Thread: 3D Ship Files / Kickstarter

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I would certainly be up for a Kickstarter of Continentals if it were 1000th scale.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Continental navy will be a welcome addition and one I'll be going for as I have more of an interest in smaller ship actions than fleet actions with SOG. Just need to decide ona cost effective method of making SOG-compatible bases.
    Take a hunk of balsa, glue paper fire/sail arc sheet to that, glue clear plastic or overhead-transparency sheet cover on top of that?

My main hesitation here is I'd like to see some coordination about "Ships Ares Won't Likely Do." Canada scratches our Bately 74's, don't recall if there's a Royal Oak/Alfred or a Ganges in the mix but I don't see Ares giving us another Common 74 sculpt (it's gonna be enough getting MIddlings and Larges, even with my proposed shortcut!) so those two additional Commons would be safe plays.

It occurs to me that for the ships Ares can't do themselves, Henry might be in an ideal position to fill the gap on those too. Things like gun-brigs and around 200-250-ton sloops and schooners, stuff below the 28m deck-length floor.
    Last edited by Diamondback; 11-28-2020 at 09:56.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

All bread and butter stuff that we need to get DB.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Henry

Hello guys!

Henry here (the creator of this Kickstarter), I'm sorry for being somewhat late to the discussion.

I'd like to pass my thanks to Bligh for getting me approved for posting, as well as to Nightmoss for sharing my work!

If I might give a bit of information about myself for those who're interested:
    I started modelling ships with crude balsa models last spring, while I was living in Russia (lived and worked there full-time for six years, but I'm British by birth and have since returned). Then in September I took up 3D modelling and, once corona hit, wound up doing that full-time thanks to the low cost of living over there. I spent February-July in solo isolation in my flat out there, rather desperately trying to get home but I had to wait to find a buyer before I could leave. Finally made it back to the UK at the end of July and wound up having to take up whatever job(s) I could find. Currently my aim to get back to where I was, in terms of living solely as a modeller, but this time in my native country.

This is my third Kickstarter, my previous two were Gilded Sails (Anglo-Dutch Wars) and Baltic Bulwarks (Danes & Russians). I'm hoping it'll take me three months; with the core models done by March and the physical deliveries all out and delivered by June at the latest, with the intervening period being reserved for any stretch goals that might be unlocked. Fortunately all my preceding work has been delivered on-time, so I'd like to say I've a good track record.

Oh, by the way, anyone interested in my method can see this old tutorial I wrote on Ships of Scale to promote Gilded Sails.

Now I'll do my best to weigh in and address the points I can glean from the thread so far :)

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Good idea, but a big basic fact error undermines his cred--San Juan Nepomuceno became HMS San Juan and a harbor ship at Gibraltar, neither Berwick nor part of the battle-line.
    I am very much still a landsman with regards to the Age of Sail, in that I haven't read nearly as much as most of the ardent hobbyists. Despite having had a passing interest in sailing ships, I only really got started properly 3D modelling ships just over a year ago (after a few months' experimenting with balsa). Volunteer and I first came to know one another because I got in touch with him, along others, asking for very basic advice!

My skill, insofar as it might be said that I have any, is in being able to faithfully reproduce original line drawings in a 3D form and alter the result so that it might prove printable. Beyond that I'm very much a layman - I think just reading the information blurbs on my products will betray that I'm not deeply read, but I take pride in the fact that I'm easily reachable and do respond to feedback. My models have very much been an evolving set of works and there's a world of difference between my first FDM models (like the Portland and Elizabeth) and what I'm producing now. To give myself some credit, though, I think my recent work is generally pretty accurate to what's being rendered.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    I do like the look of those Henry Turner models. I only wish that he had more of the 18th cent Dutch ships available which could be reduced to 1,000th.
    Rob.
    I should very much like to give the Dutch a proper modelling; at the very least I intend to redo Washington & Prins Maurits, and the Corvette will be getting a remixed sculpt. But, ideally, I'd like to actually do a dedicated Kickstarter, probably based either around Camperdown. The Dutch are, along with the Danish, are one of the few nations other than Britain to have done a great job recording/digitising their ship plans, so I'm really spoiled for choice!

