Thread: Point Equivalent for Coastal Shore Batteries - Is there a Standard Endorsed by Ares?

Landsman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Default Point Equivalent for Coastal Shore Batteries - Is there a Standard Endorsed by Ares?

I was considering the potential for more complex using Coastal Batteries (the game expansion pack) but came up with a question Ships are given points by Ares for forming equal flotillas. But if an opponent is placed in a situation where shore batteries are on their side, how do you fabricate an equal battle.

I see the batteries as fairly low in points as they cant manouever. However, I also see their static position as almost an advantage - especially when positioned in a way that sailing into them is unavoidable but a crossfire could be devastating. Any thoughts? Is there something official that I cant find?

Thanks in advance for any links or advice.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Shore batteries sound more devastating than they really are a ship sailing close to a shore battery is through its cone of fire in one round of play and can't be further damaged, nor can shore batteries rake you so their effect is limited. Also consider why you would use a shore battery in a scenario. Would it not be to add an extra challenge to your game? Otherwise you may as well field another ship instead of a couple of cross firing shore batteries. You are the sole arbiter of what is and is not permissable in your game.
    You may even like to take out a troublesome battery by a landing action with your ships Marines. We have rules in the forum for this.
    Hope this helps Chris.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just looked up the points values ascribed to the Forts on the Ares list.

THEY ARE AS FOLLOWS:-

Fort 5031 121points
    Fort 5032 36 points
    Fort 5033 160 points
    Fort 5034 57 points
    Fort 5035 81 points

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.