Thread: How to make flashing broadside markers

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Carlos

Default How to make flashing broadside markers

Has anyone tried this? I want to have some cool cannon effects alongside my ships.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Hmm... maybe form a glob of cotton around a flickering LED tealight or those LED earrings Rob used for his burning ships? Possibly use a shaped chunk of aluminum foil as a reflector?
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Have a look at post 45 here Carlos.

https://www.sailsofglory.org/showthr...4888#post94888

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

You might find this YouTube video tutorial of help? The crew at Little War TV came up with these when they fought Trafalgar some time ago.

"It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Great stuff. I actually have a lot of those bits Jim. Just did not do a flashing one because it is a lot harder to catch on camera.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Great stuff. I actually have a lot of those bits Jim. Just did not do a flashing one because it is a lot harder to catch on camera.
    Rob.
    Very true. With still photography you're likely to only get one or maybe two LEDs on at the same time.
    –English Proverb

If you look in the AAR thread I have several convention game reports using lighted broadside markers. (Way back in 2014 and 2015 actually lol). In addition to the thread posted above and the more recent game Dobbs hosted.

https://www.sailsofglory.org/showthr...on)-Historicon

This one shows some of the LEDs. I used something called Blinky lights. Little LED blinking buttons and attached a base and a bit of cotton ball, well actually the fake snow craft store stuffing. Here is a link to the lights:

https://www.flashingblinkylights.com...p-on-pins.html

Thanks Eric. I have one of these that Gunner sent me years ago ss a fire marker. I didn't know where to find more until now.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

For fire markers they look excellent, though flashing a bit too fast for me for gun fire, unless you are representing a rolling broadside rather than a simultaneous one.
    Fantasising, I thought that a remote controlled light which you could activate when your broadside was fired and adjust for a rolling broadside as an option would be the ultimate solution.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    If you look in the AAR thread I have several convention game reports using lighted broadside markers. (Way back in 2014 and 2015 actually lol). In addition to the thread posted above and the more recent game Dobbs hosted.

https://www.sailsofglory.org/showthr...on)-Historicon

This one shows some of the LEDs. I used something called Blinky lights. Little LED blinking buttons and attached a base and a bit of cotton ball, well actually the fake snow craft store stuffing. Here is a link to the lights:

https://www.flashingblinkylights.com...p-on-pins.html
    Thanks for the links, Eric. If memory serves you used to play Naval Action? I'm back on the pve server. I just redeemed my Christian.
    –English Proverb

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

I usually experience a flashing broadside from SWMBO after I inadvertently run athwart her hawser in some way.....

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Thanks for the links, Eric. If memory serves you used to play Naval Action? I'm back on the pve server. I just redeemed my Christian.
    Correct. I have not been playing much as my clan on PVP when on to other games, then Prussia got overrun and our clan warehouse is in a Spanish port now!

Christian is a great ship. I never ranked up far enough after the release wipe to get her in the gifts though. Since I now have a 2k monitor I have played a bit recently. Looking forward to their single player game "Sea Legends" which is promised to be more of a sailing sim with all the bits like variable wind, true depths and detailed sail control that were left out of NA. Coming out as alpha soon but hard to stomach the 145 USD price. I guess that is in line with Milsims like DCS though.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Correct. I have not been playing much as my clan on PVP when on to other games, then Prussia got overrun and our clan warehouse is in a Spanish port now!

Christian is a great ship. I never ranked up far enough after the release wipe to get her in the gifts though. Since I now have a 2k monitor I have played a bit recently. Looking forward to their single player game "Sea Legends" which is promised to be more of a sailing sim with all the bits like variable wind, true depths and detailed sail control that were left out of NA. Coming out as alpha soon but hard to stomach the 145 USD price. I guess that is in line with Milsims like DCS though.
    Thanks for the reply and update on your Naval Action situation. While they've changed some things for the better I feel life on the PVE server is rather boring. It takes too long to get anything accomplished and with over 1,300 hours in the game I don't feel like putting much more into a game that's pretty much been set adrift by the developers.

