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

My current WIP three of Henry's Spanish 74s

Masts are blu tacked on for now, just for seeing how they look. bowsprit sails seem a bit big and nearly jammed against the foresail, maybe have to reduce a bit, unfortunately broke one or two masts but glue back. in my opinion they will need rigging to stand handling for games, may not be useful for playing at shows. will se once rigged. Models lovely but had to repair a couple of lanterns.
    all in all nice, need to do stats and follow up on bases.
    await comments and suggestions

My Langton Schooners have now arrived, and are sized just below that of a Frigate, and larger than our Sloops as you can see from the picture. I was a bit surprised to find that they are resin and not metal, but that will be more in keeping with the weight of the Ares ones.

Rob.
    Rob is that Rod's 28 gun schooner? I wonder if he is doing any of his other sculpts in resin now.

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    My current WIP three of Henry's Spanish 74s

Masts are blu tacked on for now, just for seeing how they look. bowsprit sails seem a bit big and nearly jammed against the foresail, maybe have to reduce a bit, unfortunately broke one or two masts but glue back. in my opinion they will need rigging to stand handling for games, may not be useful for playing at shows. will se once rigged. Models lovely but had to repair a couple of lanterns.
    all in all nice, need to do stats and follow up on bases.
    await comments and suggestions
    His ships are beautifully detailed alright, but they are also very delicate. Likewise the resin masts are easily broken. One reason I am building all the masts for mine out of more durable material. But the resin mast are useful for measurements. Have you had any difficulty drilling holes for rigging on thes specific hulls Chris?

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Hi Vol, not drilled any holes for rigging purposes, I use the nylon bristle method for my rigging, makes things a bit sturdier I found, plus I am not a big fan of fully detailed rigging, looks great yes, but for me it tends to overpower the ships, so my rigging is more representative than accurate.

However I did try to drill into the deck of one ship to widen for the masts. This was a minor hic-up as the drill broke the deck a bit. i had to carefully replace and a bit of paint covered the break, I think.
    So care needs to be taken when drilling, I would suggest using the tile drilling method. Not tried it yet myself but will let you know once I do.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Rob is that Rod's 28 gun schooner? I wonder if he is doing any of his other sculpts in resin now.
    It is indeed Vol. I am knocking out the two rear gunports to give it the same number of posts as the USS Enterprise. I was astounded by the fact that this one was resin. I have no knowledge of his other sculpts either.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

Truly wonderful work, everyone!

It is indeed Vol. I am knocking out the two rear gunports to give it the same number of posts as the USS Enterprise. I was astounded by the fact that this one was resin. I have no knowledge of his other sculpts either.
    Rob.
    That's a good idea. I used mine as the Meshuda, since that is the only historical 28 gun schooner I could find with a lot of research.

Sorry I haven't been spending much time in the shipyard the last couple of weeks. The weather has been so nice I have been spending most of my time outdoors trying to get a headstart on spring cleanup. But I did order an Ender 5 Pro 3D printer yesterday. I don't know what came over me. I'm too old to learn a new complicated technolgy. I spent the evening watching YouTube videos on assembly, operation, essential modifications, using STL files, slicer programs, etc. My brain hurts! What was I thinking?

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Having always lived in the Western part of the continent, I have never been close to Civil War Reenactment groups. I was a SCA player for 6 years, but I don't really consider that the same thing. One of my retirement bucket list items is to attend an ACW reenactment of one of the large battles in the east. But I am afraid, with the current toxic political cancel culture in the US right now, they will all be shut down before I can.
    I've been to a Civil War reenactment in California. It was pretty big in my world. I'll se if I can find any pictures...

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Name:  563E9839-6BF9-40F8-8413-B98AF764CFBE.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  261.0 KB

Name:  6D3A586B-69E4-4079-8B08-D17E3D8876F0.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  202.3 KB

Name:  2EBFAFC7-AB74-4B2E-8E3B-25B9036F6DE6.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  212.4 KB

Name:  1FE5D4AB-97CF-4160-B94B-6040823036BA.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  253.8 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Great shots and in the right setting Jonas.

We have a few units over here, but re-enacting ACW in England just does not seem right somehow.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That's a good idea. I used mine as the Meshuda, since that is the only historical 28 gun schooner I could find with a lot of research.
    That is a superb idea Vol. I will now neeed to add that one to my next order from Rod.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I have a few photos of the camps an so on, but at least that gave an idea of the battle.
    They were proud of having a limber of six or eight horses.

This is what’s on my workbench right now:
    Name:  DB6AC3D0-0411-4BA7-9DCD-9ABC49134D99.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  195.4 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I am now in batch production mode for the foam inserts.

USS Squadron and Algerines completed. Just starting on my HEIC Squadron. Then iot will be the turn of my Chileans.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

HERE IS ONE FOR YOU JONAS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJRywMYzh7s

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    Hi Vol, not drilled any holes for rigging purposes, I use the nylon bristle method for my rigging, makes things a bit sturdier I found, plus I am not a big fan of fully detailed rigging, looks great yes, but for me it tends to overpower the ships, so my rigging is more representative than accurate.

However I did try to drill into the deck of one ship to widen for the masts. This was a minor hic-up as the drill broke the deck a bit. i had to carefully replace and a bit of paint covered the break, I think.
    So care needs to be taken when drilling, I would suggest using the tile drilling method. Not tried it yet myself but will let you know once I do.
    I now drill these delicate resin models by hand, and slowly, using the bit between thumb and forefinger. This is the only way I have had success without beakouts. The FDM prints are no problem, easily drilled with mechanical aid.

That is a superb idea Vol. I will now neeed to add that one to my next order from Rod.

Rob.
    Thanks for the rep Rob for the Meshuda idea. As promised here is the research I did on the ship:

https://volsminiatures.blogspot.com/...shuda.html?m=0

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

You're all doing very nice work on the modelling front, I'm afraid I'm very much of a light weight where actual modelling is concerned but I'm enjoying seeing what you are turning out.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Very useful pics and info thanks Vol. Also thanks for the Rep. Back at you!
    Rob.

I finally got round to painting the Purisima Conception 1st rate this evening

Name:  20210321_212724.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  203.4 KB

Name:  20210321_212735.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  196.3 KB

Name:  20210321_212749.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  118.4 KB

Name:  20210321_212806.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  123.8 KB

I now have measurements to make the masts for this and the other two 1st rates, San Jose and Santa Ana, thanks to Nightmoss.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Immaculate work as usual Vol. The detail on those Stern Gallery windows took my breath away.

Rob.

My first attempts at terrain. First at varying states of completion and then on the game table. Name:  IMG_0349.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  175.1 KB Name:  IMG_0348.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  163.6 KB Name:  IMG_0357.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  97.0 KB Name:  IMG_0358.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  188.0 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Nice work Anthony.

If you want to harden the styrene after cutting it out, just run a blast of hot air from an electric paint stripper over it. I would trial this on a scrap offcut before committing to one of your important pieces. It can be a bit critical. Not sure if a hair dryer may even work.

Rob.

Thanks for the tip Rob. I will certainly give hot air a try. My wife says I'm full of it but I think I'll try the paint stripper first. Anthony

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Very droll Anthony. I hope you find it works for you O.K. I got the tip many years ago from a friend of my son, who made terrain models of all sorts for Games Workshop demos, and shops. They needed something which could stand the knocks from kids.

Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

I just picked up this privateer from GHQ, as well as a cutter. I'll post more pictures when I get it painted up.

Name:  IMG_0981.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  169.8 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looks a very nice model Jason.
    I look forward to seeing it displated in all its glory.
    Rob.