Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 3D Ship Files / Kickstarter

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Henry

Well Rob, I'm happy to say we've worked out a way to get your ships to you. Thank you very much for your pledge :)

As for progress on the project as a whole, it's currently at 76% (about £1,000 to go) with just under two weeks remaining on the funding window.

I'm sure it goes without saying, but I'd be very grateful to anyone who does get behind the set. As I said, Kickstarter will refund any pledges for projects that fail to fund, so there's no risk involved for the backers at least. I personally won't see any of the money until a couple of weeks after a successful launch.

My goal is to get a ship finished every two weeks, with the core set being done for March. Stretch goals and additional accessories should keep me busy about a month after that. STL files will be sent out in batches (one for the RN, one for the Spanish and a final one containing stretch goals/accessories), while the physical models will be shipped all at once upon the project's completion.

I'm hoping the 1/1000 offerings will go down well :)

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks a lot Henry. I just hope we make the target.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Question... Still have the space dilemma, but at about ten bucks a ship sorely tempted on the 1/1000 pledge, assuming I can remember my KS login. Is it possible to add extra ship prints "a la carte," or would I need a full second set?
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That is how I felt DB, and with total control over the paint schemes, masts and a future source of 1,000 scale ships to which we can look forward.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Question... Still have the space dilemma, but at about ten bucks a ship sorely tempted on the 1/1000 pledge, assuming I can remember my KS login. Is it possible to add extra ship prints "a la carte," or would I need a full second set?
    You can feel free to PM me just what you're after and I can return you a quote, provided it's not too big an order (say, no more than 15~ ships max, please).

Then you can make a custom pledge and forward me your address and I'll send you a package when I fulfill the other physical orders :)

The custom pledge option is this one on top:
    Name:  c9YZWfE.png
Views: 634
Size:  8.1 KB

Otherwise, because of how Kickstarter works, you're just limited to the set rewards I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    That is how I felt DB, and with total control over the paint schemes, masts and a future source of 1,000 scale ships to which we can look forward.
    Rob.
    I admit that this is something that's put me off games with pre-painted miniatures such as Sails of Glory or X-Wing/Star Wars Armada. Could never shake the feeling that you're paying for a paintjob you might not even want :P

Do people not strip their miniatures and repaint them?

Though, and I apologise for the negativity, I think another issue I have is with how the sails have that solid big of plastic bonding them to the masts from behind, same with Oak & Iron stuff. While my ships can be printed with big chunky sails themselves, I'll personally be opting for paper ones on bare yardarms in my own collection.

Paper Sails Rule!

I spoke to Henry tonight. He says the KS is now only £700 away from being full funded. Here's hoping it succeeds!

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Thanks, Henry--cash flows would probably keep me limited to not more than ten SOL's at a time, MAYBE 15 on brigs or small fry.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I have pledged for a set of printed 1/1000 scale ships.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good news Dave. I just hope that Henry can meet his target. He is so close.
    Rob.

I am not really collecting at the moment (space issues) but I could certainly chip in for the .Stl files for later use. Of course looking at Henry's collections, those Gilded Age ships would be nice to have for my Oak & Iron fleet!

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    I have pledged for a set of printed 1/1000 scale ships.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    I am not really collecting at the moment (space issues) but I could certainly chip in for the .Stl files for later use. Of course looking at Henry's collections, those Gilded Age ships would be nice to have for my Oak & Iron fleet!
    I guess it goes without saying that I'd be exceedingly grateful and I have priced things so that there'd be savings on the files purchasing them now vs purchasing them later on WG3D.

At any rate, we're super close now!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

With eight days and only about £300 to go we could well make it Henry.
    Come on shipmates just a small pledge will help now.
    Rob.

Alright I am in for the Complete fleet set & bonus ships. Closer to the goal now.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Only £232 to go and 7 days left. Will we make it?
    Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Henry

Finished Christian VII! By which I mean her base model is done (though I noticed I hadn't added the lanterns; fixed that since). Now I just need to get her FDM and 1/1200 & 1/1000 sculpts fixed. Hope she'll be released in the next few days :)

Name:  lB3QOW9.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  56.9 KB

Name:  2PauwB6.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  100.2 KB

Name:  JBtv47C.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  70.7 KB

Name:  jY3isms.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  63.2 KB

Name:  c95HzBh.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  83.2 KB

Name:  Cv73mTa.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  98.0 KB

The Kickstarter's funding has paused the last two days at 93%. I'm confident we'll make it but I have to confess it's a bit of a tense finish!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Happy Christmas Henry. She looks just like a Norfolk Turkey. Bootiful!

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Alright! I'm onboard for the 1/1000 models.

Good luck to you, Henry! ...for my own selfish reasons...

I've been following your work since the Anglo-Dutch wars and wishing for your ships to appear in 1/1000 scale.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 12-24-2020 at 19:19.

