Thread: Interview with Ares about Sails of Glory

Hybrid View

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

I don't have a lot of interest in a Pirates line either -- unless we are talking about Barbary pirates. No mention of addressing the American market with ships of the War of 1812, Quasi War, or Barbary Pirate Wars. I recently noted that Warlord Games has a complete US Fleet line for this period in its Black Seas game...regrettably I may be spending my money there rather than with Ares in the future.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Wentworth View Post
    I don't have a lot of interest in a Pirates line either -- unless we are talking about Barbary pirates. No mention of addressing the American market with ships of the War of 1812, Quasi War, or Barbary Pirate Wars. I recently noted that Warlord Games has a complete US Fleet line for this period in its Black Seas game...regrettably I may be spending my money there rather than with Ares in the future.
    It's a shame Bill, but I can quite see your point. After all you Americans are the largest contingent on the Anchorage and are the least catered for by Ares. i can see a lot of you chaps over the pond following suit if they have not already done so. On the brighter side I quite look forward to seeing your larger ships sailing the seas here at the Anchorage Bill. The assembly details posts and such will also add an extra dimension to our other posts.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    It's a shame Bill, but I can quite see your point. After all you Americans are the largest contingent on the Anchorage and are the least catered for by Ares. i can see a lot of you chaps over the pond following suit if they have not already done so. On the brighter side I quite look forward to seeing your larger ships sailing the seas here at the Anchorage Bill. The assembly details posts and such will also add an extra dimension to our other posts.
    Rob.
    Hrrm... "least catered for" Two ships is least catered for? There are several on this forum that I think would agree that the Americans are by two ships not the least catered for.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I was not suggesting that the other Navies are supplied with ships Jonas, but with all respect the Scandinavians, and much as I hate to say this, wishing I had Russians and Dutch fleets as well as your own and Danish, there are not a vast number of members in those countries to bring pressure onto Ares. The Americans are by far the largest and, thanks to DB, influential market as indicated by the membership here on the Anchorage. I am not saying I like the status quo but realistically I don't see Ares venturing into those areas of a niche market within a niche market. Maybe I should have said, “least catered for within the market we can reasonably hope to see Ares extend".
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    I was not suggesting that the other Navies are supplied with ships Jonas, but with all respect the Scandinavians, and much as I hate to say this, wishing I had Russians and Dutch fleets as well as your own and Danish, there are not a vast number of members in those countries to bring pressure onto Ares. The Americans are by far the largest and, thanks to DB, influential market as indicated by the membership here on the Anchorage. I am not saying I like the status quo but realistically I don't see Ares venturing into those areas of a niche market within a niche market. Maybe I should have said, “least catered for within the market we can reasonably hope to see Ares extend".
    Rob.
    I am surprised a bit by your assumption of American's ability to play any conflict they as a country wasn't involved in.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    I am surprised a bit by your assumption of American's ability to play any conflict they as a country wasn't involved in.
    I think wer are misunderstanding each other here Jonas. I did not intend to suggest that The Americans were either able or unable to play anything they wanted to. Just that they were a lot of them and a lot of buying power. As far as I know they quite happily play French, Spanish Algerienes, British etc, but they should be able to field a reasonable navy of their own to prevent interest from flagging.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Wentworth View Post
    Does anyone know how much they have actually portrayed US ships and how much is just painting the general ships of that size in US colours? (Except for Constitution and sister)

I will not make that trasision partly due to I'm thinking that the scale is too big. Either the game is misrepresenting distances very much or you need enormous tabels. That may fit a small action of a few ships not travelling any distances, but not many actions of the Napoleonic wars. ...And partly due to the sails. To me the sails look awful. I hate sails that's not double curved. They need to be bulging to look realistic to me. This means cast sails. I don't like etched sails and paper can never be bent to be spherical, only cylindrical in different directions in different parts.

I'm not very familiar with the combat system, but I'm under the impression that it is much more suited to handle small vessels fighting, which would make for a much better system for the war of 1812 and even for the Russo-Swedish war of 1788-1790. Sails of Glory is sadly already in trouble handling corvettes and even the smallest of corvettes is really out of it's range.