Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
Are you building Black Seas ships now Jim? Your Orient is beautiful. I haven't tried a 1st rate yet. Did it come with plastic or metal masts? I don't have any info on the dimensions for first rate masts or spars in 1/700. I am using the same measurements I obtained from the WGBS 3rd rates for the masts, spars and sails for HMS Captain. The Black Seas 3rd rates are exactly 3" at the gun deck which equates to 175 feet at 1/700 scale, which would be an average for the common to middling 3rd rate. Though they are a bit too high for true scale. Henry's Canada class 3rd rate comes out exactly at the Captain's 172 ft and the depth is right on for the scale. But in order to sit the same table with the Warlord Games ships, I may have to raise it a bit, like I do with the Navwar ships so they can play with the Langtons.
Oh and thank you Jim for the Rep points, much appreciated!
Yes, Vol, I'm trying to catch up with the Warlord 1/700 ships I purchased last year. Warlord 1st rates come with metal fittings (masts, boats, anchors, etc.) and the hull proper is resin. The fleet boxes for French, British and Spanish include one resin 1st rate, 3 plastic frigates, 3 plastic 3rd rates and a bomb ships base. I'll try to get some photos up of the the metal masts from HMS Victory held against the 3rd plastic masts so you can see comparison shots. A big reason I moved to 1/700 is directly related to my eyes and how well I can model after the cataract surgery. 1/1000 is doable, but my days of 1/1200 ship assembly (at least for rigging) are probably over. Thanks also for the rep.