Hybrid View

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Indeed they are DB, and I feel very bad about this, as we are all working hard to keep the interest going, and I feel that I must be missing a trick somewhere along the line.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Indeed they are DB, and I feel very bad about this, as we are all working hard to keep the interest going, and I feel that I must be missing a trick somewhere along the line.
    Rob.

I think we need more pictures of us playing the game. Game related things are fascinating, but my bet is that pictures of games will beget pictures and more interest.

As an aside, I am interested in dabbling in 3dD printing ships. Does anyone have any recommendations on free 3D software that I could experiment with? It seems like there's a bit out there, but I have no background to judge.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    I think we need more pictures of us playing the game. Game related things are fascinating, but my bet is that pictures of games will beget pictures and more interest.

As an aside, I am interested in dabbling in 3dD printing ships. Does anyone have any recommendations on free 3D software that I could experiment with? It seems like there's a bit out there, but I have no background to judge.
    While I have no experience with Blender I know of some folks who have supported them for years. Blender is definitely free and covers modeling and printing, with tutorials, etc. Here's their main website.

https://www.blender.org/
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I fully agree Dobbs, but my efforts to get people taking part in the Campaign over the past two years has met with singular failure, even though several shipmates got as far as producing their squadrons.
    That is why my latest AAR has been made in the general AAR section, but has as yet drawn not a single comment. At least I can save myself the task of thinking up and producing a new scenario every couple of months which nobody plays.
    I know Covid has curtailed games at clubs, but you and I are the only recent game posters.
    Still we can carry on and see if it achieves any renewd interest amongst our old and very valued lapsed shipmates, or have they just all retired to open Taverns with their prize money?
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I do like the look of those Henry Turner models. I only wish that he had more of the 18th cent Dutch ships available which could be reduced to 1,000th.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I do like the look of those Henry Turner models. I only wish that he had more of the 18th cent Dutch ships available which could be reduced to 1,000th.
    Rob.
    "Henry Turner" has quite a few ships available on Wargaming 3D. Here's his link. I do believe one of his runs involved Dutch ships and I see a Dutch Pinnace on his 3D page.

https://www.wargaming3d.com/vendor/henryturner/
    Last edited by Nightmoss; 11-25-2020 at 09:06. Reason: typo
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    "Henry Turner" has quite a few ships available on Wargaming 3D. Here's his link. I do believe one of his runs involved Dutch ships and I see a Dutch Pinnace on his 3D page.

https://www.wargaming3d.com/vendor/henryturner/
    Again thanks Jim. I had looked there, but all the Dutch ships barring two are a bit too early for my needs, despite the superb models. I am looking towards Camperdown. It is the only battle where Bligh actually shone.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Again thanks Jim. I had looked there, but all the Dutch ships barring two are a bit too early for my needs, despite the superb models. I am looking towards Camperdown. It is the only battle where Bligh actually shone.
    Rob.
    Ah, that would be HMS Director then? Turner may yet get to this particular battle? He was very active on Facebook, but I've not ventured there for over 3 months so it's an unknown where he might be putting future energy on future proje
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I fully agree Dobbs, but my efforts to get people taking part in the Campaign over the past two years has met with singular failure, even though several shipmates got as far as producing their squadrons.
    That is why my latest AAR has been made in the general AAR section, but has as yet drawn not a single comment. At least I can save myself the task of thinking up and producing a new scenario every couple of months which nobody plays.
    I know Covid has curtailed games at clubs, but you and I are the only recent game posters.
    Still we can carry on and see if it achieves any renewd interest amongst our old and very valued lapsed shipmates, or have they just all retired to open Taverns with their prize money?
    Rob.
    I enjoyed reading through your AAR, but as stated above my motivation to post anywhere has been somewhat curtailed for any number of reasons. I'll see what I can do to rectify this.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    I enjoyed reading through your AAR, but as stated above my motivation to post anywhere has been somewhat curtailed for any number of reasons. I'll see what I can do to rectify this.
    That would be great Jim, but don't feel obliged to do so. I was not pointing a finger at antone simply wondering why so many of you old shipmates had not posted for a long time. It seems much harder to engender posts here than on the Drome which more or less runs itself now, weras here it seems as if we are struggling to get any posts at all on some days, and usually more posts beget more posts. It makes me wonder if I am pitching it in the right direction, and Dobb's comment about AAR's is certainly something I intend to take onboard and hope that it will encourage others to follow suit.
    Rob.

Dobbs, there are some free 3D STL files available on Wargame Vault. In addition both Henry Turner and Simon Mann have free ship files available on the Wargaming3D store site https://www.wargaming3d.com/vendor/henryturner/ and
    https://www.wargaming3d.com/vendor/simon-mann/