Thread: AAR - Feb 2015 Our Ships were British Oak and Hearts of Oak our Men by ShadowDragon

Default AAR - Feb 2015 Our Ships were British Oak and Hearts of Oak our Men by ShadowDragon

Our ships were British oak, and hearts of oak our men (well, maybe that should be Spanish oak in this case)
    My version of the 2015 Campaign scenario, Our Ships were British oak, and hearts of oak our men, by Union Jack:

https://sailsofglory.org/showthread....ak-our-men-%92

Scene 1
    The interior of a captain’s cabin of a substantial warship – a ship of the line. A comely lady, but one who one wouldn’t want to meet in a dark alley – befitting a Queen of the Pirates, sits at a desk, looking through papers and making notes. A handsome – not in a boyish, Will Turner way or in a exotically flamboyant, Jack Sparrow way but in an old-fashion, swashbuckling, Errol Flynn or Yul Brynner way – near the woman, a man, obviously also a pirate based on his eclectic clothing lounges in a chair. The man jabs the woman with his toes – being too lazy to get out of his chair.

Gabriel: Ana, aren’t you done with business yet? Let’s have some fun – here or go ashore to the tavern for a drink with the lads. This is booooring. How about some of that fine brandy we found in the former captain’s locker.

Anamaria: Pirating is a business like any other, Gaby. It needs tending. For one, there’s all those Governors that need bribing for safe harbours or letters of marque. What an avaricious lot! We’re lucky to keep 50%. And it doesn’t help that you have a liking for large warships. Some of the most profitable pirates run sloops and brigs, but you need frigates and this ship – a proper ship-of-the-line. [Anamaria was referring to the ship in which they were ensconced – the Argonauta, a 3rd rater.]

Gabriel: Ah, come on, Ana. You have to admit these are nice quarters. Besides, I like having a large….ship. [He paused to see if Anamaria noticed the double entendre. If she did, she studiously ignored it; and so should you dear reader. This is a family story; and we have hopes – slim hopes I admit - that Disney will pickup the movie rights. So we’ll have none that here in a family forum.] Who had the insane idea of teaching you to read, write and do numbers, anyway?

Anamaria: You did, my dear Gaby.

Gabriel: Brilliant! [Gabriel reflected on his mother’s warning about his impulsiveness – that he should think before doing. He hadn’t really got the hang of that, which is the reason that Anamaria’s was doing the books and seeing to it that their enterprise was profitable but it was also the reason their bold ships struck terror in their opponents and why many an unfortunate was eager to join their company.]

Anamaria: [She finds something of interest in the papers] Gaby, if you have a fancy for big ships [that was a clever double entendre but it was way over Gabriel’s head – so a wasted inuendo if you will], take a note of this. The Orient is unaccompanied and re-fitting in the harbour of San Los Hope. They come much larger than the Orient.

Gabriel: That would be a splendid acquisition. We do have a number of willing volunteers that we liberated from those two slavers plus some more from that British convict ship. Poor souls - guilty of naught than trying to feed their families and being sent of to some, undoubtedly horrid place in the South Pacific – I can’t imagine anything good coming from there.

Anamaria: Don’t say that ship was ‘British’.

Gabriel: Well, how were we to know it was British. It was dark and we only know once we had boarded her. What were we supposed to do after all that hacking and slashing….oh sorry, didn’t know you were British. Apologies. We’ll just take our leave now. Bye.

Anamaria: I’m not worried about that – just let’s not advertise we’re taking British ships. Anyway, back to the Orient. The governor of that town, is rather indolent.

Gabriel: You mean he’s loose in the stays? [Anamaria winced at the mental vision of the corpulent governor with loose stays.] Well that is an opportunity. By the way, what’s a French ship doing in a Spanish port?

Scene 2
    It’s nighttime, on board the Argonauta, just off the fort that guards the harbour of San Los Hope. Gabriel, Anamaria and the rest of their crew are preparing for a surprise attack on the fort. The Orient, unaware of the presence of the Argonauta, lies at anchor in the harbour.

Name:  T0A.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  185.9 KB

Gabriel: It’s too dangerous. The guards might be alert. Let me lead the landing party.

Anamaria: We’ve been over this. No one is better than you at leading men to board an enemy – a wee bit overly dramatic but effective. I’ll be fine and, once we capture the fort, I’m the best at laying a gun. [Gabriel thought of a clever – or so he thought – double entendre retort, but, for once his mother’s advice came to mind and he thought it better to hold his tongue. Besides this was no time to risk Anamaria’s wrath. She had a smile that would melt the coldest of hearts but a scowl that would freeze the warmest of hearts.]

