Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's on Your Workbench for March?

Quote Originally Posted by jasonb View Post
    I just picked up this privateer from GHQ, as well as a cutter. I'll post more pictures when I get it painted up.

Attachment 53591
    I love this Boston Clipper, but I am partial to GHQ ships. Wish they made more.

I know it is almost the end of March but I finally got my portable "work station" up and running. So I had two things on it - building the actual painting station and light and the ships. Sorry not sailing ships, but she still has masts! A German patrol trawler - "Vorpostenboot". Finishing up the camo before whethering. Finished Schnellboot in picture as well Need to reglue the ensign. 1/300 scale Warlord ships.

Name:  PXL_20210325_222003586.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  217.8 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Nice workstation Eric.
    I keep intending to clear mine up. it is getting a bit overcrowded. I also have some ships to paint from the Cruel seas range.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    I know it is almost the end of March but I finally got my portable "work station" up and running. So I had two things on it - building the actual painting station and light and the ships. Sorry not sailing ships, but she still has masts! A German patrol trawler - "Vorpostenboot". Finishing up the camo before whethering. Finished Schnellboot in picture as well Need to reglue the ensign. 1/300 scale Warlord ships.

Name:  PXL_20210325_222003586.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  217.8 KB
    Ooh, nice paint scheme Eric. Have you ever seen any of Mal Wright's books on paint and comoflage schemes for WWII ships of all nations?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I certainly have not Vol. I have been using old photos of the ships I have being painting and interpolating the colours from them.
    I will certainly look for those books.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Here are some
    Name:  Screenshot_20210327-075617_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  102.3 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_20210327-075720_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  149.1 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_20210327-075954_Chrome.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  110.4 KB

I have been collecting the pictures of the various patterns used by the IJN he is compiling for a new book and has been posting on the FB Naval Wargaming Historical group page. He really is a very nice, personable and helpful gentleman.

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Here are some

I have been collecting the pictures of the various patterns used by the IJN he is compiling for a new book and has been posting on the FB Naval Wargaming Historical group page. He really is a very nice, personable and helpful gentleman.
    Oh very nice, thanks Vol!

I had not seen these. My pattern on the Vorpostenboot was copied from the Warlord KM fleet box. Next up after finishing 5 more S boats is a squadron of Vospers so that Commonwealth camo book will come in handy. Currently I am reading "The Battle of the Narrow Seas" by Peter Scott. Excellent book from someone who served in the UK Coastal Forces.

This is a shot of Mal's most recent post

Name:  Screenshot_20210323-091457_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  157.6 KB

Very nice!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well Henry has come up trumps. this little lot arrived late yesterday afternoon.
    All in good order. The lower masts are a little weak for use at shows ,but I think that adding a metal lower section will do the trick.
    Rob.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Well I've finished my dwarfs, but now I'm doing (what I've named) the "Spoon Experiments".

Name:  spoon-trial.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  142.1 KB

I have... a cunning plan... Candy red on an Imperial Knight.

A few dwarfs for the viewing pleasure!

Name:  WhatsApp Image 2021-03-21 at 21.44.51.jpeg
Views: 328
Size:  109.9 KB
    Name:  WhatsApp Image 2021-03-21 at 21.30.47 (1).jpeg
Views: 329
Size:  94.8 KB
    Name:  WhatsApp Image 2021-03-21 at 21.30.48.jpeg
Views: 326
Size:  132.0 KB
    Name:  WhatsApp Image 2021-03-21 at 21.30.47.jpeg
Views: 335
Size:  83.0 KB
    Name:  WhatsApp Image 2021-03-21 at 21.44.52 (1).jpeg
Views: 331
Size:  108.1 KB
    No-one expects a ship full of dwarves.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Very well painted Gary. I must get around to painting my Joseph Bugman.

Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Thank you Rob. I'm really happy how they turned out, especially the snow looking bases.

Can you believe this was my first time painting beards, and skin tones (that's mainly visible on the chap with the fancy back piece).

