Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Default 3D Coastline

https://sailsofglory.org/showthread....on-in-sequence

Following in your footsteps once again, Rob, I have begun cutting out foam pieces for doing coastline in 3D.

Name:  20201129_180112.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  135.8 KB

One thing that did occur to me was, how did you make the joints between pieces universal? Your coastline looks very cohesive.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Name:  20201130_182250.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  164.0 KB

After cutting them all out, I just had to get a feel for what it would look like. It's a lot of land. This is going to take a lot of supplies. More white glue and primer needed!

The bandsaw is a time saver isn't it? Anxious to see the progress on this Dobbs!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

My Bandsaw has finally given up the ghost after many years of service. For my last project I was reduced to using my scroll saw. i am now frantically saving up for a new Bandsaw.
    I started off the same way as you Dobbs, just with the copies of the official coastline and then went onto the forts. Then it was fitting historical forts with the existing terrain ends. One tip if I may. Once you have formed your first piece of landscape in 3D make a template of the end where it joins the next. i used a plastic offcut for this and marked it template on both sides so as not to discard it with the rubbish. Whatever the contour of the piece, as long as all the ends are the same shape you will be able to juxtapose any of them in whatever configureation you wish for. The square corner pieces are critical in this respect. Hope I'm not teaching my grandmother to suck eggs.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

The contour shaper was what I had in mind, too. I just didn't want to overlook a solution if I was missing something.

Name:  20201201_094339.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  217.2 KB

I found that my scroll saw with an omnidirectional blade was the ticket. The bandsaw did play a role, cutting the perpendicular straights where the pieces meet.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I like the adjustable throat on your Delta Dobbs. Mine is a bit more limited, and it is sometimes a bit of a juggle to get large bits of scenics through the gap.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Name:  20210104_083433.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  185.5 KB

The sod farm delivered today and now I have grass! Next up, a delivery of sand and rocks from the quarry...

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looks as if you have been truly grassed up Dobbs!

Rob.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

The way they currently look reminds me of a view of Dover from the Channel...

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

An instant gratification test.

Name:  20210104_131312.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  141.8 KB

I thought about making the cliffs white, Bill, but decided to go understated instead.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looking good Dobbs. Next the Fortifications.

Rob.

Looking good!

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    Looking good!
    I can't wait till we can use them together! Here's the latest developments:

Name:  20210105_164137.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  172.0 KB

Suzanne suggested blue felt as a playing surface. She thought it might be less slippery than vinyl. Initial reports are optimistic.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 01-05-2021 at 18:16.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You have a very nice bay there Dobbs. Felt sounds good to me. I am finding it harder to stop ships slipping when moving cards under them than I used to do, and bits can easily be cleaned off it with a Vac attatchment.

Rob.

That blue actually looks really good, like the water in the Caribbean. Nice shoreline Dobbs.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    That blue actually looks really good, like the water in the Caribbean. Nice shoreline Dobbs.
    Thanks, Vol! Suzanne and I picked it because it reminds us of sailing in the Caribbean. That's the color ocean should be!

Yes it is! I haven't been to the Caribbean for 50 years, but I have fond memories of it. I also have fond memories of the South Pacific islands. I believe Fiji's Yasawa islands are paradise on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    Thanks, Vol! Suzanne and I picked it because it reminds us of sailing in the Caribbean. That's the color ocean should be!
    Sure you don't want greenish brown colors of the Chesapeake?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Do you mean this sort of colour Eric?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    Sure you don't want greenish brown colors of the Chesapeake?
    That's why I feel so comfortable playing on the table on Grace with no mat. I feel it captures the color.

Name:  20201030_145426.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  128.7 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It did not look that bad when we were there as you can see from my photo!
    However I have seen estuaries looking just that muddy colour in spate, so that was quite an astute choice of table top Dobbs.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

You are right about the lower Chesapeake, Rob. The water down there almost looks like ocean water sometimes. 150 miles to the north, however, it has days when it looks like coffee with too much creamer!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

How far up are you Dobbs?
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    How far up are you Dobbs?
    Rob.
    I just saw this Rob. We're at the very top. You can see the mouth of the Susquehanna from our community beach. Where we are is really freshwater. Where you were in Virginia is basically ocean water.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Name:  20210124_210248.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  131.9 KB

Name:  20210124_210214.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  106.3 KB

I'm really happy with my progress so far. All that remains is adding shrubbery and maybe roads. I'm torn on roads, because if I have them go off a connecting edge, I have to have a road on each edge of every piece to keep them interchangeable.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Suggestion: Maybe consider drilling some small holes in the ends and installing small magnets to hold them together as tables get jostled?