Looks a jolly good deal to me Vol. Can't wait to see what you do with them.
    Rob.
    I felt obliged to give Vol a discount, considering the great patience with which he entertained my questions about balsa ships when I first got started with naval modelling ;D

The models themselves are exquisite. If he did 'em in 1/1000 and we had a supply source for masts without chopping Ares ships I'd be tempted.
    I've added 1/1000 sculpts to the Kickstarter and will indeed create printable mast sets. They'll be based on standard Establishment regulations, but the thickness of the actual mast parts will probably be similar to Rod Langton's models.

But as mentioned elsewhere in the thread, I do currently have a free mast set up on Wargaming3D, as does Simon Mann :)

It occurs to me that for the ships Ares can't do themselves, Henry might be in an ideal position to fill the gap on those too. Things like gun-brigs and around 200-250-ton sloops and schooners, stuff below the 28m deck-length floor.
    Thus far I've modelled the Cherokee-class brig, two Schooners, a Xebec, HMS Ontario and a Dutch corvette. These are all old(ish) models that could use a bit of work to bring them up to my current standards, but I've certainly got the foundations in place for covering some holes in your range there :)

Aaaand I guess I might cover some broader points while I'm at it:

1/1000 sculpts

While it's true that individual users could just scale the 1/1200 files up manually in a slicer, I've received enough queries about this scale to decide to properly support it. So, using the 1/1200 sculpts as a base, I'll produce specific 1/1000 sculpts for resin printing. I'll attempt to push the details further by including window frames, deck hatched and finer deck details. I'll also ensure the mast sets are updated; both with sails and bare yardarms.

Physical prints

I've added a limited run of 5 physical 1/1000 sets as a reward to the Kickstarter. The reason the run is so limited is because of time and space constraints on my end; it's just me in a small bedroom in London with a home printer!

Cooperation with Ares

My being rather ignorant as to the specifics of how anything like this might work, I'll just say the following: my sole aim with 3D modelling is to be able to make a full-time occupation of it. Currently I work 37 hours a week at minimum wage in a supermarket. This Kickstarter's budget was set so that, working across four months, I'd make a comparable amount of money to just sticking at my (dissatisfying) day job. To that end, I am of course open to any and all opportunities that would see me being paid to engage in something I love doing. So long as it pays more than a supermarket, I'd be interested :)

Anyhow, hope I've been helpful! I'll stick around and watch this thread attentively. Currently my game plan is to continue with my current commitments until around mid-December, when I'm going to ask to go part-time at work in the lead up to the Kickstarter's funding window closing. During that time I'll be promoting/polishing everything as near enough to full time as I can manage. Thank you very much for your interest and I look forward to joining the discussion.

Should you find me a tad slow, though, you can give me a poke on the Community Group on Facebook (not advocating you migrate over there or anything, just saying it's the easiest place to reach me if I seem to be snoozing).

Finally, I will say that I'd be very grateful for any support anyone might give the Kickstarter. Please do give the page a read, including my update posts and the updated FAQs :)