Anamaria had her way and soon two boats, swarming with deadly pirates, silently made their way to the fort. Before long there was a lantern, from the fort, that flashed three time. The signal that the fort was in the hands of the pirates. Now all they needed to do was to wait here until dawn. The Argonauta kept station such that the island with the fort lay between them and the Orient – hidden as it were from the Orient’s crew who felt assured that they were well protected by the harbour’s fort.

Name:  T0B.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  166.9 KB

Scene 3
    Dawn – and a strong sea breeze has picked up. The Orient makes ready to leave harbour – perhaps they’ve spotted the Argonauta. They make for the smaller channel. Another signal from the fort warns the Argonauta that the Orient is headed for the smaller channel. The Argonauta turns to starboard to head off the Orient.

Name:  T1.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  164.8 KB

The Orient struggles against the sea breeze. The Argonauta continues to starboard so as to avoid running aground on the island

Name:  T2.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  176.4 KB

The sea breeze gets stronger and pushes the Orient back and to the starboard. Shouts and cries come from the Orient’s crew. If they didn’t know about the Argonauta before they do now – and they suspect the Argonauta is not friendly. The Argonauta steers to port to intercept the Orient.

Name:  T3.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  173.9 KB

Whether by chance or design, the Orient sees it’s chance and heads for the larger channel. Gabriel curses – his prey is fleeing. Rather than hitting the Orient hard with a first, raking broadside, the Argonauta will be chasing the Orient.

Name:  T4.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  137.8 KB

…and worse, it exposes the Argonauta to a raking shot at two cables. Suddenly, red hot shot belches from the fort of San Los Hope – striking the surprised Orient. Fire from the hot shot breaks out on the ship.

Name:  T5.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  156.7 KB

The captain of the Orient is in a trap – caught in the irons of the strong sea breeze on a lee shore, with a warship astern and a fort firing red hot shot off the port beam, the options are limited.

Name:  T6.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  161.9 KB

Gabriel sees the Orient’s predicament. There’s no time for fancy manoeuvring lest the Orient escapes. The Argonauta heads straight for the Orient. “Bloody hell, another hard fought boarding”, he thinks. “This could get costly.” The Argonauta is at close quarters before firing on the Orient with her forward

Name:  T7.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  178.2 KB

The Argonauta and the Orient are entangled. Grappling hooks fly from the Argonauta to make fast with the Orient. “Ready, me hearties,” cries Gabriel, “No quarter. Let’s make a quick end it.” And with that the Argonauta’s crew are swarming over the Orient. In no time the Orient strikes its colours and the bloody melee is over.

Name:  T8.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  154.9 KB

Scene 4
    On board the Orient, Anamaria and her fellow cutthroats have joined those of the Argonaut’s crew that are still aboard the Orient. The second fire set by the red hot shot from the fort has been supressed by the joint efforts of the pirates and the remaining able-bodied crew of the Orient.

Gabriel: [Ordering his crew] We’ll take on board any ordinary, able-bodied Tar that will join us. Put the rest ashore.

Gabriel: {Seeing Anamaria] What was the meaning of that second salvo while we were boarding. I very nearly had a red hot ball up me arse.

Anamaria: [Well, I can’t really repeat it here, but she had the cleverest double entendre as a retort. So clever it made all the crew within hearing chuckle and, of course, Gabriel blush as you could not imagine a pirate could blush. However, on the chance that you have sensitive ears, dear reader, we’ll have to leave it to your imagination.]

Anamaria: [Eyeing the sweaty, blood smeared Gabriel, gives him that heart melting smile] About that brandy back on the Argonauta…

Gabriel: But….

Anamaria: But nothing…the crew know their business.

Name:  Argonauta.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  181.2 KB

Name:  Orient.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  180.7 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

What another spiffing tale of audacity and swash on the Spanish Main. At this rate you will soon have a fleet worthy of Henry Morgan Paul. It is interesting to note that the censor allows you to get away with Arse. I would have liked to see how the fight for the taking of the fort went though.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    What another spiffing tale of audacity and swash on the Spanish Main. At this rate you will soon have a fleet worthy of Henry Morgan Paul. It is interesting to note that the censor allows you to get away with Arse. I would have liked to see how the fight for the taking of the fort went though.
    Rob.
    Thanks, Rob, for the kind words, the rep and taking the time to read my schmaltzy tale. Yeah, reading ahead on the scenarios, I do need a Henry Morgan fleet. Gabriel and Anamaria will need to join up with the RN (or more likely the other way around) for the scenarios with the larger battles.

Censor must be American so I guess you can get with such British-y type words. I didn't know if it would or not. It seem apropos - sort of, but it seems like a bit of cockney is slipping into Gabriel's language. That can happen if there's a lot of association with those ex-convicts being send to parts of the South Pacific. Actually I was wondering if the whole tale might have been sent to the forum's equivalent of Van Diemen's land. Surprised that the censor wouldn't allow, Dickens. So, here you go, censor - Dickens:

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way – in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.".

