Thread: 3D Ship Files / Kickstarter

Hybrid View

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Henry

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    I feel your pain, I'm in the same situation with one of my projects, but I'm dependent on someone else doing something essential before we can proceed. Frustrating, but hopefully forging ahead soon to catch up.
    I suppose I'm not much of a team player - so I have to say you have my empathy there, there's nothing worse than having the outcome of your project be reliant on another person. Wishing you luck with getting caught up and I hope it's not causing you many sleepless nights :/

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    I think you're doing a great job, Henry. It seems to me that you're right on schedule or ahead. It makes sense that in order to make a living doing this sort of thing, one needs to have multiple irons in the fire. Keep up the good work!
    Thanks :) Though it's not wholly a business concern, really, the side projects started out simply as a sort of means of "productive recreation" - don't get me wrong, I enjoy modelling ships and am grateful to be finally doing it as my means of living but when you're engaged in creative work like designing models you want to try new things/be challenged. With more than 50 ships under my belt now, to be honest, they're something I can build almost on auto-pilot. Actually trying to sculpt human models, on the other hand, is something that's actually quite scary/intimidating and has required learning a hell of a lot of new stuff!

I want to keep building ships, and I think they'll remain what I'm known for/serve as my bread and butter, but it's something that has to be complemented by other ranges (be they infantry, tanks, scenery kits - I'm even thinking of a Fantasy 28mm line in the future) simply to keep me on my toes, learning and generally feeling engaged with 3D design :)

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Henry, thank you for taking the time to reassure us that your work on the Admirals KS is not being negatively impacted by your Civil War work. I have enough Kickstarter experience to know that when crowdfunding projects start to diversify or are side tracked before completion there will often be negative consequences.

Your stated confidence in finishing the work on Admirals (and your regular updates on Facebook) are very helpful. Thanks again.
    I think the fears are well-founded - I'd be lying if I said that I didn't think the optics of launching a second KS before the first is completed certainly look bad. Ultimately it was a decision that had to be made as a result of weighing up what I'd already built, what the competition was doing and how much time I could commit.

Ultimately, though, I think the final reassurance you guys can take is that the ACW KS' information said from the get-go that the ultimate project deadline was July and that Age of Admirals took priority over it. So any slack that has to be given/any falls in productivity will affect the newer project first.

But I don't think it'll come to that - I'm working full-time on all this and I'm happy with the progress being made so far :) I hope to be posting back with the test print photos shortly.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by HenryTurner View Post
    I want to keep building ships, and I think they'll remain what I'm known for/serve as my bread and butter, but it's something that has to be complemented by other ranges (be they infantry, tanks, scenery kits - I'm even thinking of a Fantasy 28mm line in the future) simply to keep me on my toes, learning and generally feeling engaged with 3D design :)
    If you could get sufficient reference material, would forts and fortresses be possibilities for additional challenges? I've been trying to get Ares to consider special Scenario Packs with fort/shore battery/installation miniatures, and even 3d versions of the existing Terrain Pack pieces, and it seems to me that having you do the engineering would be an opportunity for both you and them.

Man, I wish we had this kinda capability ten years ago and I coulda found a designer up for a private project... I had a special only-two-built version of the EA-6B Prowler I had wanted to build but nobody makes a conversion for the VEP birds' special wing and tail mods, and ditto with an A-6F Intruder II prototype but the only conversion part-set had been extinct for a good 10-15 years before the idea entered my head.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.