Thread: An Affair in Morocco (Part Three)

Hybrid View

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Once more the cunning of Suleiman was shown as he yawed and raked Essex at long range rather than simply run.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

This time the damage was more severe as Essex took another hit below the waterline and her pumps had to be started to contain the inrush of water, whilst the Carpenter Mr Grady and his crew raced below to assess and attempt to rectify the damage. The wind chose this precise time to strengthen and veer into the North.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The change of wind was the first piece of luck for Essex as it forced Mukabir to slightly curtail its projected turn allowing Essex to close significantly whilst now on her best point of sailing.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Following Mukabir’s turn Millington decided to try and bring off another raking shot, fooling the enemy by appearing to start a course change and then reverting to his original course.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Once again the cunning of Suleiman proved itself as it was he who changed course and the intended raker became the rakee.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It was at this point that Millington decided to give up the subtle approach and go for a conclusion. Ignoring further shots from the rear of the Algerine, he gave orders to crowd on full sail he set a course to intercept the Al Mukabir.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Shrugging off the paltry attempt and the cries’ of pain from those of his crew who had been hit, Millington pressed on and ordered his crew to be issued with weapons, and that the boarding nets be dropped.