Please see the Atlas Obscura article below:

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/t...=pocket-newtab

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Thank you for sharing that interesting article, Bill. If more forts had been made from coquina, history might have been different. In game terms, I suppose that scenario designers will now have to research what type of stone a fort was made from, if they are going for historical accuracy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Not too worried about Castillo de San Marcos Dave. I will give it a wide berth in my model making exploits. It is just a pity that they don't tell us which the other fort was that was made of the same material!
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Here you go, Rob. Fort Matanzas, just south of St Augustine. It guards the back door.

Name:  Ft_Matanzas_2008.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  216.3 KB

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Won't go there either then Dobbs, unless I want to give the captains at next year's Doncaster a nasty surprise! i.e. Just knock out that fort and your squadron can capture the ships in the harbour with ease."
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Thank you for sharing that interesting article, Bill. If more forts had been made from coquina, history might have been different. In game terms, I suppose that scenario designers will now have to research what type of stone a fort was made from, if they are going for historical accuracy.
    Coastal defenses are already a research nightmare, as it is... Mere site plans are not readily available for most, and that's literally the foundation we'd need to have to build a map or model from.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Perhaps it could be the target of a night raid by a Marine landing party.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

There are all sorts of possible scenarios for actions of this sort Dave. Were you at Doncaster 2 when I did my joint amphibious attack on the fort and harbour installations? We have also done bomb Ketch actions. What the walls are made of is inconsequential if you can drop a shell into the works behind the men manning the walls. I only told them to blow the ****** doors off!
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Coastal defenses are already a research nightmare, as it is... Mere site plans are not readily available for most, and that's literally the foundation we'd need to have to build a map or model from.
    I agree DB. I have built a few as you know, and sourcing plans of the period is difficult, plus what was drawn by the architect is not always followed in the actual construction, or can be altered between the time of construction and the period you are portraying. Even well documented sites like Ticonderoga are a nightmare with several layers of construction and also modifications overlying each other during its history of occupation by several nationalities. All we can really do is similar to the way we deal with the ships and make an informed best guess at a lot of the sites. Knowledge of Vauban's methods is a great help with the French and Spanish works of our period but even they often have anomalies dictated by the terrain or a whim of the engineer on the spot. It is however a great feeling when you get one as right as you can.
    Rob.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

And then there are the plans that have been lost ot history between poor archiving and senseless vandalism...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Very true DB.
    Rob.