Edit: Oh, I forgot! This is obviously somewhat non-committal but my general plan for the next Kickstarter projects is to do a small pack of 3-4 French 17th century ships and a pack modelling a large part of the Continental Navy, as I know was shared here :) I'll be sure to include Bonhomme Richard and Ranger.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Welcome aboard, Henry. David Manley and I are their Historical Consultants on Sails, so even if they were game for coordinating efforts with you it'd probably go through one or the other of us--and since I've piled up a ton of data doing research from them (starting with stripping Winfield's books down to the bare tech data) if there's ever anything I can do to contribute to your efforts please don't hesitate to toss up a post and ask. I posted a LOT of Greenwich collection draughts in a "Stretching Sculpts" series of threads, and frankly if you get to three-deckers I can easily see myself replacing the official Ares ships with yours. (If I can get past painting and assembly, that is--I have two large B-29s and three B-52s that've been sitting on my bench for fifteen years because of no-longer-steady hands.)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hi Henry.
    Good to hear from yo officially on the Anchorage at last.
    I hope you will enjoy sharing our interest in all things naval and modelling in general.
    I wish you every success with your new choice of career and remind you that should you need to advertise more formally here you can arrange terms with The Royal Hajj Keith who owns the site.
    Sail safe and may you always have a fair wind.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Greetings Henry and welcome aboard the Anchorage. I think you'll find it profitable to be here and I'm certainly glad that Vol has been in instrumental in facilitating this. I see from your post that you brought up Camperdown which will certainly make Rob very happy.
    Ironically, I just watched a very good YouTube video on this particular battle, which I have to confess I was not sufficiently aware of until Rob mentioned Bligh's part in the exchange. Enjoy the Anchorage, stay safe and healthy!
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by HenryTurner View Post
    Edit: Oh, I forgot! This is obviously somewhat non-committal but my general plan for the next Kickstarter projects is to do a small pack of 3-4 French 17th century ships and a pack modelling a large part of the Continental Navy, as I know was shared here :) I'll be sure to include Bonhomme Richard and Ranger.
    Just an FYI, if you haven't sourced plans on Bonhomme Richard yet, Jean Boudriot's forensic reconstruction from her sisters seems to be the best available--it's what we used for the Ares model, but I know if you "backdated" her to as-originally-built (basically Jones had the quarterdeck extended about eight feet forward to wrap around the mizzenmast, IIRC) I'd be interested in four to upgrade my French EIM group. Can't make promises about timing, but it's definitely a "when" question rather than an "if."
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Great to see you made it Henry! You will find a lot of good people, reference information and great discussions here.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Welcome aboard Henry, it's great to see you here

Welcome aboard. Following your work closely

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Welcome to the Anchorage, Henry. A skilled modeller like yourself will be a great asset to the community and hopefully our experts here wil be able to help you.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Assuming that Henry's Kickstarter is successful and we have an expanded field of 1/1000 ships available who's going to produce the appropriate ship and maneuver decks that will be needed? If memory serves there may have been some effort done with "Clipper's" Santisima Trinidad, but that's just one ship from Henry's Kickstarter.

Is this something the stats committee will take on? Can we produce maneuver cards/decks without causing issues with Ares?
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

If the stats comittee can do the maths, I can knock out the ship mats and ship base cards.
    It will be up to someone else to knock up the movement decks if we need to depart from the existing ones, because I have no experience of this.
    As for Ares, they don't seem to mind as long as the decks etc are not ones which they already do or intend to in the near future as long as they are for our personal use and not put up for sale.
    Maybe DB or Dave could check this out with Rob at Ares.
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I am a bit late to this discussion, but from what I have read I am very enthusiastic.
    I will go back to the kickstarter and take another look.
    Initially I only saw a scale of 1/700 and 1/1200, but the sculpts look very good and another source of ships cannot be sneered at.
    I may get my HMS Mars now as per my avatar.
    By the way welcome to Henry

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Just need to decide ona cost effective method of making SOG-compatible bases.
    For this feature I am talking to a firm that may be able to make some up for us, I will let you chaps know the outcome of the talks

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I'm uncomfortable with trying to create new decks but would not oppose the rest of the Committee making efforts to do so... I'm more comfortable with ship logs and base inserts, though Ares has made a right dog's-breakfast of consistency for us to try and back-figure from, particularly on the Spanish ships.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Henry

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone

Just an FYI, if you haven't sourced plans on Bonhomme Richard yet, Jean Boudriot's forensic reconstruction from her sisters seems to be the best available--it's what we used for the Ares model, but I know if you "backdated" her to as-originally-built (basically Jones had the quarterdeck extended about eight feet forward to wrap around the mizzenmast, IIRC) I'd be interested in four to upgrade my French EIM group. Can't make promises about timing, but it's definitely a "when" question rather than an "if."
    I've got ahold of 'em aye! I'll look into how the model might have variants to it when I actually get to starting the project. But I have done different versions of the same ship in the part (e.g. the three sub-types I made for Magicienne or the Carnatic/Courageux model).

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    I am a bit late to this discussion, but from what I have read I am very enthusiastic.
    I will go back to the kickstarter and take another look.
    Initially I only saw a scale of 1/700 and 1/1200, but the sculpts look very good and another source of ships cannot be sneered at.
    I may get my HMS Mars now as per my avatar.
    By the way welcome to Henry
    Glad to hear it's of interest :) Yes, 1/1000 will be covered! If you spot any areas on the Kickstarter where I've made that ambiguous, please do let me know and I'll amend things.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I'm uncomfortable with trying to create new decks but would not oppose the rest of the Committee making efforts to do so... I'm more comfortable with ship logs and base inserts, though Ares has made a right dog's-breakfast of consistency for us to try and back-figure from, particularly on the Spanish ships.
    I'd be perfectly happy with using existing decks unless there's something way out of line concerning movement. Ship logs and the base inserts is really the main focus I think, but again this is for you folks on the committee to decide.
    –English Proverb

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I think Ares has provided all the decks we need. I made a table of all of the decks some time ago and don't recall any gaps. The real adjustments would be in the sailing angles on the ship base cards.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 11-30-2020 at 16:35.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Just a question for Henry, have you already made a file for the Courageux, if so will this be made available in our scale?
    I would be looking to get a few copies of this ship for HMS Minotaur, Leviathan and Colosus

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

On the subject of 3D printing can anyone recommend a 'print on demand' 3D Print Service in North America? I see any number of folks on Etsy offering this as a service, but getting a recommendation here would be preferable. Thanks in advance.
    –English Proverb

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Just a question for Henry, have you already made a file for the Courageux, if so will this be made available in our scale?
    I would be looking to get a few copies of this ship for HMS Minotaur, Leviathan and Colosus
    Which Courageux? Do you mean the 1761 French ship that was evolved into Carnatic, Blake and Armada, or the 1800 Henslow/Rule-family one-off named after her but no engineering relationship?
    Last edited by Diamondback; 11-30-2020 at 19:14.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Which Courageux? Do you mean the 1761 French ship that was evolved into Carnatic, Blake and Armada, or the 1800 Henslow/Rule-family one-off named after her but no engineering relationship?
    Or the 1806 Téméraire class 74 Courageux? I have the one Henry did but I don't know which it is Name:  20201130_202800.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  86.7 KB

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Henry's sculpt is the original 1750s Geoffroy design and her British progeny.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Ship log and base inserts certainly does it for me because thayt is well within my own expertise to produce, and is much cheaper both on materials such as printer inks and also time, even if only producing half sets and one set og generic brown cards.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

For this feature I am talking to a firm that may be able to make some up for us, I will let you chaps know the outcome of the talks
    Thanks for your efforts on this one Chris. As you know from our previous discussions I am up for this one too.
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I was meaning the original, gives a French ship plus we can use for Carnatic class giving us Minator etc, that was my thinking at least

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Well have bit the bullet, here is now hoping it makes the target

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

How hard did you bite Chris? I'm thinking about it too.
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I pledged for the stl files for the 1/1000 scale, £45

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Excuse my ignorance Chris but does this mean we actually get the physical printed version or just the facility to get them printed?
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Excuse my ignorance Chris but does this mean we actually get the physical printed version or just the facility to get them printed?
    Rob.
    Henry went ahead and created a separate 'print run' option for the 1/1000 scale. If the Kickstarter page is up to date no one has pledged for this currently (only five slots offered). The stl files for 1/1000 are in another category. As I have no access to a 3D printer for quality resin reproduction I'm waffling on going for the 1/1000 print option, which would be around $67 US.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just tried to sign up for the KS but far too much info required for me to comprehend. I thought it would be the same as the Ares Ks in format but got bogged down in the sertais and small print. With my failing eyesight I can't manage this any more.
    Thanks for the help anyway Jim. if i had got on I would have taken your option.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Just tried to sign up for the KS but far too much info required for me to comprehend. I thought it would be the same as the Ares Ks in format but got bogged down in the sertais and small print. With my failing eyesight I can't manage this any more.
    Rob.
    Well, that's unfortunate? If I proceed with this and am successful I'll see if I can share any info that will help you out?
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Jim it would be much appreciated.
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Sorry you not getting through the ks Rob, not quite sure why.
    As already been said, there is an option to buy the already printed versions, I will pm you tomorrow ref this.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Cheers Chris.
    Rob.

