Thread: 3D Ship Files / Kickstarter

Hybrid View

Henry:

Sad to see that you are turning to ACW miniatures. I was hoping you might look toward some War of 1812 ships for the next KS.

I do see the business reasons for it though, what with Warlord releasing their plastic 12mm ACW line. Good luck!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Sorry to hear that. I was also after a few more US Navy ships.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    Henry:

Sad to see that you are turning to ACW miniatures. I was hoping you might look toward some War of 1812 ships for the next KS.

I do see the business reasons for it though, what with Warlord releasing their plastic 12mm ACW line. Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Rob.
    When this new Kickstarter popped up on Facebook I was rather shocked at seeing another 3D project beginning when the Admirals KS hasn't been concluded. I have no interest in Civil War miniatures so this was more than a tad disappointing news.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Rob.
    Henry told me once he does have more Americans, primarily Continental, on the long term roadmap, and I'm trying to find him what information I can.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well that is some relief at least. All I have to do is last that long then.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Henry

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    Henry:

Yeah I have to admit Warlord forced my hand there somewhat; I'd been working 5-6 hours a day on my naval stuff (including St Vincent) with 2 hours reserved for "experimental projects" - namely things I was interested in getting into but that were more of a risk/not necessarily viable. The plan was to build these secondary projects to completion and *then* release them, already finished, on Kickstarter.

I'd been sculpting 15mm scale ACW infantry and had got to the point that the base models/equipment were done when Warlord announced their 13.5mm range. At first I thought I'd stick to the original plan but, once other 3D-printed ranges and crowd funding projects started springing up to ape that line, I felt I had to launch the project lest my own work be wasted by coming out at a time when the gap had already been filled.

Fortunately the fact I'm doing this modelling work full-time has meant I've been able to accommodate both projects without falling behind, but I'd be lying if I said it weren't stressful. I hope to have both done in March and then I'll be pausing to give myself a rest for a bit.

Rob.
    I'm not sure why the both of you are assuming I won't be making any more ships! As I'd said before, the Continental Navy is my next planned Age of Admirals project, though that'll probably come after a small Gilded Sails pack, as I've not given that range any Kickstarters since the first one at the start of last year. But it must be stressed that my producing 15mm figures doesn't necessarily herald the death knell of naval projects - they're still a passion of mine and will receive work so long as they're viable.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    When this new Kickstarter popped up on Facebook I was rather shocked at seeing another 3D project beginning when the Admirals KS hasn't been concluded. I have no interest in Civil War miniatures so this was more than a tad disappointing news.
    Sorry to hear that, I hope the explanation after the first quote explains sufficiently why it happened. For what it's worth, Cape St Vincent is still receiving the amount of work I'd been budgeting it from the beginning and is still ahead of schedule. Here's the most recent update showing the completed Spanish fleet, which I'm test printing this week, most likely on Tuesday.

Currently the division of time between the two projects is 07:00-15:00 for Age of Admirals and 15:00-18:30 for the ACW figures on weekdays, with the weekends being reserved for attending to whatever tasks from either project seem particularly pressing. This is almost identical to the work balance I'd been maintaining before announcing the ACW Kickstarter, back when it was just a side project. I can't deny that energy's obviously been expended in marketing the second KS but otherwise it's very much the status quo. With the funding window closing today, all should be back to normal and I believe I'll be sending out the files for the Spanish ships within the next two weeks and beginning work on the British at the end of this week. I should think everyone will have the core models by March, with the stretch goals (in the form of the digital files) following not too long after.

If I might reiterate, I'm sorry if the news of my working on other projects alongside this one is disappointing, and I certainly understand how one might hold fears that it means a division of attention/labour, but Cape St Vincent is still progressing as intended and I'm documenting all that in the weekly updates. There's certainly no basis for assuming that any diversification of what products I offer means that I'm discontinuing any work on ships! Ideally I should have liked to have released the ACW content pre-completed, with only the stretch goals requiring fulfillment, but that plan was sort of rushed out of the gate by Warlord's launching of their line and my not wanting to waste the work I'd already created. If you want to monitor progress more closely, I'm fairly regularly posting pictures of each day's work on the Facebook page.
    Last edited by HenryTurner; 01-24-2021 at 02:05.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for the update Henry. I'm sure that will put a few minds at rest. The down side is that I already have a huge ACW army in 15 so will not be changing scales.
    Rob.