Having passed the censor, I guess there's still a slim hope of a Disney contract, eh?

The fort? The short story is I rolled a '6'. I didn't elaborate as I thought John did such a good job of that with his story, but...to elaborate. There was one sentry on guard duty. Anamaria sidled up to him, claimed she was sent by the captain of the Orient as appreciation for protecting them, so while the sentry was distracted the other pirates snuck up from behind and over-powered him. The others were snoring in their beds. None of the garrison were killed. A very slick operation as one would expect from that clever Queen of the Pirates. I'm sure she speaks at least four languages fluently and with the accent of a native.

I suspect some new cast members will be joining the story in the next few episodes.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I think someone must have seen reason recently because the last attempt I made to mention either Charles or Dick Turpin I was**** out when I returned it.
    For my solo Indian Ocean Campaign I sailed as HEIC Bombay Marine Frigate, and when needed co-opted Royal Navy ships to afford a bit of backbone. The thing is that as envisaged we had two campaigns running on alternate months. A solo mission for beginners, and a Squadron based one for more advanced players, but some of us wanted more than one game every other month and took on both campaigns. Then things got too much to handle especially as some of us were also doing the games on the Drome as well. That is why we cut the show down to six games a year, but even that fizzled out midway through last year, and I ran out of scenario ideas too as I had been left holding the baby. Before each player had written at least on scenario a year with Neil and myself picking up any slack. It is great to see a couple of you playing the older games again. Makes the writing seem all the more worth while.
    Your quote from a Tale of Two Cities was very apt for our period Paul. I do hope you will be able to work a Madame Defarge character into your plot somewhere

Rob.

PS. I would sing quietly about Disney contracts if I were you. Remember the old addage about he who sups with the Devil needing a very long spoon!
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

I see you had no more success getting out than I did.

That young Gabriel does seems to like boarding actions, which seems entirely appropriate for a Pirate and he's after a Disney contract, the fellow has ambitions.

I'm pleased to see you've given a bit more thought to time scale than I did, I'm having the devils own job trying to remember where I'm supposed to be and what rank, and who I served under or over. I guess that's what happens with age and brandy.

It's good to see you sailing these waters and with the games coming so thick and fast it must be before the hurricane season sends ships scurrying for shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    I see you had no more success getting out than I did.

That young Gabriel does seems to like boarding actions, which seems entirely appropriate for a Pirate and he's after a Disney contract, the fellow has ambitions.

I'm pleased to see you've given a bit more thought to time scale than I did, I'm having the devils own job trying to remember where I'm supposed to be and what rank, and who I served under or over. I guess that's what happens with age and brandy.

It's good to see you sailing these waters and with the games coming so thick and fast it must be before the hurricane season sends ships scurrying for shelter.
    Yes, I was surprised at how difficult it was for the Orient....and then the wind picked up.

Your stories are recollections of a memory awash in '98 brandy, it's bound to be a flexible timeline. And...not to worry my timeline will be scuppered ere long....maybe not as bad as PoC: At World's End scuppered but scuppered nonetheless.

Hurricane season or the next DYM Aerodrome mission - which ever comes first. Also currently running a WoG virtual game and a Napoleonic game....but this one's for me and my twisted imagination.

BTW...thanks for the inspiration to make the move to SoG. Feels like I'm being pulled along in the wash.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post

BTW...thanks for the inspiration to make the move to SoG. Feels like I'm being pulled along in the wash.
    Could that be the Pugwash by any chance Paul?

Rob.

Could that be the Pugwash by any chance Paul?

Rob.
    More likely the Hogwash, Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You will find plenty of that here Paul. It's in my cabin just behind the eyewash.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

I personally recommend the 95 Hogwash and if you don't like the taste it comes in handy for thinning the varnish or even cleaning the brushes.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Will it clean whitewash John?
    Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Will it clean whitewash John?
    Rob.
    No, I'm afraid it won't deal with whitewash. For that you need a 2 part mixture of white wine vinegar and the 93 Hogwash in the proportions of 2 to 1. Don't for heaven sake make it at 1 to 2 because that's highly explosive and will remove half of Nottinghamshire from the face of the earth. Even worse it will be the half of Nottinghamshire that the mixer lives in.

On a more serious note, if you use the 95 instead of the 93 Hogwash, it will convert the whitewash into blackwash and there's no removing that as far as I know.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The blackwash could be useful for protecting dockyard piles against backwash then John. I will steer clear of the 1 to 2 mixture though. How did you find out about the properties of that?

Rob.