Thread: 3D Ship Files / Kickstarter

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Default 3D Ship Files / Kickstarter

I'm fairly sure someone has linked this previously, but I could not track down the thread. A newer Kickstarter with 3D files and some printed ship options (only 1 left I believe). I rather like the idea that the creator is going to focus on specific battles for future runs. Files can be changed for scale, but he's offering 1/700 and 1/1200 initially.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-at-st-vincent
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Good idea, but a big basic fact error undermines his cred--San Juan Nepomuceno became HMS San Juan and a harbor ship at Gibraltar, neither Berwick nor part of the battle-line.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Good idea, but a big basic fact error undermines his cred--San Juan Nepomuceno became HMS San Juan and a harbor ship at Gibraltar, neither Berwick nor part of the battle-line.
    This was posted on The Miniatures Page. If you're not there DB I'm sure someone will point this out to him? I'd pass your message on, but I don't post anywhere except here and that's very rarely nowadays.
    –English Proverb

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    This was posted on The Miniatures Page. If you're not there DB I'm sure someone will point this out to him? I'd pass your message on, but I don't post anywhere except here and that's very rarely nowadays.
    I'm not on TMP, and I get where you're coming from--you and many of the other Early Days members are conspicuous in the reduced activity, and missed.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Indeed they are DB, and I feel very bad about this, as we are all working hard to keep the interest going, and I feel that I must be missing a trick somewhere along the line.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Indeed they are DB, and I feel very bad about this, as we are all working hard to keep the interest going, and I feel that I must be missing a trick somewhere along the line.
    Rob.

I think we need more pictures of us playing the game. Game related things are fascinating, but my bet is that pictures of games will beget pictures and more interest.

As an aside, I am interested in dabbling in 3dD printing ships. Does anyone have any recommendations on free 3D software that I could experiment with? It seems like there's a bit out there, but I have no background to judge.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    I think we need more pictures of us playing the game. Game related things are fascinating, but my bet is that pictures of games will beget pictures and more interest.

As an aside, I am interested in dabbling in 3dD printing ships. Does anyone have any recommendations on free 3D software that I could experiment with? It seems like there's a bit out there, but I have no background to judge.
    While I have no experience with Blender I know of some folks who have supported them for years. Blender is definitely free and covers modeling and printing, with tutorials, etc. Here's their main website.

https://www.blender.org/
    –English Proverb

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

It is a pity that those Kickstarter ships are not in 1/1000th scale to make them suitable for Sails of Glory.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

They are 3d models so they can be scaled to 1/700 in a slicer programme that prepares the models for printing. I have scaled quite a few 1/700 models to 1/1000 and they come out fine.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I don't see that as a threat to his credibility given that the thrust of the Kickstarter is in the models, which are exquisite, and because he is correct. The ship was renamed HMS Berwick for a short time, before "reverting" in a sense to HMS San Juan
    Last edited by David Manley; 11-25-2020 at 03:16.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I fully agree Dobbs, but my efforts to get people taking part in the Campaign over the past two years has met with singular failure, even though several shipmates got as far as producing their squadrons.
    That is why my latest AAR has been made in the general AAR section, but has as yet drawn not a single comment. At least I can save myself the task of thinking up and producing a new scenario every couple of months which nobody plays.
    I know Covid has curtailed games at clubs, but you and I are the only recent game posters.
    Still we can carry on and see if it achieves any renewd interest amongst our old and very valued lapsed shipmates, or have they just all retired to open Taverns with their prize money?
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I do like the look of those Henry Turner models. I only wish that he had more of the 18th cent Dutch ships available which could be reduced to 1,000th.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I fully agree Dobbs, but my efforts to get people taking part in the Campaign over the past two years has met with singular failure, even though several shipmates got as far as producing their squadrons.
    That is why my latest AAR has been made in the general AAR section, but has as yet drawn not a single comment. At least I can save myself the task of thinking up and producing a new scenario every couple of months which nobody plays.
    I know Covid has curtailed games at clubs, but you and I are the only recent game posters.
    Still we can carry on and see if it achieves any renewd interest amongst our old and very valued lapsed shipmates, or have they just all retired to open Taverns with their prize money?
    Rob.
    I enjoyed reading through your AAR, but as stated above my motivation to post anywhere has been somewhat curtailed for any number of reasons. I'll see what I can do to rectify this.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I do like the look of those Henry Turner models. I only wish that he had more of the 18th cent Dutch ships available which could be reduced to 1,000th.
    Rob.
    "Henry Turner" has quite a few ships available on Wargaming 3D. Here's his link. I do believe one of his runs involved Dutch ships and I see a Dutch Pinnace on his 3D page.

