Thread: What's on Your Workbench for January 2021

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Default What's on Your Workbench for January 2021

I'll kick off the new year with The Black Pearl. Finished her last evening. I expect I'll move on to some scenery, USS Essex or the Warlord merchant ships, (which are very nice by the way).
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Loved this one Jim when I saw it on FB. How did you get the skulls eyes to change color? Really nice effect.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Loved this one Jim when I saw it on FB. How did you get the skulls eyes to change color? Really nice effect.
    Thanks Vol. Skull Island is actually hollow inside (Woodland Scenics Shaper Sheets) and I use one of those battery tea lights that automatically cycles through the colors. It looks even better in videos. I've also used the amber/white flickering tea lights, which then looks more like a fire or flames might be burning inside the mountain.
    –English Proverb

Very cool Jim!

Started a new ship, one of Henry's resin prints, the Dash 3rd rate Holsteen. I had to add some rails to have something to tie off later rigging to, and a minor repair to a breakout while drilling a hole.

Name:  20210106_175935.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  150.1 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Another useful tip on rails Vol. I have only ever used a strip of plasticard for rails but yours looks much more the ticket.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Black Seas merchants are up next I think? Looking at the smaller merchant ship I can't help but think this would make a really nice 'generic' pirate ship? Both have nice detail regardless.
    –English Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Another useful tip on rails Vol. I have only ever used a strip of plasticard for rails but yours looks much more the ticket.
    Rob.
    Common staples are the material

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Black Seas merchants are up next I think? Looking at the smaller merchant ship I can't help but think this would make a really nice 'generic' pirate ship? Both have nice detail regardless.
    Yes they both look like pirate material

I decided to build up some of my 3rd rate 3D hulls to match the Warlord Games Black Seas hulls on the table
    Name:  20210109_194653.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  182.8 KB
    Name:  20210109_194710.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  181.6 KB
    Name:  20210109_194741.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  169.0 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I have done much the same using plasticard in the past Vol.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

My desk have 15mm Swedish dragoons for my Great Northern Wars army.

Name:  F050E546-08BB-4BB2-99DA-71172AE68794.jpg
Views: 866
Size:  239.2 KB

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post

These are fine looking fellows, I much prefer the simpler look to the tricorne era than the more popular Napoleonic uniforms.

The Black Pearl - opening post looks pretty good as well.
    Cheers

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Well, some uniforms of guard units could still get very much... details... mousquetaire style...

The Swedish king Carl XII was very protestantic and had himself a uniform without any decoration.
    His guard though... The gold of the corporal weighed 2,2 kg.

Name:  CC206A1E-0BBD-482A-8780-08C37345C587.jpeg
Views: 836
Size:  166.9 KB

Those I thankfully painted when I was younger as I never could have painted three golden stripes on the reins now.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Those I thankfully painted when I was younger as I never could have painted three golden stripes on the reins now.
    I know that feeling only too well Jonas.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

They look awesome!
    –English Proverb

It was a very colorful period for uniforms. Nice job Jonas!

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

For most armies every regiment had different colours. Sweden had what was called "enhetsuniform" (unity uniform) with the idea of a blue coat with the turn backs yellow for everyone, so most were blue-yellow but cavalry often wore blue-blue, some infantry regiments were blue-red and some were blue-white. But low quality troops often got cheap coats, especially later in the war for Sweden, often grey-blue or grey-yellow.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Interesting Jonas. I did not know that.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Converting cavalry.
    Name:  8FFC5758-B78F-4E2C-9D66-627193EB4AA3.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  255.0 KB

Primed half of the men. Four squadrons.
    Name:  65807E63-3F83-46C6-9F17-900C7BD8BCCD.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  217.1 KB

We've had a big wind storm here. Our internet was down since yesterday until about half an hour ago. Being rural our internet supplies our phone, our TV, computers, news, weather, etc.
    So since there were no distractions....
    I got the Holsteen painted!