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Well Henry has come up trumps. this little lot arrived late yesterday afternoon.
    All in good order. The lower masts are a little weak for use at shows ,but I think that adding a metal lower section will do the trick.
    Rob.
    Looks great. I do hope the ships sailing all the way to the US Midwest make it in as good a shape as yours.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Mal just posted a new picture, Japanese sub tenders
    Name:  164912759_10222932449554044_8183487632860527967_n.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  52.8 KB

You and me Rob, I just received a package of resin ships from Simon Mann. An order I made prior to deciding to get a 3D printer. Six ships and he threw in nine misprints he thpught I might want to try to repair, haha.

Name:  20210327_174114.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  154.3 KB
    Name:  20210327_174227.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  153.5 KB
    Name:  20210327_174317.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  192.4 KB
    Name:  20210327_181204.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  173.2 KB

The misprints:
    Name:  20210327_181215.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  193.3 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looks as if we are all going to be busy over the next couple of months then Vol.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Looks great. I do hope the ships sailing all the way to the US Midwest make it in as good a shape as yours.
    I hope so too Jim. Henry did pack them very carefully.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by McDorf View Post

Can you believe this was my first time painting beards, and skin tones (that's mainly visible on the chap with the fancy back piece).
    Beards are never easy to do well Gary. You have made a very good stab at them. I always run just a small amount of diluted gold on to red beards and then soak up the excess. Just gives them the sheen you get on hair. You can do the same with silver for black hair, but watch that you don't end up with grey unless you want a Greybeard. Bronze also works for brown hair but again you need to be careful not to overdo it.

Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Beards are never easy to do well Gary. You have made a very good stab at them. I always run just a small amount of diluted gold on to red beards and then soak up the excess. Just gives them the sheen you get on hair. You can do the same with silver for black hair, but watch that you don't end up with grey unless you want a Greybeard. Bronze also works for brown hair but again you need to be careful not to overdo it.

Rob.
    Oooh, I may try that on the next dwarf attempt.
    What I did, was paint them as per normal, applied a satin varnish to their beard, then blasted the entire model with some glossy varnish from an airbrush. It gave the beard a natural shine to it, plus made the armour that little bit extra shiny.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I hope so too Jim. Henry did pack them very carefully.
    Rob.
    I know Henry packed them very well, but we've all seen the horror photos of how mail delivery can go bad. I think the worse case delivery for me was an envelope received with very distinct tire tracks across it!?
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

You and me Rob, I just received a package of resin ships from Simon Mann. An order I made prior to deciding to get a 3D printer. Six ships and he threw in nine misprints he thpught I might want to try to repair, haha.

The misprints:
    Vol, did we know that Simon actually offers prints of his ships beyond the files? They look great and while I have plenty to keep me busy for the time being knowing it's a possibility to order prints from Simon opens up another avenue for acquiring ship models.
    –English Proverb

I think I was Henry's learning curve. The large order I made was one of his first. He packed them scattered in a single box filled with shredded newspaper. The box saw a rough transit and the ships suffered several collisions with resulting damage. He has learned better methods since. Simon packs his ships individually in bubble wrap, in an inner box wrapped in a layer of bubble wrap, and that placed snug in an outer box. Very safe sailing. These are the difficulties with resin prints because they are so delicate and brittle. FDM PLA prints are tough and durable. I dropped a ship yesterday and after bouncing off a concrete floor, there wasn't even a scratch. A resin hull would have been destroyed. Yes there is a difference in detail quality, but with proper settings and a quality printer, it isn't much. Having modeled with both now, I am convinced that for gaming, FDM is the better choice. This is an example of the quality I am getting.

Name:  20210327_201328.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  225.8 KB
    Name:  20210327_201400.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  103.3 KB
    Name:  20210327_195909.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  181.2 KB

Looks as if we are all going to be busy over the next couple of months then Vol.
    Rob.
    Haha, that is an understatement Rob! My 1/700 3D print pile is getting as large as my 1/1200 lead pile, LOL. I will never live long enough to complete a fraction of them. But the pile continue to grow just the same!

Vol, did we know that Simon actually offers prints of his ships beyond the files? They look great and while I have plenty to keep me busy for the time being knowing it's a possibility to order prints from Simon opens up another avenue for acquiring ship models.
    Yes I posted the fist batch of resin ships I received from him a few months back. For some reason I cannot bring up any of the threads prior to this one right now. The site just freezes snd I have to close it and restart it. When I can I will direct you to the post.
    One of the things I like about Simon's prints is he offers a low and high hull version of each ship. The high hull is built up to match Warlord's Black Seas ships perfectly.

