Thread: Play by PM SoG game

Default Play by PM SoG game

We have a lot of fun at the moment at the Aerodrome:

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...-3-vs-3-Turn-9

Could this be something interesting for SoG?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Comte de Brueys View Post

Looks great, but that's a lot of work for the person doing all the moves, photos and posting? I'd expect it could work here and might be a tad easier as you don't have to worry about 'altitude'? I'm trying to remember if Eric (former fearless leader) did something like this via Vassal?
    Last edited by Nightmoss; 01-17-2021 at 15:29.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

I've been following it on the WoW site and saw that scary photograph of someone called Sven from Bavaria I see you have just lost a kill due to rules interpretation,

I think it's an excellent idea but not sure there are as many playing games on this site as on the WoW one.

As Nightmoss said it would be a lot of work, are you suggesting you would set it up? I think with the right scenario it would work exceptionally well for sails, I imagine at a slower pace maybe things would be less frenetic than in the air but could still be as much fun.

If you are interested in directing the action I would be very interested in taking part.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Could well be something worth investigating my dear Comte.
    Any takers?
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

I have to think about a location to set up a two-mat game for a few days. (Untouched)

Another question wich rules to use and how to track ship actions...

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I have to think about a location to set up a two-mat game for a few days. (Untouched)

Another question wich rules to use and how to track ship actions...
    I haven't played the game enough recently to be offering much advice, but personally I would start small (two ships/one for each player) and with basic rules and gradually add more complexity after a game or two? Begin with a "free for all" and matching ships so you get a sense of how to move forward? If Sven as organizer feels that more complexity can be added at start more power to him.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Sorry Sven I did not think about that, because my mats are now permanent fixtures.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

If you use the Ares mats, the gridlines might prove useful for once. You could use them to describe the initial positions.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good point Dave. My mat has no grid and is slightly bigger than two Ares mats in order to maximise the space on my playing surface.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    If you use the Ares mats, the gridlines might prove useful for once. You could use them to describe the initial positions.

Or create a gridded map showing current positions, that would make it easier for participants to plot their new move with some precision, how are you doing it in the WoW game, are you just using the photos Florien is posting?

Without a dedicated space for a few days it will be difficult unless you go for more of a map game.

Rules could be whatever you are comfortable with.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I just added this grid for dice to place ships, bot it could easily be extended to 64 grids lettered like a chess board is or Battleships board.
    Rob.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

...another point are the pictures with their quality/visibility.

The game should be displayed in style here.

Don't know if my cellphone can do this.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Your posted pictures seem to be good to me Sven?

Rob.

It's more about the overview for tactical planing.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Ah, yes I see. The few aerial shots of the games mat I have tried have never been of a great success even when standing on the table.

Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

You could used a scaled gridded map and scale counters to represent the ships and photograph that to show an overview of where ships are in relation to other ships.

You could also do it on a computer with various programs. The microfoft excel spreadsheet for example.

Rob what did you use for your grid? Are the symbols you used movable and can you orientate them at angles other than 90' - sorry looking at it again I see you have the ship at an angle, so can you grab that and move it?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post

Rob what did you use for your grid? Are the symbols you used movable and can you orientate them at angles other than 90' - sorry looking at it again I see you have the ship at an angle, so can you grab that and move it?
    Nothing so sophisticated as that John I'm afraid.
    Just a photo of my table with the square numbers and grid photoshopped on. You will see what it is for when I get my game written up this week.
    Rob.

You could dispense with the PBEM as old tech and just use Tabletop Simulator. https://www.tabletopsimulator.com/

The basic game is about 20 USD and then you plug in user made modules. There is one for SOG. I played Trafalgar with 6 players using a miniatures rule set called "Fighting Sail" from Osprey.

Here is one of the SOG modules. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1396046719

I would be surprised if this was not mentioned on the Aerodrome. It basically automates all the work discussed in this thread for the price of one ship or plane.

Maybe, but it‘s not the same if you setup a game with the real minis, posting pictures and comments here.

That‘ more in a tradition of an AAR / Con Games and real tabletop.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It is the real minis I like too Sven.
    Rob.

Maybe, but it‘s not the same if you setup a game with the real minis, posting pictures and comments here.

That‘ more in a tradition of an AAR / Con Games and real tabletop.
    True that is the downside of the virtual games.

What about running a Zoom game? That way everyone is live making it easier for the GM to move the minis and of course the real ones are on the table.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That would rule me out as I don't Zoom.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Just to clarify in my mind is the game on the Aerodrome involving 3 separate mats (one for each player and one for the moderator)? Or is there just one map that the GM is using to monitor moves? If there's only one mat and the GM coordinates everything after the players submit moves this may not be too complicated to do if players agree that the final word on moves and combat is the GMs?

Bottom line is the GM mat and turns is all we'd see here, whether player or peanut gallery observer.
    –English Proverb

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Rob.
    I've read your AAR's on the WoW site and would beg to differ, you do ZOOM!!!