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Henry

Happy Christmas Henry. She looks just like a Norfolk Turkey. Bootiful!

Rob.
    Thanks, Bligh! Looking forward to test printing and painting her :)

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    Alright! I'm onboard for the 1/1000 models.

Good luck to you, Henry! ...for my own selfish reasons...

I've been following your work since the Anglo-Dutch wars and wishing for your ships to appear in 1/1000 scale.
    Thanks, very kind of you! I saw the pledges kick up by one this morning and was very happy to do so :) I'm sure we'll get there!

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by HenryTurner View Post
    The Kickstarter's funding has paused the last two days at 93%. I'm confident we'll make it but I have to confess it's a bit of a tense finish!
    DM sent here, Henry! I don't have a Facebook account and am still trying to remember my KS login.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

We are now only £167 short of our goal chaps, lets get this over the finishing line. Three more £55 pledges would do it.
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

The Christian looks really nice, here is hoping we cross the line

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

If Henry gets back to me with a quote in time, and I sort out my KS login in time, I'm going to be on for at least £50 for the 1/1000 set or a cherry-picked dozen I expect Ares will never do...

4 each Canada and Ganges (statistically similar to Bellona, so I expect Ares to slipstream with SGN104)
    3 San Joses (statistically near identical and structurally very close, I've proposed that Ares slipstream the Purisima Concepcions as an SGN111 to give us HMS San Josef/HMS Salvador del Mundo)
    1 Victory (three-way swap; my existing Britannia gets new paper as 1810 Boyne or similar, 201 Victory gets Britannia's paper and Henry's Victory gets the correct 1760s-80s red scheme)

Would a 3/8" diameter magnet fit between the hull sides on these? I was looking for old 1/4" neodymiums like they had when I was a kid, but they don't seem to be made anymore... thinking two magnets and two washers would be a foolproof, no-cutting attachment method.
    Last edited by Diamondback; 12-25-2020 at 19:11.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

For your magnets, DM, try Mcmaster Carr. Just type that in to your search engine and then go to magnets. They have 1/4" and smaller.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Will do, Dobbs; alternate option is mount the magnets in the base and use 1/4" hex-nuts in the ship. Challenge is getting a combo that'll stick even with 1/8" of plastic in the middle...

Funny thing... IIRC one of my gunsmith buddies said he gets his roll-pins and coil-springs through McMaster-Carr rather than the ripoff gunsmith-supply houses want for common industrial parts.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Only £122 to go! This is going down to the wire. All we need is a couple more £55 benefactors and I'll donate the last few squid.

Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Henry quoted me 74.04, I rounded it to an even 75 in the spirit of getting this ship shoved down the ways. :)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Henry quoted me 74.04, I rounded it to an even 75 in the spirit of getting this ship shoved down the ways. :)
    You've practically put him over the top then. I think he needs less than $50 to clear the hurdle. I just saw his 3D print of the Christian VII. It's amazing!!
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

According to latest update, we've done it! £500 to get Diadem... if we get close enough for two 1/1000's of that to push it over the top I'll do that too.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Congratulations shipmates. We just got our ships off the stocks with four days to spare. Let's hope the certainty of procuction now brings in a last minute flood of further pledges.

Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Hurrah looks like we now maybe need to discuss stats for the Canada class ect

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

According to latest update, we've done it! £500 to get Diadem... if we get close enough for two 1/1000's of that to push it over the top I'll do that too.
    Fantastic news!!
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Congratulations shipmates. We just got our ships off the stocks with four days to spare. Let's hope the certainty of procuction now brings in a last minute flood of further pledges.

Rob.
    That would be nice especially as he has some additional ships as 'bonus' content should the money reach those KS benchmarks.
    –English Proverb

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    My expectation is Ares would just slipstream them into SGN104. Might be some changes in the wind arcs on the base-insert, but the differences are more visual than statistical IIRC.

In burthen terns, the Slade Common family based on L'Invincible range from 1546 (1757 Dublin) to 1659 (1776 Culloden) tons, Canada is 1632 and Ganges 1656. So both are 5x10, Gunnery will be similar too. Ganges-class Minden maybe one extra box for her teak hull.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Update: £210 to Diadem! Actually more like 195 if Henry's agreeable to adding two Diadems and a fifth Ganges to my bundle...

Oh crap! Just realized I forgot to ask about masts and sails...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

£4,885... 115 to Diomede, less if Henry can do masts and sails which I completely choked on. Kicktraq projecting a final of £5374, 126 shy of Nepomuceno. (Which when he gets to I'll need at least four of as correction kits on SGN112...)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    Right Chris.
    Something to do on these dank dark days of midwinter.
    Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Henry

I'm very happy with how things are progressing! Just pulled a trigger on the FB ads and we'll see how far they get us on the last days. But it looks like we might be seeing an upswing as people are more confident the product'll actually get made :D I also think KS is more likely to display a campaign that's ending soon, so there's that.

