Thread: Fourth Rate 50 gun ships of the Royal Navy.

Hybrid View

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

HMS Isis (1819)

HMS Isis would have been the 3rd of Rules 50 gun ships.Work was commenced at Woolwich Dockyard under M/shipwright Edward Sisson until the March of 1816 and then taken over by Henry Canham. The ship had been ordered in the 10th of October, 1811, which comes within the time period that I am covering, and laid down in the February of 1816 when work was suspended. By Admiralty Orders she was then converted to a Frigate, whilst the building was still in progress, and launched on the 5th of October,1819 with a very different design layout.
    Thus Romney had effectively been the last 50 gun fourth rate ship of the period.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

As no further 50 gun ships of the line were built for the Royal Navy after this date I am now moving on to the Fourth Rate 50 gun Frigates built during the period 1793 to 1815.

As usual my work is indebted to the following reference sources:-

Wikipedia.
    More than Nelson.
    Osprey's British Napoleonic ships of the Line.
    Rif Winfield's British Warships in the Age of Sail 1793-1817
    The ships of Trafalgar by Peter Goodwin.
    The battle of Copenhagen by Ole Feldbaekand,
    Thec Maritime Museum, Greenwich,
    and also for this particular series of ships Three Decks Warships in the age of sail whose information has been of inestimable in filling in the gaps and cross checking for disparity of information in some of the other texts.

Any mistakes are solely down to me.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.