Hybrid View

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

With another dexterous manoeuvre Hardman turned to Starboard across the stern of the Frigate, thus avoiding her reloaded guns.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Both Algerine ships were now caught sailing in the wrong direction and this was the time for Syren to slip away before the Dey could get any more of his fleet to sea. Not before another exchange with the rear guns of the Frigate, in which Syren’s gunners again proved their superiority even with a vastly depleted broadside.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The wind having suddenly veered for the first time during the encounter forced Syren into tacking as the Al Mukabir strove to gain the ascendency by turning to port herself.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It seemed as if the forced jibe had given Captain Hardman another lucky chance as he crossed the Al Mukabir’s stern and raked it. A lucky return shot from the Algerines stern chaser levelled the odds, however, by damaging the Syren’s steering.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

She veered off as Sailing Master Prentice issued orders to try and bring her back under control.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Fortunately neither Algerine ship was in any condition to make capital out of this mishap, and as Syren, jibed across the wind once more all three ships withdrew from the Frey heading for their respective ports to succour their wounds and repair their damage.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Captain Hardman had the satisfaction to know that he had his prize well on the way to a safe haven and had struck another blow against the stability of
    Kamel Mudanyaei’s regime.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The Butcher's Bill.

Syren got off with her prize very lightly against superior odds mainly by a couple of fortunate flukes, or as Captain Hardman put it in his report " By the superior handling skills and accurate gunnery of my crew."

Bligh.
    Last edited by Bligh; 01-04-2021 at 09:58.