Just a quick observation. I was just on Henry's Kickstarter and saw there are zero pledges for the 1/1000 scale ships. Henry added the scale for this group. I am really surprised there have been no takers. Just a reminder the deadline for this KS is the end of this month.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Just a quick observation. I was just on Henry's Kickstarter and saw there are zero pledges for the 1/1000 scale ships. Henry added the scale for this group. I am really surprised there have been no takers. Just a reminder the deadline for this KS is the end of this month.
    I've been waffling about it Vol. I know Rob was serious about it, but he had issues with Kickstarter's procedures, etc. It's on my calendar for sure, and I won't forget.
    –English Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    We can hope so Jim. I know my interest in the Continental "Navy" is pretty high! Several of my scratch builds are Continental ships because there just aren't that many being manufactured.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    I've been waffling about it Vol. I know Rob was serious about it, but he had issues with Kickstarter's procedures, etc. It's on my calendar for sure, and I won't forget.
    Ok Jim, I'm just a little surprised is all. I had always believed the Sails of Glory fans were always wishing there was another source of 1/1000 scale hulls out there to add to the game. If this KS isn't funded, I doubt he will try this scale again. There appears to be more demand for the 1/1200, 1/700, and 1/600 scales.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

As of right now, Henry has 1612GBP to raise in 15 days. I don't know where I'd fit even one of them in my already overloaded-thanks-to-Old-Packrat studio to do a set, but all five of the 1/1000 sets selling would only get him 250GBP closer, around 1/7 of the way to goal.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Cptn Duff has kindly offered to deal with my problem from his end, so I'd better get my skates on.
    Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Henry

Hey everyone!

I'm sorry to have been so quiet - I'd thought i had configured email notifications for reply to this thread, but didn't receive any - I'd assumed there hadn't been further activity! I'll set myself a notification to check back here manually every couple of days lest I leave you too long without any information, sorry again.

I'll go through the replies here and see if I can be of any help/illumination :)

So this sort of fills in with a broader category concerning my work; namely that, as I've made more ships, I've got better at what I've done. I've been kicking around the idea of "remaster" projects for yonks now - going back and reworking my ships to bring them up to my current standards. Unfortunately my experiences so far have been that once a model has been updated I don't really see any further sales or uptake: My assumption being that either the people who'd wanted such a model had already bought it or that people just weren't interested with the introduction of resin sculpts (to name one example - all my initial ships were FDM-friendly but had no resin sculpts, some have had new ones added now).

With regards to my experiences with 1/1200, I've sold perhaps three packs of the ships I converted to that scale.

So to go back and either convert my entire range to 1/1000 or otherwise remaster the ships, I've decided, would have to be done as part of another Kickstarter (with a more modest budget than the current one, of course), that'd work out to paying myself minimum wage for the expected time necessary to apply updates. I'm sorry if that's a disappointing answer, but it's the only means I can think of to make sure I get some compensation for the time I'd use (which would have to be taken from making new things). So far I've not sold any of the 1/1000 sets yet so you might see why I'm unsure as to how pronounced any potential interest might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    On the subject of 3D printing can anyone recommend a 'print on demand' 3D Print Service in North America? I see any number of folks on Etsy offering this as a service, but getting a recommendation here would be preferable. Thanks in advance.
    I wish I could be of help here; all I can say is that I used to be on Shapeways but have since taken my models down from there, as I believe their prices "take the piss a tad," as the kids might say ;)
    I'm actively looking for companies to sell commercial licences to, though.

She is the Courageux on which the Carnatic-class was, I believe, based. It's a dual kit with options for printing her either in her original French configuration or under RN service.

I pledged for the stl files for the 1/1000 scale, £45
    Thank you very much, sir :)

Rob.
    I have to apologise to people as I've received consistent feedback that the language used on the Kickstarter was much too obfuscated. Unfortuantely, now that people have pledged, I can't edit the text of the reward tiers.