Haha Jim, you and I discussed this on posts #124, #125, & #126 in the What's on Your Workbench for December thread.
    Are we getting a might forgetful in our old age?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Haha Jim, you and I discussed this on posts #124, #125, & #126 in the What's on Your Workbench for December thread.
    lol. Vol, sometimes I can't remember what I had for dinner yesterday let alone forum posts from December.

Having just reviewed the posts you shared I know why I put it out of my mind, as it were. Simon is also overseas which involves the same issues of postage costs and payment options that have kept me from exploring some of the 3D print on demand folks over there.

Thanks for jogging the memory and maybe I'll just go ahead and book mark his stuff for future reference.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I resemble that remark.

Rob.

lol. Vol, sometimes I can't remember what I had for dinner yesterday let alone forum posts from December.

Having just reviewed the posts you shared I know why I put it out of my mind, as it were. Simon is also overseas which involves the same issues of postage costs and payment options that have kept me from exploring some of the 3D print on demand folks over there.

Thanks for jogging the memory and maybe I'll just go ahead and book mark his stuff for future reference.
    Actually it wasn't that bad. It cost me more to ship to the UK than it has from the UK.

Actually it wasn't that bad. It cost me more to ship to the UK than it has from the UK.
    Ok I just looked it up Jim, this is what six ships cost, but keep in mind the shipping covered 9 additional ships he threw in.

- Nepomuceno = £7.50
    - San Ildefonso = £7.50
    - Arrogant = £7.50
    - Fulgencio = £7.50
    - Virginie French = £5.50
    - Constellation = £5.50
    - Loads of bits box things
    - Postage and packaging estimate = £10.90 (based on a few orders to the US)
    - PayPal fee (~5%) = £2.60
    Total = £54.50

£10.90 is around $15. I just sent a thumb drive in a bubble pack envelope to the UK that cost me $16.25!

Jim, here is the UK postal rate schedule to the US

Name:  Screenshot_20210328-201342_Email.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  118.9 KB

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

So I revisited Simon's links on 3D Wargaming and unless I'm completely missing something I see no option to purchase physical prints of his various sculpts? Everything listed is either for FDM or Resin files (both high hull and low hull). Does Simon manage a separate website for purchases outside of 3D Wargaming?
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Ok I just looked it up Jim, this is what six ships cost, but keep in mind the shipping covered 9 additional ships he threw in.

- Nepomuceno = £7.50
    - San Ildefonso = £7.50
    - Arrogant = £7.50
    - Fulgencio = £7.50
    - Virginie French = £5.50
    - Constellation = £5.50
    - Loads of bits box things
    - Postage and packaging estimate = £10.90 (based on a few orders to the US)
    - PayPal fee (~5%) = £2.60
    Total = £54.50

£10.90 is around $15. I just sent a thumb drive in a bubble pack envelope to the UK that cost me $16.25!
    Jim, here is the UK postal rate schedule to the US

Name:  Screenshot_20210328-201342_Email.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  118.9 KB
    Thanks Vol for the shipping information.
    –English Proverb

So I revisited Simon's links on 3D Wargaming and unless I'm completely missing something I see no option to purchase physical prints of his various sculpts? Everything listed is either for FDM or Resin files (both high hull and low hull). Does Simon manage a separate website for purchases outside of 3D Wargaming?
    Oh, sorry Jim. You are correct, neither Simon nor Henry advertise that they do prints. You have to reach out to them. I asked Simon in a FB post if he did prints of his ships, and he answered indeed he does. Then we started talking on Messenger. The rest is history. I have made two orders with him. With Henry it was a bit different. He and I started corresponding after he saw the scratch building I was doing on my blog a few years back. He wanted to try it and asked for help. He moved from that to design. Then I begged him to print some for me and he relented. I tried to put in another order with him recently, but after all the printing he did completing his last Admiralty Kickstarter, he was burnt out and told me he wasn't going to print anymore. But now I have my own printer and I am just buying all of their design files. I printed two ships at once for the first time last night. Henry's Elizabeth class 74 gun SOL. They came out perfect!

Name:  20210328_214902.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  184.7 KB
    Name:  20210328_214920.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  170.7 KB