£4,885... 115 to Diomede, less if Henry can do masts and sails which I completely choked on. Kicktraq projecting a final of £5374, 126 shy of Nepomuceno. (Which when he gets to I'll need at least four of as correction kits on SGN112...)
    I'll get back to you via PMs :) Sorry, I've been inactive the last two days as I've been embroiled with my erstwhile employer!

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Well, with my latest revision, we have Diadem! 490 to get Nepomuceno.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I'll have to go check my pledge now to see how masts and sails might be impacted; one way or the other.
    –English Proverb

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I signed up for the core set of 1/1000 printed ships. I assumed that they came with masts and sails. Does anyone know if this is true?

I don't quite follow the stretch goals. Am I eligible for those?

Also, Henry mentions that the models have an option of holes for rigging. I hope that means that they can come with no holes, as I don't rig my fleet.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 12-28-2020 at 09:36.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I signed up for the core set of 1/1000 printed ships. I assumed that they came with masts and sails. Does anyone know if this is true?

Also, Henry mentions that the models have an option of holes for rigging. I hope that means that they can come with no holes, as I don't rig my fleet.
    I'm signed up for the 1/1000 too and having just looked at the original pledge level I didn't see anything about sails and masts? As for the stretch goals I'm not sure how those work either as this Kickstarter is a bit different from those I'm most familiar with. In most Kickstarter's the higher levels (read more money) usually include any and all contents of the lower levels, but often the stretch goals go to everyone who's committed to a certain level amount? Henry's KS has more independent parts so I don't know how he'll work it?
    –English Proverb

I am very happy for you all! I love the enthusiasm and excitement I am reading. Henry's Hulls are truly pieces of art and I know you will be pleased.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Right now for FDM masts, Henry's quoted me 2GBP/set, sails we'll work out later--he did say that he likes to do more finescale work while his mentor Simon likes more durable "game grade." At this point my pledge is at 120 for fifteen ships and mast sets including shipping, if we hit the Nepomuceno stretch I may talk about a second box with those to ship separately. (Didn't need the full 1/1000 Pledge because at this point I'm mainly trying to use Henry's models as "correction kits" for Ares releases, so he was kind enough to let me do a "Custom Mix" of just sculpts that fit there.)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

No idea if Chris put us in for the sails or not. I will just go with whatever he has done.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I'm also making the wildly optimistic assumption that my hands will stay steady long enough for me to paint hulls, seat masts and mount sails.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    I'm signed up for the 1/1000 too and having just looked at the original pledge level I didn't see anything about sails and masts? As for the stretch goals I'm not sure how those work either as this Kickstarter is a bit different from those I'm most familiar with. In most Kickstarter's the higher levels (read more money) usually include any and all contents of the lower levels, but often the stretch goals go to everyone who's committed to a certain level amount? Henry's KS has more independent parts so I don't know how he'll work it?
    They are included in the .stl files. Not sure if you ordered a printed set whether you also get the files? Luckily I know someone with a high end printer, so I only got the sets of .stl files. Of course it may be awhile before I see him.

Anyway happy to see the project funded. Cheers for Henry.

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Henry

Well, with my latest revision, we have Diadem! 490 to get Nepomuceno.
    Indeed we do :) Very happy as I'd been dying for an excuse to model a 64 for a while now!

This is all very contingent on how well my tests go with getting sails/masts to work at this scale. I hadn't offered masts with the 1/700 ships simply because, on my FDM machine, printing five lots of masts for seven ships would take several days of constant printing. However, for the smaller vessels, I may well include them on request but, again, it's all contingent on how well the sculpting goes - I've never tried to make sails/masts for such small ships on an FDM machine before. However I imagine I should at the very least manage some basic yards/arms.

I wanted to investigate getting fine resin sails that could "clip" on to bare yardarms too, but I'd have to charge for those I think as they'd be a lot more trouble to print.

After January 1st I'll get in touch with everyone asking them about specific options, including rigging holes :) Really that'll be the only option for 1/1000, but I'll be asking 1/700 customers if they want the "chunky" sculpts or to have the ship based (I'll be refusing to ship any unbased "fine detail" models as it'll allow me to secure the models better so they survive shipping).

About stretch goals - I'm afraid they're only supplied for the STL packages, not the physical sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Henry's Hulls.
    Good Lord, you should've been my marketing man!

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Henry, an idea for you: Do you think it might be possible to do a "long shaft" mast and deeper mast socket so that even if a mast isn't glued in it's likely to stay put and vertical unless deliberately removed? Since I don't rig my ships, I'm thinking of a combination of "battle damage" options and knockdown for ease of transport in my current storage system.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB