Thread: Greetings from California

Default Greetings from California

Hello all,
    My name is Anthony (aka Continentaleye) and I am new to Sails of Glory. I have many years experience with Wings of War/Glory and I am a member of wingsofwar.org. It is through that website I learned of this one. I look forward to learning more about the game through the extensive catalog of files and posts the members of the Anchorage have submitted. Thank you for all of your hard work and dedication to the game.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Welcome to the Anchorage Anthony, you will find a number of old friends here.
    All the best from me in Bristol uk (Boney10)

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

May I now add my formal welcome to you Anthony on behalf of all your new shipmates here at the Anchorage. You should find it quite familiar, as we have tried to keep it in line with our big brother on the Drome.
    Needless to say, any questions you may have, ask away.
    Sail safe and with a fair wind.
    Rob.(FO Kyte)
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Hi Anthony and welcome from the beautiful (and snowy) Hudson River Valley. I hope you enjoy this site as much as I have. If you have any questions post them on the site and there will be someone with deep knowledge on the topic. Anchors Aweigh !

Welcome, Anthony....lots of WoG/WoW here. It was that great-yarn teller, Vagabond, that enticed me here.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Welcome to the Anchorage, Anthony. This site works like the Aerodrome. So explore it, particularly the Files, and feel free to ask questions about the game.

Thank you all for the warm welcome. This is a very informative site. I really enjoy reading the AARs. I find the files very useful in learning and enjoying the game. I must unfortunately (make that embarrassedly) admit that Dobbs' AI seems to get the best of my ships in my solo forays.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Continentaleye View Post
    Thank you all for the warm welcome. This is a very informative site. I really enjoy reading the AARs. I find the files very useful in learning and enjoying the game. I must unfortunately (make that embarrassedly) admit that Dobbs' AI seems to get the best of my ships in my solo forays.
    Don't worry Anthony, that happens to the best of us from time to time. Allpart of the learning curve.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I've suffered at the hands of my AI as well, Anthony. There was a moment when I thought it might go better for me if I'd just try and defeat the AI using my AI.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Welcome Anthony, it's a funny thing about the AI systems, for WofW I used 4 different but similar ones until I settled on the one I found best for me, best meaning it wins more than it loses. I struggled a bit with AI for Sails because I found I was winning, now I've started using Dobbs AI it's much more down to the chits drawn.
    What I find funny is that I'm happier playing an AI that beats me rather than one where I beat it.

Will we be seeing any AAR's from you, that would be nice as there's not many games currently being posted regularly apart from Bligh, ShadowDragon and Dobbs.

Hi Anthony, as John says, you want an AI where the outcome is in doubt - where the AI wins somewhere between 1/3 and 2/3 of the time. More than once I've been quizzical of one of Dobbs AI choices only to have my shipped raked by the AI ship. In my last AAR all of the ships on both sides, save the pirate one, used AI - and what a blood bath it was. Great fun!