As for roads, I wouldn't unless you're specifically mimicking Ares official pieces that do have them.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

For my coastal paths I have some wend their way off and on along the back, with the odd path or track running down to a cove for landing actions. The only ones with a defined edge route are for those which have to always be adjacent like the ones expanding to fit the harbour sections or where they fit in with a fortification. As mine go up to the backboard I don't join them with anything at their ends. The exception to this is for parts which obtrude into the playing area in more than one piece, where I put a removable dowel in the ends with a hole in the adjoining piece.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Suggestion: Maybe consider drilling some small holes in the ends and installing small magnets to hold them together as tables get jostled?

As for roads, I wouldn't unless you're specifically mimicking Ares official pieces that do have them.
    Hmmm, I like this magnet idea. I think I'll insert a magnet on the left of each piece and a screw on the right. That way I don't have to worry about polarity.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Should do the trick. I may even follow suit Dobbs. let me know how you fare.
    Rob.

Looks great!

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Hmmm, I like this magnet idea. I think I'll insert a magnet on the left of each piece and a screw on the right. That way I don't have to worry about polarity.
    Or epoxy a nut or washer in there, whatever gives a cheaper "cost per item."
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

If you can get washers with the smaller holes in them it gives a better area of attraction. A pair of magnets would be too strong when it came to disassembly. That may end up damaging your terain model.

Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Good work, Dobbs! Your coastline is looking great.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

I was looking for something else and came upon this. Excellent Dobbs it makes a huge difference to the table. I like the colour of your water, very Caribbean, much warmer than the Atlantic if my aged memory serves me right.

Name:  20210124_210248.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  131.9 KB

Name:  20210124_210214.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  106.3 KB

I'm really happy with my progress so far. All that remains is adding shrubbery and maybe roads. I'm torn on roads, because if I have them go off a connecting edge, I have to have a road on each edge of every piece to keep them interchangeable.
    Looking really good, Dobbs. Skipped the roads - strictly for landlubbers on which to get lost. But definitely go with the shrubbery - with a two-level effect - and maybe a path running down the middle but no roads.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    Looking really good, Dobbs. Skipped the roads - strictly for landlubbers on which to get lost. But definitely go with the shrubbery - with a two-level effect - and maybe a path running down the middle but no roads.
    A path, a path! (Monty Python)

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Attached Images Attached Images  

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Here's an interesting cascade of non sequiturs.

Name:  20210207_094348.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  87.8 KB

A few years back, I thought it might be fun to mass produce wooden Beyer Garrett locomotive toys.

Name:  20210207_094327.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  126.3 KB

Only a few were finished.

But I have plenty of magnets left over.

Name:  20210207_094404.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  162.0 KB

Name:  20210207_095238.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  156.3 KB
    Last edited by Dobbs; 02-09-2021 at 05:39.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I am impressed Dobbs.
    I will now be on a magnet hunt.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I have equipped my coastal pieces with magnets and screws and call it a success! The pieces don't "click" together, but the magnets definitely remind the terrain where it belongs in the event of a table jostle. I think installing the magnets and screws before painting is the better strategy. Because of the strength of the paint and sealing glue, my retrofitting tore the foam sometimes, though not to the point of loss.

For inserting the magnets, I used a 1/2" flat tip wood bore drill bit (as seen in my last post).
    Last edited by Dobbs; 02-09-2021 at 05:23.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thats OK Dobbs. I have one of those. A tip on preventing tear out. Before you drill stick a piece of masking tape over the spot and it will preserve your foam. I may even resort to using my Router for the ends.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Thats OK Dobbs. I have one of those. A tip on preventing tear out. Before you drill stick a piece of masking tape over the spot and it will preserve your foam. I may even resort to using my Router for the ends.

Rob.
    That's a really good tip, Rob! And thanks for the rep points!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You are welcome on both counts Dobbs. I had a look at some magnets this evening, and was wondering what strength you used? Enough to hold but not too strong to part easily. The ones I saw are all 1KG strength or more.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

You are welcome on both counts Dobbs. I had a look at some magnets this evening, and was wondering what strength you used? Enough to hold but not too strong to part easily. The ones I saw are all 1KG strength or more.

Rob.
    I honestly don't know how strong they are. I bought them because they were recommended for making wooden trains.

If you can't find anything you like, I could send you some.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for the offer Dobbs. I will keep that in mind.
    Rob.