Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Default Blackbeard.

Here is one for the Swasbuckling Buccaneers amongst our ranks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7IFTF0pSD4

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Thanks for that, Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You are welcome Paul. It is strange what one comes across when researching for something totally unconnected.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    You are welcome Paul. It is strange what one comes across when researching for something totally unconnected.
    Rob.
    Indeed, it is strange...and often very interesting. One example, just because it's Black History month. I'm getting the usual corporate emails - you know the type a lot of platitudes and rather superficial, but Jane's an online teacher for Grade 3. Since we're both working from home I can often overhear the lessons. Most of the stuff for this month is American in origin, which is fine but since most of the the Black people here are from the Caribbean it would have been great if they school authorities had provided stuff on their history. It's fascinating and quite damning too. I knew a peripheral bit of the brutal fighting in Haiti because of my interest in Napoleonic times, but it's hard to imagine the thinking behind people who would work other people to death because...well, they'll die of yellow fever anyway. And then there's the horrid conditions placed on the Haitians for their independence - reparations to the plantation owners (yeah, absentee landlords in France) and a trade embargo (by not only France but the US) so that they only repay the 'debt' by the mid-20th century. No wonder the country is where it is today. Maybe instead of emails with platitudes the 'powers that be' could take the time to really understand, hmmm?

Sorry about that, but....all from trying to figure out what pirates were doing in the late 18th / early 19th centuries. And not really meant to be political - more just griping about management which is probably because I'm close to retiring.
    Last edited by ShadowDragon; 02-11-2021 at 07:27.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It is very hard to look at history without drawing comparisons. I think we do very well on both sites to be able to walk the tightrope of History without the modern consequences being brought up.
    Rob.