Thread: AAR - Mar 2015 Scenario Duty and Daring by ShadowDragon

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    2 lines, knock 7 bells out of each other and don't try manoeuvre, easy peasy.
    If I recall weren't most of those bells knocked out of your fleet?

...but maybe I should wait until my mission is done before casting....whatever I'm casting...bells?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    If I recall weren't most of those bells knocked out of your fleet?

...but maybe I should wait until my mission is done before casting....whatever I'm casting...bells?

These are the flowers you are looking for Paul. I am always casting them.
    Rob.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    These are the flowers you are looking for Paul. I am always casting them.
    Rob.
    Good idea...in cast whatever you're casting starts being cast back at you.

A question...in the scenario rules they mention 'Ability Points' that accrue towards abilities and captains acquire them (i.e., defeat a ship of lesser, equal or greater class plus achieve scenario strategic objective) but in the scenarios the authors frequently mention 'Victory Points'. Are these the same thing?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    Good idea...in cast whatever you're casting starts being cast back at you.

A question...in the scenario rules they mention 'Ability Points' that accrue towards abilities and captains acquire them (i.e., defeat a ship of lesser, equal or greater class plus achieve scenario strategic objective) but in the scenarios the authors frequently mention 'Victory Points'. Are these the same thing?
    Quite so Paul, if they strike you Nasturtiums don't hurt quite as much as bells. The points system was twofold, and depended on the points set for winning certain set objectives. Victory points could be used as either money to raise replacement crews, or speed up the work of the dockyard in getting damaged ships back to sea so as to not have to miss the next few missions. Ability points were gained by Captains completing a mission and when added up to a certain number could be used to grant the Captain one of the Ares special ability cards. Neil kept a chart on line with all the seasons missions, outcomes and points scores. We just filled in our results on it for him to number crunch.
    You could sell captured ships for more points or keep them in your squadron and bring them up to scratch with a new crew with your prize money. This all became too much effort in the end so when I took over, i decided to let each mission speak for itself and people could just do what missions they fancied with no pressure to complete every month. This was an effort to keep up the dwindling number of players, but as you know it failed, so I just opened up the whole set of each previous years games for anyone to go back and have a bash at them.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Victory points could be used as either money to raise replacement crews, or speed up the work of the dockyard in getting damaged ships back to sea so as to not have to miss the next few missions. Ability points were gained by Captains completing a mission and when added up to a certain number could be used to grant the Captain one of the Ares special ability cards. Neil kept a chart on line with all the seasons missions, outcomes and points scores. We just filled in our results on it for him to number crunch.
    You could sell captured ships for more points or keep them in your squadron and bring them up to scratch with a new crew with your prize money. This all became too much effort in the end so when I took over, i decided to let each mission speak for itself and people could just do what missions they fancied with no pressure to complete every month. This was an effort to keep up the dwindling number of players, but as you know it failed, so I just opened up the whole set of each previous years games for anyone to go back and have a bash at them.

Rob.
    That explains things. It's definitely better to keep it simple; and thanks very much for opening up the scenarios. It's appreciated. My focus is 'how do I create a story line from the bits of this game'. The storyline is all but it is constrained by the game events.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Now that is the real challenge. We had far less latitude at the time as we had an establishment of a squadron of six ships and If I remember one specified Captain ability and later also one crew ability to allocate to a ship and captain of our choice. The scenario writer could of course give abilities out like snowflakes to his captains. Would like the adventure to be simple, hard or B well hard? However this meant that in general the named Captains just worked as a team and the only real story line of one game was if the outcome had a knock on effect in the next one, like if you did not capture the ship with the plans, you would not know how many ships you were up against in the next scenario?
    Rob.