But as a general rule of thumb, anything that doesn't feature the word "printed" in the title (be they reward tiers or reward items) is for an *STL File Only*

Rob.
    Sorry to hear that, Rob :/ As far as I know, there's nothing that should make the process to sign up any distinct from that of another Kickstarter. Is there anything I can help with?

As of right now, Henry has 1612GBP to raise in 15 days. I don't know where I'd fit even one of them in my already overloaded-thanks-to-Old-Packrat studio to do a set, but all five of the 1/1000 sets selling would only get him 250GBP closer, around 1/7 of the way to goal.
    While I'll admit that I'm not 100% confident it'll fund (I'd say I'm about 80% sure at the moment), and we probably won't get all the stretch goals, I might point out that the other two Kickstarters I started had a bit of a "surge" in the last week, as I assume Kickstarter makes them appear higher in search results.

For what it's worth, now that I've finished my few weeks' preparation for a potential career at sea (and I got an interview, yay!), I'm able to 100% dedicate my free time to all this once again. I've started things off by adding a new reward tier which offers every ship I've ever made at a 66% discount, in addition to all the Kickstarters (the latter being at their nominal price). I've rather cynically taken advantage of Vol's lovely take on HMS Captain, which I've posted around ;)

I'll be following up over the next few days posting everywhere I can, including offering updates about my work. I'll be purchasing Facebook ads during the last week and if, during the last 5 days, we're still not close to the goal I will offer more printed sets (though I really want to avoid that if I can as it's quite the logistical nightmare). Suffice to say, I will be working my socks off to pull out every necessary measure to get us over the finish line :) My previous Kickstarters have had 60-80 people get behind them, if memory serves, so I am hoping for a final rally. I think perhaps people might've been a bit more tepid about supporting this as A. The Budget is quite high (it's worked out at paying me minimum wage for 3 months' full time work) and B. My previous absence from the hobby/occasional absences during the KS process might have people understandably worried.

At any rate, on the subject of what I'm up to now; here's literally what I am doing at this moment... preparing the Danish Christian VII (her 1766 version, I've already created the later second rate) for my Patreon patrons, which they will have the option of receiving for free by way of apology for my absence/thanks for their continued support :)

I will make sure she has the features I've promised for the new Kickstarter, so she can serve as a "demo ship" of sorts. I'll offer a 1/1000 option too. She should be ready by the end of the month, all things going as planned!

Name:  OMgML5b.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  92.2 KB

By the way, if I might somewhat self-interestedly point something out - with Kickstarters, you aren't actually committed to parting with your money unless the project actually funds. You can back a project (and I believe KS may well take the money from you), but the project only actually receives its funding if it meets its goal. Therefore, should you back the Cape St Vincent and it still fail nonetheless, your money will be returned to you by Kickstarter themselves. In the event of successful funding, I get paid about two weeks later. So it's really not too risky a prospect assuming you don't mind parting with your money for up to a month :)

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hi Henry.
    I hope you saw my post made just before yours.
    I have now Pmed Chris with a message to go ahead if he will, so another £50 should soon be in the funds.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

On the problem you are having getting mail shots, I have also lost all notifications about two weeks ago from both here and the Drome. My techi can't find anything at my end to suggest why, after a decade, suddenly no mail from either site, so I am also forced to check each day and also look for new members signing on, instead of getting an automatic notification.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 12-16-2020 at 09:12.

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Henry

Hi Henry.
    I hope you saw my post made just before yours.
    I have now Pmed Chris with a message to go ahead if he will, so another £50 should soon be in the funds.
    Rob.
    That's very kind of you, thank you :)

Regarding the mail; no worries, it's not that hard to just check back every so often. I just hadn't been aware of the problem!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Just pledged for the 1/1000 print level. Good luck with the remainder of your campaign, Henry.
    –English Proverb

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

On the problem you are having getting mail shots, I have also lost all notifications about two weeks ago from both here and the Drome. My techi can't find anything at my end to suggest why, after a decade, suddenly no mail from either site, so I am also forced to check each day and also look for new members signing on, instead of getting an automatic notification.
    Rob.
    For some reason, Gmail has been rerouting Aerodrome/Anchorage mail to my Spam folder lately.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I thought that DB but I keep checking my spam folder and there is nothing in it.
    Rob.