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Just to clarify in my mind is the game on the Aerodrome involving 3 separate mats (one for each player and one for the moderator)? Or is there just one map that the GM is using to monitor moves? If there's only one mat and the GM coordinates everything after the players submit moves this may not be too complicated to do if players agree that the final word on moves and combat is the GMs?

Bottom line is the GM mat and turns is all we'd see here, whether player or peanut gallery observer.
    Jim it was the GM who had the mats and moved the planes, the players sent him their moves and he made them. My only thought really is how do the players know where there ships are in relation to the other players ships so that they can make a meaningful move.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I thought we would all have a mat set up, and post our moves to the GM. He would then set up the mat as it was in the new situation with any actions we had made and post that on this site. We would then adjust our ships accordingly and send him our next move.

rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Jim it was the GM who had the mats and moved the planes, the players sent him their moves and he made them. My only thought really is how do the players know where there ships are in relation to the other players ships so that they can make a meaningful move.
    From what I could see on the Aerodrome the top down view that the GM took at the beginning and end of each turn would be sufficient for players to decide their moves? The issue that is more of a problem with Wings is altitude.

With Sails a good top down view of the ships might be all you'd need to decide on movement and eventual firing? The GM could take photos with range markers, etc. Decisions on wind could be double checked with GM as well? Just my two cents and general thinking to get the boat in the water.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I thought we would all have a mat set up, and post our moves to the GM. He would then set up the mat as it was in the new situation with any actions we had made and post that on this site. We would then adjust our ships accordingly and send him our next move.

rob.
    That would certainly work, but would definitely require more precise measurements for the two players mats, etc.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I would think that you would all need to have measurements from the two corners of your ship base to the enemy mainmast. That would triagulate both ships. With more involved games using multiple ships it could get much more time consuming.
    Rob.

I'm afraid anybody has to judge the distances by the pictures they get in the forum.

I think about a second picture with the ship mats and displayed Crew actions, set sail status, damages etc...

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Adding a range stick to the bottom of the picture would help that Sven.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here is a little diversion for you Sven.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzJcDmj5ghQ

Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

This is what I had in mind so that the Captains could see their position, either as a computer graphic or a sheet of graph paper with cardboard tokens on it, that would be much easier to photograph than the whole playing mat. It need work to show which ship is which and their heading etc.

Name:  Internet Game.JPG
Views: 866
Size:  53.1 KB

It's Microsoft Excel the spreadsheet, with pics of SOG ships overlaid and positioned. Other graphics could be added to show gunfire etc. The drama would be the photos of the ships on the table but this would be the plan for new moves to be ordered. The Rectangles just need scaling with the ship bases.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Yes that developes my Chess Board idea and makes it even more easy to use if it is scaled to the ships base size so closely.
    I like your idea. I hope Sven does too.
    Rob.

Here is a little diversion for you Sven.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzJcDmj5ghQ

Rob.
    Thank you, Sir. Nice little video.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

And thank you for the Rep my dear Comte.
    Rob.

Rob.
    I just listened to a podcast from Too Fat Lardies about gaming in 2020 and the future. Rich from TFL was just as dismissive of Zoom for gaming until he started using it to playtest rules with some blokes in Australia. Now he thinks it presents new gaming opportunities that they had not though of before. Like any new tech it takes familiarity and of course some equipment (although the participants really only need a phone). I have to run video court hearings for work so use Zoom or Webex on a weekly basis. But much depends on the broadband availability of the participants. I imagine it would be useful to keep up with family in the UK given the much stricter lockdown. We did have a family Christmas Zoom call with my relatives in Holland which worked great.

Years ago I participated in a PBEM game of Wings where the referee had programed the cards (using the plane cards not miniatures) on a map. He would send the map to the players and each player would provide the card numbers for their move in a return e-mail. Then he would play out the turn and send the updated map back with shooting results. It may have even been with MS paint.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That could certainly be a way forward Eric.
    What part of Holland are your relatives in? My second cousin and his family lived in Den Haag.
    Rob.

That could certainly be a way forward Eric.
    What part of Holland are your relatives in? My second cousin and his family lived in Den Haag.
    Rob.
    That is where they are. I have 3 cousins all in that area, originally from Voorberg a suburb of Den Haag. Now 2 are living near the center of Den Haag and one still in Voorberg. One family came to visit the US after many years of planning, fortunately the summer before Covid! We took them on a tour of the Capitol, Philadelphia and NYC, then they rented an RV and toured New England and Maine.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

We were supposed to be visiting Holland this year after many years absence, but Covid put the lid on that and the visit to Vancouver Island which we also had on our bucket list.
    Rob.

That is a shame. I would love to visit Vancouver myself. On the bright side more time to plan and save for the trip next year!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

This is very true Eric. Mrs Bligh has a sister living on the island and we thought that we could also pull in a visit to Old guy and Donna at the same time, so roll on next year.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Better get ourselves back on the subject of the Thread methinks!
    Rob.