https://www.wargaming3d.com/vendor/henryturner/
    Last edited by Nightmoss; 11-25-2020 at 09:06. Reason: typo
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I enjoyed reading through your AAR, but as stated above my motivation to post anywhere has been somewhat curtailed for any number of reasons. I'll see what I can do to rectify this.
    That would be great Jim, but don't feel obliged to do so. I was not pointing a finger at antone simply wondering why so many of you old shipmates had not posted for a long time. It seems much harder to engender posts here than on the Drome which more or less runs itself now, weras here it seems as if we are struggling to get any posts at all on some days, and usually more posts beget more posts. It makes me wonder if I am pitching it in the right direction, and Dobb's comment about AAR's is certainly something I intend to take onboard and hope that it will encourage others to follow suit.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

"Henry Turner" has quite a few ships available on Wargaming 3D. Here's his link. I do believe one of his runs involved Dutch ships and I see a Dutch Pinnace on his 3D page.

https://www.wargaming3d.com/vendor/henryturner/
    Again thanks Jim. I had looked there, but all the Dutch ships barring two are a bit too early for my needs, despite the superb models. I am looking towards Camperdown. It is the only battle where Bligh actually shone.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Again thanks Jim. I had looked there, but all the Dutch ships barring two are a bit too early for my needs, despite the superb models. I am looking towards Camperdown. It is the only battle where Bligh actually shone.
    Rob.
    Ah, that would be HMS Director then? Turner may yet get to this particular battle? He was very active on Facebook, but I've not ventured there for over 3 months so it's an unknown where he might be putting future energy on future proje
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    –English Proverb

Dobbs, there are some free 3D STL files available on Wargame Vault. In addition both Henry Turner and Simon Mann have free ship files available on the Wargaming3D store site https://www.wargaming3d.com/vendor/henryturner/ and
    https://www.wargaming3d.com/vendor/simon-mann/

I just recieved this order from Henry
    Name:  20201124_212001.jpg
Views: 1887
Size:  142.0 KB
    Name:  Henry Turner order.jpg
Views: 1907
Size:  117.3 KB

We ended up substituting a Canada class for the Elizabeth class and he threw in an extra Porcupine class (Pandora) hull. There was a little damage in shipping, a few knocked off lanterns and catheads, but pretty good overall considering the delicate detail on these ships.
    Last edited by Volunteer; 11-25-2020 at 13:45.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looks a jolly good deal to me Vol. Can't wait to see what you do with them.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    I just recieved this order from Henry
    Name:  20201124_212001.jpg
Views: 1887
Size:  142.0 KB
    Name:  Henry Turner order.jpg
Views: 1907
Size:  117.3 KB

We ended up substituting a Canada class for the Elizabeth class and he threw in an extra Porcupine class (Pandora) hull. There was a little damage in shipping, a few knocked off lanterns and catheads, but pretty good overall considering the delicate detail on these ships.
    Nice haul there Vol. How soon will we see finished ship photos?

I wonder if Henry could be enticed into producing some Great Lakes ships for the War of 1812? His focus on 1/700 scale should work pretty well for the smaller ships don't you think?
    –English Proverb

Nice haul there Vol. How soon will we see finished ship photos?

I wonder if Henry could be enticed into producing some Great Lakes ships for the War of 1812? His focus on 1/700 scale should work pretty well for the smaller ships don't you think?
    I just asked him Jim, I'll let you know what he says.

As for when to expect photos.....
    Well ever since I developed this allergy to cyanoacrylate super glue, the joy of ship building has diminished somewhat. I have to where an organic vapor respirator that sort of ruins the fun and spontaneity I once enjoyed. I have tried several other glue products without satisfaction. I will get them done, but it may not be quick.Name:  20201125_161445.jpg
Views: 1999
Size:  125.4 KB

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I just asked him Jim, I'll let you know what he says.

As for when to expect photos.....
    Well ever since I developed this allergy to cyanoacrylate super glue, the joy of ship building has diminished somewhat. I have to where an organic vapor respirator that sort of ruins the fun and spontaneity I once enjoyed. I have tried several other glue products without satisfaction. I will get them done, but it may not be quick.Name:  20201125_161445.jpg
Views: 1999
Size:  125.4 KB
    Oh my gosh, Vol!? That's pretty depressing and sounds very similar to what's happened to Rob? I don't suppose there's anyway you can 'outsource' the gluing parts to someone else? I know you create your own masts, but are you soldering them or is gluing involved there too?

Thanks for asking Henry about the Great Lakes ships. It's something that has been brought up here several times in the past.
    –English Proverb

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    I don't see that as a threat to his credibility given that the thrust of the Kickstarter is in the models, which are exquisite, and because he is correct. The ship was renamed HMS Berwick for a short time, before "reverting" in a sense to HMS San Juan
    The models themselves are exquisite. If he did 'em in 1/1000 and we had a supply source for masts without chopping Ares ships I'd be tempted.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Oh my gosh, Vol!? That's pretty depressing and sounds very similar to what's happened to Rob? I don't suppose there's anyway you can 'outsource' the gluing parts to someone else? I know you create your own masts, but are you soldering them or is gluing involved there too?

Thanks for asking Henry about the Great Lakes ships. It's something that has been brought up here several times in the past.
    Oh yeah, I use glue and thread for the masts, no solder. And I use glue for the ratlines, and the spars, and the sails, and the rigging............

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Really sorry to hear that you have joined my club Vol. The mask is the same as mine, even down to the filters. It is an encomberance and with my failing eyesight, it can also obstruct what I can see sometimes. Those people who moan about Covid masks have not lived in one of ours for any length of time! Even when finished I have to evacuate the room until the fumes dissipate. I have also noticed that the fumes make my eyes sore. I will now think of your work with even greater respect knowing the trial it is to get a part glued to exactitude, even without the handicap of a mask. All we can be thankful for is that it is not paint which causes the allergic reaction.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Oh yeah, I use glue and thread for the masts, no solder. And I use glue for the ratlines, and the spars, and the sails, and the rigging............
    I solder the masts, but still have to glue the sails on, and of course any alterations to the structure of the ships.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Really sorry to hear that you have joined my club Vol. The mask is the same as mine, even down to the filters. It is an encomberance and with my failing eyesight, it can also obstruct what I can see sometimes. Those people who moan about Covid masks have not lived in one of ours for any length of time! Even when finished I have to evacuate the room until the fumes dissipate. I have also noticed that the fumes make my eyes sore. I will now think of your work with even greater respect knowing the trial it is to get a part glued to exactitude, even without the handicap of a mask. All we can be thankful for is that it is not paint which causes the allergic reaction.

Rob.
    What a bummer for both of you!? My only issue with modeling these days is the cataract surgery that deprived me of getting comfortably close up to the models for detail work. It's just not the same anymore, especially when the implants are for varying focus lengths.

The quality of your work with these handicaps is even more impressive.
    –English Proverb

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The models themselves are exquisite. If he did 'em in 1/1000 and we had a supply source for masts without chopping Ares ships I'd be tempted.
    If you purchase the 3D models you can print them at 1/1000. I thought the files came with mast and sail sets included, if not there are other decent 3D files covering these on the internet, and the standards of modelling are improving all the time.

if you didn't have a printer but wanted them in 1/1000 I'm sure he could sort something out if you contacted him

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I'm actually toying with the idea of, if he's game for 1/10o0, suggesting to Rob at Ares that they consider a licensing agreement as "extensions" for hulls that Ares is unlikely to ever officially do like the various "alternative to Slade" Common 74 designs.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

How would that work? What would be in it for him? I'm curious

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

How would that work? What would be in it for him? I'm curious
    Not sure, just thinking a strategic partnership might get him a little more visibility, and an Ares "seal of approval" might help get broader acceptance in the community.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

He has pretty good visibility at the moment, and posting his details here has helped. I see this more akin to the situation with Shapeways 1/144 models and stats from the Aerodrome stats committee helping to keep "Wings alive during the dark days. What would be good would be if he included a 1/1000 option in his Kickstarter for printed models.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

All very good ideas chaps. I hope he also sees some mileage in your suggestions. As for Ares, better to have him onside rather than soo all our money on shipbuilding diverted elsewhere. I am very interested in the idea of doing some more ships of my own.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

He has pretty good visibility at the moment, and posting his details here has helped. I see this more akin to the situation with Shapeways 1/144 models and stats from the Aerodrome stats committee helping to keep "Wings alive during the dark days. What would be good would be if he included a 1/1000 option in his Kickstarter for printed models.
    Good point--with the long doldrums between Ares releases, partnering with him where they do a wave their way then he does a wave of DIY but with "officially authorized" logs might also help keep community activity up. Stupid tangent question: Is there any kind of comprehensive record about RN ships' squadron or station assignments (say, everything posted to North American Station 1812-16, for example) akin to the launch-to-sink-or-scrap TROMs of Japanese ships at Combined Fleet?
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

There probably is but I've not found it yet. All the data resides in the NHB in Portsmouth and the National Archives but it would be a big job to compile. That said I think that you'd find some elements going through the Naval Chronicle, although it's been some time since I had my reprints out for study.

On the subject of waves, i think this Kickstarter of Henry's is effectively his 3rd in a year or two and has many other models that he has done on Wargaming3D, so I don't think he would want to slow down I guess one project could be to develop stats for the ships he's done there

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Sounds like the job would need a team just like CF did (and admittedly they were immensely helped by the much smaller WWII IJN hull-count relative to the Napoleonic RN along with "large regional" vs "global" power as subject), a number of contributors each specializing in one area of focus.

Stats on HMS Captain and the rest of the Canada class should be easy, take SGN104 and just tweak the running-reaching-beating arcs. The Purisima Concepcions should be similarly easy, close enough to Meregildos that I've proposed them to Ares as a straight reprint.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

This should be a link to Simon Mann's collectionon Wargaming3d: https://www.wargaming3d.com/vendor/simon-mann/

And Henry Turner's: https://www.wargaming3d.com/vendor/henryturner/

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Just heard that Henry is likely to add a 1/1000 option to his kickstarter

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good news indeed Dave. I will keep my eyes open for that.
    Rob.

If you purchase the 3D models you can print them at 1/1000. I thought the files came with mast and sail sets included, if not there are other decent 3D files covering these on the internet, and the standards of modelling are improving all the time.

if you didn't have a printer but wanted them in 1/1000 I'm sure he could sort something out if you contacted him
    David is correct, all of these 3D ships come with masts and sails. However, since I build my own masts, spars and sails, I requested only hulls from Henry.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Masts and sails would save a lot of work even if I replace the masts with metal ones.
    Rob.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Just heard that a 1/1000 printed option has been added to the Kickstarter.
    Last edited by David Manley; 11-27-2020 at 22:51.

I corresponded with Henry this afternoon (late night your time?) and he told me he added the 1/1000 scale to his kickstarter. He also said he tried to register on the Anchorage and had been waiting over 20 minutes for the confirmation email. Since he has not joined the discussion, I am assuming he was unsuccessful.

Jim, here is Henry's answer to your Great Lakes question: (screenshot)
    Name:  Screenshot_20201127-222702_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views: 1684
Size:  103.2 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I corresponded with Henry this afternoon (late night your time?) and he told me he added the 1/1000 scale to his kickstarter. He also said he tried to register on the Anchorage and had been waiting over 20 minutes for the confirmation email. Since he has not joined the discussion, I am assuming he was unsuccessful.
    Hi Vol.
    The reason that Henry could not register was that the request we send out for E-mail confirmation had gone to his spam box.
    I hav sorted it out as soon as I came on line this morning, so he is now hot to trot.
    Rob.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Continental navy will be a welcome addition and one I'll be going for as I have more of an interest in smaller ship actions than fleet actions with SOG. Just need to decide ona cost effective method of making SOG-compatible bases.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Jim, here is Henry's answer to your Great Lakes question: (screenshot)
    Name:  Screenshot_20201127-222702_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views: 1684
Size:  103.2 KB
    Thanks Vol. That's most welcome news. It would not surprise me that Henry finds interest in Continental Navy ships to be higher than he might have thought?
    –English Proverb

Hi Vol.
    The reason that Henry could not register was that the request we send out for E-mail confirmation had gone to his spam box.
    I hav sorted it out as soon as I came on line this morning, so he is now hot to trot.
    Rob.
    Thanks Rob. Henry says:
    "Thank you once again for helping wave my flag on Anchorage - the admins got in touch with me about verification; I've clicked the link but still can't post. Guess I'll weigh-in later today."

So he may still need some assistance......

Thanks Vol. That's most welcome news. It would not surprise me that Henry finds interest in Continental Navy ships to be higher than he might have thought?
    We can hope so Jim. I know my interest in the Continental "Navy" is pretty high! Several of my scratch builds are Continental ships because there just aren't that many being manufactured.