Like you indicated they're focusing on Sea Legends and while some folks love what they're promising I'm not likely to be one of them. I enjoy games not real world simulations. A 'game' as granular as this is sounding may only to appeal to sailors? Time will tell.
    –English Proverb

Thanks for the reply and update on your Naval Action situation. While they've changed some things for the better I feel life on the PVE server is rather boring. It takes too long to get anything accomplished and with over 1,300 hours in the game I don't feel like putting much more into a game that's pretty much been set adrift by the developers.

Like you indicated they're focusing on Sea Legends and while some folks love what they're promising I'm not likely to be one of them. I enjoy games not real world simulations. A 'game' as granular as this is sounding may only to appeal to sailors? Time will tell.
    Yeah the game was always focused on the MMO aspects on the PVP server. But with that you always get some toxic players and groups to deal with. You may be right about SL they always wanted a more sim oriented game, but that is what I want anyway! No off season maintenance with a PC game though!

They do also have Ultimate Admiral Age of Sail which is set during the AWI and encompasses both land and sea actions. This is more of a fleet battle and management game but does take things like the ships from NA. It is in Early access but playable. Also there is a land based game about the AWI coming along the lines of Ultimate General Civil War.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Yeah the game was always focused on the MMO aspects on the PVP server. But with that you always get some toxic players and groups to deal with. You may be right about SL they always wanted a more sim oriented game, but that is what I want anyway! No off season maintenance with a PC game though!

They do also have Ultimate Admiral Age of Sail which is set during the AWI and encompasses both land and sea actions. This is more of a fleet battle and management game but does take things like the ships from NA. It is in Early access but playable. Also there is a land based game about the AWI coming along the lines of Ultimate General Civil War.
    Ultimate Admiral Age of Sail definitely has some appeal, but I'm not going to invest in early access with Gamelabs. They have established a reputation for not listening to their players and digging in their developer heels much to the chagrin of paying customers (even if it's early access). With so many other hobbies in the queue I can wait.
    –English Proverb

Ultimate Admiral Age of Sail definitely has some appeal, but I'm not going to invest in early access with Gamelabs. They have established a reputation for not listening to their players and digging in their developer heels much to the chagrin of paying customers (even if it's early access). With so many other hobbies in the queue I can wait.
    I hear ya, but to be fair this is a different development team. All the UG&UA games are developed by the guy who used to develop historical realism mods for the Total War games - Darthmod. Nick Thomazidis(sp). They are also developing an Age of Dreadnoughts game. I agree though the games are going through changes but nothing like what NA did. Still I check the discord groups for updates and to follow the development.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I hear ya, but to be fair this is a different development team. All the UG&UA games are developed by the guy who used to develop historical realism mods for the Total War games - Darthmod. Nick Thomazidis(sp). They are also developing an Age of Dreadnoughts game. I agree though the games are going through changes but nothing like what NA did. Still I check the discord groups for updates and to follow the development.
    Thanks Eric. For now I'll just keep hauling "Black Salt" in NA until I make enough millions to purchase a Santisima Trinidad or l'Ocean.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

We seem to have strayed from the subject gents.
    Would you like me to move this to another new thread, or are you OK with the diversion Carlos?

Rob.

Would you like me to move this to another new thread, or are you OK with the diversion Carlos?

Rob.
    Sorry no need we are all caught up! Back on topic for more questions on lighted Broadside markers

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

No need for an apology Eric. I have done it myself on threads more than once caught up by the interest of the moment.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Rob.
    Apologies, as I'm the one who diverted the thread.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

As I said to Eric, you really don't need to apologise, but I am sure that Carlos will not mind as we did not totally run off into the sunset with it.
    I am still playing about with lighting effects myself but have not yet managed the rolling effect you get from HMS Victory.
    Rob.