Thread: Need Some Help For a Club Game in January

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Andrew

Default Need Some Help For a Club Game in January

Hi the wargames club are starting up again in January i want to put on a game of Argo's Scenario The first battle of Toulon 1799 I have models for all the ships but not all of them are exactly the correct name. I Need the french ship Formidable I have Tonnant same class of ship different name So to cut a long list short i need ships logs and the base inserts for FRENCH Formidable and the french ship Redoutable I have the correct ships and names for the other 3 french ships BRITISH HMS Belleropon HMS Majestic HMS America HMS Caton So how do i go about custom making ship logs and base insert cards ps i am a luddite and have non existent computer skills i do have access to a daughter who has a lot more than i do. Is it just a case of print what i have cut it up with scissors stick it back together and re print even then how do i get the correct print type for the names Any Help would be gratefully appreciated Ps Is it me or is the french frigate proserpine name spelt like that it looks wrong i also need to make more ship control boards and counters i have a un punched starter set so that is a case of print what i have and stick to card. Can i assume i need a set of Chits Etc for every 4 ships as the starter set.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here is your first installment Andy. The rest will be coming up.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Bligh; 12-04-2020 at 13:47.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Last edited by Bligh; 12-04-2020 at 13:46.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Last edited by Bligh; 12-04-2020 at 13:46.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Simplyandy View Post
    HMS Majestic
    Any SGN104 will do as a stand-in, stats generally don't differ on Slade Common 74s.
    HMS America
    Any of the British 64's will do.
    HMS Caton
    Take either of the British-flag Artesiens and slap a new name and date on it.
    Ps Is it me or is the french frigate proserpine name spelt like that it looks wrong
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proserpina
    i also need to make more ship control boards and counters i have a un punched starter set so that is a case of print what i have and stick to card. Can i assume i need a set of Chits Etc for every 4 ships as the starter set.
    Better idea would be make a paper copy of the Log, then laminate that and write the chits on it with dry-erase marker. Less fighting with chits over the course of a big long game, less pieces to lose.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post

Better idea would be make a paper copy of the Log, then laminate that and write the chits on it with dry-erase marker. Less fighting with chits over the course of a big long game, less pieces to lose.
    You can find many of the ships simplified logs also for the type of use that DB suggests here Andrew.

https://sailsofglory.org/downloads.php?do=cat&id=6

I use these or similar for the really big games like Basque Roads, the Nile and Trafalgar. It speeds up your game, chits are returned after each play so the balance is not disturbed, you don't run low on chits, and the mats take up less room on the table. You can see them in use in some of my solo campaign games here on the Anchorage. If you use a dry wipe marker it will clean off with baby wipes very easily. As we found out when one player used his own sharpie you need something like oven cleaner or Bar cleaner to get that off.

Rob.

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Andrew

I would like to say thank you to Diamondback for his work in finding other potential ships for the Ares Models Thanks to him Royal George will now be HMS Neptune 1797 i still plan to use Hibernia as Hibernia as she was a 1 off i think so now i can have a British 1st rate or a British 2nd rate i just love a 2 for 1 especially as they are now different classes I would especially like to thank Bligh those ships logs and card inserts are just what i need and i would not have a clue how to get them to look anything like that good Love them and Thank you again for taking the time and trouble to do them look forward to the rest no hurry as i have to paint the ships sails and masts yet not going to rig them beyond me i think i may have a go at using brush plastic bristles as the right colour flexible and only have to cut them to size and dab a bit of super glue to fix in position try on 1 of the amazon frigates i brought off Steves collectables for £6 not too much of an investment if it goes wrong or is not durable enough.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Andy, Hibernia was a cut-and-stretch copy of Ville de Paris, in turn a "cut and stretch" copy of either Royal Sovereign or Royal George (sources differ about which ship was used as a starting point) redesigned with enclosed stern galleries.

The Victory we have isn't quite right, SGN201 should be red to represent her before the 1805 rebuild while the color scheme it wears should be on an SGN108 to represent post-rebuild sailing off toward Trafalgar.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Bellerophon is on the stocks Andy. I have spare ship mats if you need them but not the chits. I can send them on if you PM me with your Snail mail.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Next installment.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I have copied and then laminated all of my ship logs.
    If you missing any further I can email to you, then just print , cut and insert
    Last edited by Capn Duff; 12-06-2020 at 13:50.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here are the final two ships Andrew.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob