Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 3D Ship Files / Kickstarter

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Which Courageux? Do you mean the 1761 French ship that was evolved into Carnatic, Blake and Armada, or the 1800 Henslow/Rule-family one-off named after her but no engineering relationship?
    Or the 1806 Téméraire class 74 Courageux? I have the one Henry did but I don't know which it is Name:  20201130_202800.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  86.7 KB

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Which Courageux? Do you mean the 1761 French ship that was evolved into Carnatic, Blake and Armada, or the 1800 Henslow/Rule-family one-off named after her but no engineering relationship?
    I was meaning the original, gives a French ship plus we can use for Carnatic class giving us Minator etc, that was my thinking at least

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

On the subject of 3D printing can anyone recommend a 'print on demand' 3D Print Service in North America? I see any number of folks on Etsy offering this as a service, but getting a recommendation here would be preferable. Thanks in advance.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Henry's sculpt is the original 1750s Geoffroy design and her British progeny.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Well have bit the bullet, here is now hoping it makes the target

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

How hard did you bite Chris? I'm thinking about it too.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I pledged for the stl files for the 1/1000 scale, £45

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Excuse my ignorance Chris but does this mean we actually get the physical printed version or just the facility to get them printed?
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Excuse my ignorance Chris but does this mean we actually get the physical printed version or just the facility to get them printed?
    Rob.
    Henry went ahead and created a separate 'print run' option for the 1/1000 scale. If the Kickstarter page is up to date no one has pledged for this currently (only five slots offered). The stl files for 1/1000 are in another category. As I have no access to a 3D printer for quality resin reproduction I'm waffling on going for the 1/1000 print option, which would be around $67 US.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just tried to sign up for the KS but far too much info required for me to comprehend. I thought it would be the same as the Ares Ks in format but got bogged down in the sertais and small print. With my failing eyesight I can't manage this any more.
    Thanks for the help anyway Jim. if i had got on I would have taken your option.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Just tried to sign up for the KS but far too much info required for me to comprehend. I thought it would be the same as the Ares Ks in format but got bogged down in the sertais and small print. With my failing eyesight I can't manage this any more.
    Rob.
    Well, that's unfortunate? If I proceed with this and am successful I'll see if I can share any info that will help you out?
    –English Proverb

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Sorry you not getting through the ks Rob, not quite sure why.
    As already been said, there is an option to buy the already printed versions, I will pm you tomorrow ref this.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Cheers Chris.
    Rob.

Just a quick observation. I was just on Henry's Kickstarter and saw there are zero pledges for the 1/1000 scale ships. Henry added the scale for this group. I am really surprised there have been no takers. Just a reminder the deadline for this KS is the end of this month.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Just a quick observation. I was just on Henry's Kickstarter and saw there are zero pledges for the 1/1000 scale ships. Henry added the scale for this group. I am really surprised there have been no takers. Just a reminder the deadline for this KS is the end of this month.
    I've been waffling about it Vol. I know Rob was serious about it, but he had issues with Kickstarter's procedures, etc. It's on my calendar for sure, and I won't forget.
    –English Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    We can hope so Jim. I know my interest in the Continental "Navy" is pretty high! Several of my scratch builds are Continental ships because there just aren't that many being manufactured.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    I've been waffling about it Vol. I know Rob was serious about it, but he had issues with Kickstarter's procedures, etc. It's on my calendar for sure, and I won't forget.
    Ok Jim, I'm just a little surprised is all. I had always believed the Sails of Glory fans were always wishing there was another source of 1/1000 scale hulls out there to add to the game. If this KS isn't funded, I doubt he will try this scale again. There appears to be more demand for the 1/1200, 1/700, and 1/600 scales.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

As of right now, Henry has 1612GBP to raise in 15 days. I don't know where I'd fit even one of them in my already overloaded-thanks-to-Old-Packrat studio to do a set, but all five of the 1/1000 sets selling would only get him 250GBP closer, around 1/7 of the way to goal.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Cptn Duff has kindly offered to deal with my problem from his end, so I'd better get my skates on.
    Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Henry

Hey everyone!

I'm sorry to have been so quiet - I'd thought i had configured email notifications for reply to this thread, but didn't receive any - I'd assumed there hadn't been further activity! I'll set myself a notification to check back here manually every couple of days lest I leave you too long without any information, sorry again.

I'll go through the replies here and see if I can be of any help/illumination :)

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    Just a question for Henry, have you already made a file for the Courageux, if so will this be made available in our scale?
    I would be looking to get a few copies of this ship for HMS Minotaur, Leviathan and Colosus
    So this sort of fills in with a broader category concerning my work; namely that, as I've made more ships, I've got better at what I've done. I've been kicking around the idea of "remaster" projects for yonks now - going back and reworking my ships to bring them up to my current standards. Unfortunately my experiences so far have been that once a model has been updated I don't really see any further sales or uptake: My assumption being that either the people who'd wanted such a model had already bought it or that people just weren't interested with the introduction of resin sculpts (to name one example - all my initial ships were FDM-friendly but had no resin sculpts, some have had new ones added now).

With regards to my experiences with 1/1200, I've sold perhaps three packs of the ships I converted to that scale.

So to go back and either convert my entire range to 1/1000 or otherwise remaster the ships, I've decided, would have to be done as part of another Kickstarter (with a more modest budget than the current one, of course), that'd work out to paying myself minimum wage for the expected time necessary to apply updates. I'm sorry if that's a disappointing answer, but it's the only means I can think of to make sure I get some compensation for the time I'd use (which would have to be taken from making new things). So far I've not sold any of the 1/1000 sets yet so you might see why I'm unsure as to how pronounced any potential interest might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    On the subject of 3D printing can anyone recommend a 'print on demand' 3D Print Service in North America? I see any number of folks on Etsy offering this as a service, but getting a recommendation here would be preferable. Thanks in advance.
    I wish I could be of help here; all I can say is that I used to be on Shapeways but have since taken my models down from there, as I believe their prices "take the piss a tad," as the kids might say ;)
    I'm actively looking for companies to sell commercial licences to, though.

She is the Courageux on which the Carnatic-class was, I believe, based. It's a dual kit with options for printing her either in her original French configuration or under RN service.

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    I pledged for the stl files for the 1/1000 scale, £45
    Thank you very much, sir :)

Rob.
    I have to apologise to people as I've received consistent feedback that the language used on the Kickstarter was much too obfuscated. Unfortuantely, now that people have pledged, I can't edit the text of the reward tiers.

But as a general rule of thumb, anything that doesn't feature the word "printed" in the title (be they reward tiers or reward items) is for an *STL File Only*

Rob.
    Sorry to hear that, Rob :/ As far as I know, there's nothing that should make the process to sign up any distinct from that of another Kickstarter. Is there anything I can help with?

As of right now, Henry has 1612GBP to raise in 15 days. I don't know where I'd fit even one of them in my already overloaded-thanks-to-Old-Packrat studio to do a set, but all five of the 1/1000 sets selling would only get him 250GBP closer, around 1/7 of the way to goal.
    While I'll admit that I'm not 100% confident it'll fund (I'd say I'm about 80% sure at the moment), and we probably won't get all the stretch goals, I might point out that the other two Kickstarters I started had a bit of a "surge" in the last week, as I assume Kickstarter makes them appear higher in search results.

For what it's worth, now that I've finished my few weeks' preparation for a potential career at sea (and I got an interview, yay!), I'm able to 100% dedicate my free time to all this once again. I've started things off by adding a new reward tier which offers every ship I've ever made at a 66% discount, in addition to all the Kickstarters (the latter being at their nominal price). I've rather cynically taken advantage of Vol's lovely take on HMS Captain, which I've posted around ;)

I'll be following up over the next few days posting everywhere I can, including offering updates about my work. I'll be purchasing Facebook ads during the last week and if, during the last 5 days, we're still not close to the goal I will offer more printed sets (though I really want to avoid that if I can as it's quite the logistical nightmare). Suffice to say, I will be working my socks off to pull out every necessary measure to get us over the finish line :) My previous Kickstarters have had 60-80 people get behind them, if memory serves, so I am hoping for a final rally. I think perhaps people might've been a bit more tepid about supporting this as A. The Budget is quite high (it's worked out at paying me minimum wage for 3 months' full time work) and B. My previous absence from the hobby/occasional absences during the KS process might have people understandably worried.

At any rate, on the subject of what I'm up to now; here's literally what I am doing at this moment... preparing the Danish Christian VII (her 1766 version, I've already created the later second rate) for my Patreon patrons, which they will have the option of receiving for free by way of apology for my absence/thanks for their continued support :)

I will make sure she has the features I've promised for the new Kickstarter, so she can serve as a "demo ship" of sorts. I'll offer a 1/1000 option too. She should be ready by the end of the month, all things going as planned!

Name:  OMgML5b.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  92.2 KB

By the way, if I might somewhat self-interestedly point something out - with Kickstarters, you aren't actually committed to parting with your money unless the project actually funds. You can back a project (and I believe KS may well take the money from you), but the project only actually receives its funding if it meets its goal. Therefore, should you back the Cape St Vincent and it still fail nonetheless, your money will be returned to you by Kickstarter themselves. In the event of successful funding, I get paid about two weeks later. So it's really not too risky a prospect assuming you don't mind parting with your money for up to a month :)

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hi Henry.
    I hope you saw my post made just before yours.
    I have now Pmed Chris with a message to go ahead if he will, so another £50 should soon be in the funds.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

On the problem you are having getting mail shots, I have also lost all notifications about two weeks ago from both here and the Drome. My techi can't find anything at my end to suggest why, after a decade, suddenly no mail from either site, so I am also forced to check each day and also look for new members signing on, instead of getting an automatic notification.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 12-16-2020 at 09:12.

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Henry

Hi Henry.
    I hope you saw my post made just before yours.
    I have now Pmed Chris with a message to go ahead if he will, so another £50 should soon be in the funds.
    Rob.
    That's very kind of you, thank you :)

Regarding the mail; no worries, it's not that hard to just check back every so often. I just hadn't been aware of the problem!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Just pledged for the 1/1000 print level. Good luck with the remainder of your campaign, Henry.
    –English Proverb

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Henry

Well Rob, I'm happy to say we've worked out a way to get your ships to you. Thank you very much for your pledge :)

As for progress on the project as a whole, it's currently at 76% (about £1,000 to go) with just under two weeks remaining on the funding window.

I'm sure it goes without saying, but I'd be very grateful to anyone who does get behind the set. As I said, Kickstarter will refund any pledges for projects that fail to fund, so there's no risk involved for the backers at least. I personally won't see any of the money until a couple of weeks after a successful launch.

My goal is to get a ship finished every two weeks, with the core set being done for March. Stretch goals and additional accessories should keep me busy about a month after that. STL files will be sent out in batches (one for the RN, one for the Spanish and a final one containing stretch goals/accessories), while the physical models will be shipped all at once upon the project's completion.

I'm hoping the 1/1000 offerings will go down well :)

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks a lot Henry. I just hope we make the target.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Question... Still have the space dilemma, but at about ten bucks a ship sorely tempted on the 1/1000 pledge, assuming I can remember my KS login. Is it possible to add extra ship prints "a la carte," or would I need a full second set?
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That is how I felt DB, and with total control over the paint schemes, masts and a future source of 1,000 scale ships to which we can look forward.
    Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Henry

Question... Still have the space dilemma, but at about ten bucks a ship sorely tempted on the 1/1000 pledge, assuming I can remember my KS login. Is it possible to add extra ship prints "a la carte," or would I need a full second set?
    You can feel free to PM me just what you're after and I can return you a quote, provided it's not too big an order (say, no more than 15~ ships max, please).

Then you can make a custom pledge and forward me your address and I'll send you a package when I fulfill the other physical orders :)

The custom pledge option is this one on top:
    Name:  c9YZWfE.png
Views: 814
Size:  8.1 KB

Otherwise, because of how Kickstarter works, you're just limited to the set rewards I'm afraid.

That is how I felt DB, and with total control over the paint schemes, masts and a future source of 1,000 scale ships to which we can look forward.
    Rob.
    I admit that this is something that's put me off games with pre-painted miniatures such as Sails of Glory or X-Wing/Star Wars Armada. Could never shake the feeling that you're paying for a paintjob you might not even want :P

Do people not strip their miniatures and repaint them?

Though, and I apologise for the negativity, I think another issue I have is with how the sails have that solid big of plastic bonding them to the masts from behind, same with Oak & Iron stuff. While my ships can be printed with big chunky sails themselves, I'll personally be opting for paper ones on bare yardarms in my own collection.

Paper Sails Rule!

I spoke to Henry tonight. He says the KS is now only £700 away from being full funded. Here's hoping it succeeds!

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Thanks, Henry--cash flows would probably keep me limited to not more than ten SOL's at a time, MAYBE 15 on brigs or small fry.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I have pledged for a set of printed 1/1000 scale ships.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good news Dave. I just hope that Henry can meet his target. He is so close.
    Rob.

I am not really collecting at the moment (space issues) but I could certainly chip in for the .Stl files for later use. Of course looking at Henry's collections, those Gilded Age ships would be nice to have for my Oak & Iron fleet!

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    I have pledged for a set of printed 1/1000 scale ships.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    I am not really collecting at the moment (space issues) but I could certainly chip in for the .Stl files for later use. Of course looking at Henry's collections, those Gilded Age ships would be nice to have for my Oak & Iron fleet!
    I guess it goes without saying that I'd be exceedingly grateful and I have priced things so that there'd be savings on the files purchasing them now vs purchasing them later on WG3D.

At any rate, we're super close now!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

With eight days and only about £300 to go we could well make it Henry.
    Come on shipmates just a small pledge will help now.
    Rob.

Alright I am in for the Complete fleet set & bonus ships. Closer to the goal now.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Only £232 to go and 7 days left. Will we make it?
    Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Henry

Finished Christian VII! By which I mean her base model is done (though I noticed I hadn't added the lanterns; fixed that since). Now I just need to get her FDM and 1/1200 & 1/1000 sculpts fixed. Hope she'll be released in the next few days :)

Name:  lB3QOW9.jpg
Views: 729
Size:  56.9 KB

Name:  2PauwB6.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  100.2 KB

Name:  JBtv47C.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  70.7 KB

Name:  jY3isms.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  63.2 KB

Name:  c95HzBh.jpg
Views: 790
Size:  83.2 KB

Name:  Cv73mTa.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  98.0 KB

The Kickstarter's funding has paused the last two days at 93%. I'm confident we'll make it but I have to confess it's a bit of a tense finish!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Happy Christmas Henry. She looks just like a Norfolk Turkey. Bootiful!

Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Henry

Happy Christmas Henry. She looks just like a Norfolk Turkey. Bootiful!

Rob.
    Thanks, Bligh! Looking forward to test printing and painting her :)

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    Alright! I'm onboard for the 1/1000 models.

Good luck to you, Henry! ...for my own selfish reasons...

I've been following your work since the Anglo-Dutch wars and wishing for your ships to appear in 1/1000 scale.
    Thanks, very kind of you! I saw the pledges kick up by one this morning and was very happy to do so :) I'm sure we'll get there!

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by HenryTurner View Post
    The Kickstarter's funding has paused the last two days at 93%. I'm confident we'll make it but I have to confess it's a bit of a tense finish!
    DM sent here, Henry! I don't have a Facebook account and am still trying to remember my KS login.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Alright! I'm onboard for the 1/1000 models.

Good luck to you, Henry! ...for my own selfish reasons...

I've been following your work since the Anglo-Dutch wars and wishing for your ships to appear in 1/1000 scale.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 12-24-2020 at 19:19.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

The Christian looks really nice, here is hoping we cross the line

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

If Henry gets back to me with a quote in time, and I sort out my KS login in time, I'm going to be on for at least £50 for the 1/1000 set or a cherry-picked dozen I expect Ares will never do...

4 each Canada and Ganges (statistically similar to Bellona, so I expect Ares to slipstream with SGN104)
    3 San Joses (statistically near identical and structurally very close, I've proposed that Ares slipstream the Purisima Concepcions as an SGN111 to give us HMS San Josef/HMS Salvador del Mundo)
    1 Victory (three-way swap; my existing Britannia gets new paper as 1810 Boyne or similar, 201 Victory gets Britannia's paper and Henry's Victory gets the correct 1760s-80s red scheme)

Would a 3/8" diameter magnet fit between the hull sides on these? I was looking for old 1/4" neodymiums like they had when I was a kid, but they don't seem to be made anymore... thinking two magnets and two washers would be a foolproof, no-cutting attachment method.
    Last edited by Diamondback; 12-25-2020 at 19:11.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

For your magnets, DM, try Mcmaster Carr. Just type that in to your search engine and then go to magnets. They have 1/4" and smaller.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Will do, Dobbs; alternate option is mount the magnets in the base and use 1/4" hex-nuts in the ship. Challenge is getting a combo that'll stick even with 1/8" of plastic in the middle...

Funny thing... IIRC one of my gunsmith buddies said he gets his roll-pins and coil-springs through McMaster-Carr rather than the ripoff gunsmith-supply houses want for common industrial parts.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Henry quoted me 74.04, I rounded it to an even 75 in the spirit of getting this ship shoved down the ways. :)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Henry quoted me 74.04, I rounded it to an even 75 in the spirit of getting this ship shoved down the ways. :)
    You've practically put him over the top then. I think he needs less than $50 to clear the hurdle. I just saw his 3D print of the Christian VII. It's amazing!!
    –English Proverb

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB