Thread: 3D Ship Files / Kickstarter

Hybrid View

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I find the Chitubox autosupport feature can be a good stating point but it needs editing afterwards to get rid of greeblies, and it can miss some unsupported elements in complex models.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I just looked at them on the sprues, and thought, My word! Those slipways are a bit steep for a launch.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    I just looked at them on the sprues, and thought, My word! Those slipways are a bit steep for a launch.
    Rob.
    Imagine the poor carpenters trying to use their levels!

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Henry

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    I find the Chitubox autosupport feature can be a good stating point but it needs editing afterwards to get rid of greeblies, and it can miss some unsupported elements in complex models.
    I don't like how it'll often draw supports onto fragile bits like the cannons. I only ever support the ships from the base of the hull myself, though that does mean you'll get some tiny areas where stuff might not print, but I've never really noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Thanks Henry for your reply concerning sources for 3D printing. I definitely won't be using Shapeways, which leaves folks listed on Wargaming 3D or possibly Etsy. The issue with either is licensing/copyright requirements, cost and shipping.

Having a resin 3D printer in the house really isn't an option; space and safety with resin being the main issues.

For now I'll just be satisfied that I opted in on the 1/1000 printed KS.
    I'm fine with people using third parties so long as that third party won't retain the files (so if you're dealing with some individual printer, just get a statement in writing from them saying that they won't retain the file after printing the models. Otherwise I don't really see how it's any different from just using one's own printer! It'd only be if that seller then turned around and started selling the ships to other people that I'd be raising eyebrows.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Me too Jim.
    It will give us plenty of painting during the rest of 2021, especially if they keep us locked in.
    Rob.
    Painting my own fleet is something I intend to do as soon as I finish the two projects :D No free time for painting at the moment, but I certainly miss it!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Might not be a bad idea if we forwarded a copy of any agreement to you Jim. Then you could keep an eye on any later infringements of that sort.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.