Name:  20210113_194811.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  131.4 KB
    Name:  20210113_194937.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  153.3 KB
    Name:  20210113_194834.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  126.5 KB

I used the painting of the 90 gun Christian VII as a model for this two deck 60 gun Danish ship.
    She was a block ship at the 1801 battle of Copenhagen and the only ship taken into British service from the battle.
    I am debating how to model her, block ship or under way.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Block ship would give you a very limited useage Vol. I would complete her under way.
    Rob.

Block ship would give you a very limited useage Vol. I would complete her under way.
    Rob.
    Good advice Rob. Battle sails courses & tops furled? Or more? What do you think? I don't have any Russians or Swedes to fight yet, just British.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I generally prefer Battle sails just because that is what the game is all about, and most ships, by the time they got to the distance represented on our table world would have already gone to ACTION STATIONS unless they were taken unawares, running away or in an end chase.

Rob.

I generally prefer Battle sails just because that is what the game is all about, and most ships, by the time they got to the distance represented on our table world would have already gone to ACTION STATIONS unless they were taken unawares, running away or in an end chase.

Rob.
    Ok, will do! Not as much fun modeling wise but much more practical.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I finished the troopers but I still have the step markers left to finish, but that might take a while so I’ll post them anyway.

Stenbocks dragonregemente

Name:  A6EA789E-61EA-4823-BFB9-A7B81312E8ED.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  214.6 KB

Name:  3940C0A7-0C8A-4F77-85AE-354165F3A7AF.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  224.9 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A fine body of men to be sure Jonas
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Today I has been mostly making new Ship Logs.
    Rob.

Tonight I finshed the standing rigging on the Holsteen. I have only been getting small bit of time here and there to work on this one so it has taken longer than the last one. Or at least it seems that way to me.

Name:  20210123_195509.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  141.7 KB
    Name:  20210123_195523.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  134.3 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Once again Museum quality workmanship, or should I add brushmanship to that Vol.

Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Excellent work, Vol. I wish you had more time in your day to devote to your hobbies.
    –English Proverb

Thanks guys, and thanks for the rep points Rob. Are these battle sails what you had in mind Rob?

Jim I could devote more time to the hobbies and wish I could. But at this stage of my life I am more concerned with staying active and mobile. Sitting for long hours bent over a desk painting and rigging frankly hurts these days. So I spend most of my days moving around, taking walks, working out, doing honey-do list stuff, outside and inside maintenance chores, etc. The hobby time is limited to one hour at a sitting max. This can occur more than once a day, but sometimes it is only a half hour before I start to stiffen up and have to move. Such is my life.
    Last edited by Volunteer; 01-24-2021 at 09:25.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Thanks guys, and thanks for the rep points Rob. Are these battle sails what you had in mind Rob?

Jim I could devote more time to the hobbies and wish I could. But at this stage of my life I am more concerned with staying active and mobile. Sitting for long hours bent over a desk painting and rigging frankly hurts these days. So I spend most of my days moving around, taking walks, working out, doing honey-do list stuff, outside and inside maintenance chores, etc. The hobby time is limited to one hour at a sitting max. This can occur more than once a day, but sometimes it is only a half hour before I start to stiffen up and have to move. Such is my life.
    I can empathize completely with your situation Vol. I'll be hitting 69 this year and I avoid sitting in place for too long for the same reasons you've shared. It was only recently that the doctors told me the stress from being hunched over models may impact tinnitus in older adults. Having cut back on the modeling time has reduced that problem as well as eye strain and some other issues too. Getting old does suck at times!
    –English Proverb

I can empathize completely with your situation Vol. I'll be hitting 69 this year and I avoid sitting in place for too long for the same reasons you've shared. It was only recently that the doctors told me the stress from being hunched over models may impact tinnitus in older adults. Having cut back on the modeling time has reduced that problem as well as eye strain and some other issues too. Getting old does suck at times!
    Yep, me too, 69 in April

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Those are exactly what I had in my mind's eye Jim.
    Without wanting this thread becoming a I take more pills than you do brag, I can also empathize. At almost 74 I have been on a walk 10,000 paces a day and don't spend more than half an hour at a time on the computer. My hip and leg has been locking up for some time now if I stay in the same position for too long. fortunately I can walk it off after about ten minutes. As Jim says age is a big down hill slide.
    The only thing I can say that is worse than that is not getting old.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I just saw this posted on Facebook. Not on my workbench, but I really like the way it looks. Posted on the Warlord Games pages by Gene Dodd III:

Here’s an easy way to make splash markers:
    Stick some putty on a coin, glue a cigarette filter standing up in the center, tease out the cotton to look like a splash, and finish with blue wash and paint.
    –English Proverb

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I just saw this posted on Facebook. Not on my workbench, but I really like the way it looks. Posted on the Warlord Games pages by Gene Dodd III:

Here’s an easy way to make splash markers:
    Stick some putty on a coin, glue a cigarette filter standing up in the center, tease out the cotton to look like a splash, and finish with blue wash and paint.
    Call me cheap, but I'd use a washer instead of a coin.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Certainly a cheap way of producing your markers, coin or not.
    Not sure if in England we still have a law about not defacing coin of the realm?

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

When Sweden abandoned the 10-öring, a very small coin worth less than a pence, I hoarded them. Now I have no idea where I put them...

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Ah! If only I had the foresight to have done that with our old farthings Jonas.
    Rob.

Hey how about that I finally finished something I started in the same month! Holsteen 60-gun Danish SOL from Henry Turner.

Name:  20210126_162751.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  200.2 KB
    Name:  20210126_162802.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  175.4 KB
    Name:  20210126_162825.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  175.9 KB
    Name:  20210126_162840.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  190.7 KB
    Name:  20210126_162848.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  172.7 KB
    Name:  20210126_162900.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  149.7 KB
    Name:  20210126_162909.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  184.4 KB
    Name:  20210126_162939.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  216.8 KB

More pics at https://volsminiatures.blogspot.com/...steen.html?m=1

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That sure is a beauty Vol. You have deliniated Henry's fine detail superbly.
    My box with the next project arrived this morning, so after its three day quarintine it will be ready to start on my February workshop of producing the John Adams for my squadron in the Med.

Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

This is one of your smartest looking ships yet, Vol. I wish Rory was still around to comment. I expect he'd be bouncing off the walls in admiration.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

That sure is a beauty Vol. You have deliniated Henry's fine detail superbly.
    My box with the next project arrived this morning, so after its three day quarintine it will be ready to start on my February workshop of producing the John Adams for my squadron in the Med.

Rob.
    Will be anxious to see how the John Adams turns out. I have to confess I wasn't aware of the long history of this US ship? Pretty amazing history.
    –English Proverb

Absolutely stunning model Vol.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Will be anxious to see how the John Adams turns out. I have to confess I wasn't aware of the long history of this US ship? Pretty amazing history.
    Aside from the Moorish connection,that was the main reason I chose to do it Jim. More ship for my Buck as you chaps would say.
    Rob.

This is one of your smartest looking ships yet, Vol. I wish Rory was still around to comment. I expect he'd be bouncing off the walls in admiration.
    Thanks Jim, and thank you for the rep points. Yes I think Rory would have liked this. I sure miss talking with him about ships.

And thank you Rob and Eric for the kind comments.

Tonight I started the laser cut wooden schooner my daughter gave me for Christmas. The Chinese instructions are kicking my butt! LOL
    Name:  20210127_174418.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  195.8 KB
    Name:  20210127_210959.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  172.4 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

looking very promising Vol. A new challnge is just the sort of thing we need to get through lockdown. First thuogh i must learn Chinese. Is it in Cantonese or Manderin?
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Name:  20210127_130453.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  196.7 KB

Name:  20210127_130707.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  198.0 KB

My Winter boatbuilding project. 7 years ago, I built the "temporary" prototype. The time has finally come to replace her with a more permanent dinghy. Murphy is included for scale.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You are going to need very big movement cards for that one Dobbs.
    Rob.