Thread: What's on your workbench for November.

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    Awesome job Vol. How did you do the blocks? I was thinking a little spot of glue painted brown. How did you do your ratlines? That is one of the things that vexed me about the 1/700 ships, the plastic ratlines that didn't really fit very well, I also found that the sails were a bit fidgety to fit properly at least on the frigates and brigs.
    Thank you Eric. And you are spot-on with the little spot of glue painted brown for the blocks! For the ratlines I had to make a larger jig for this third rate than I was using for the SOG ships and Black Seas frigates. The larger one is used for the lower mast shrouds and the smaller jig for the upper shrouds.
    Name:  20201106_205632.jpg
Views: 927
Size:  103.8 KB
    Name:  20201106_203926.jpg
Views: 950
Size:  154.3 KB
    Name:  20201106_204838.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  141.2 KB
    Name:  20201107_194503.jpg
Views: 860
Size:  93.3 KB

For the sails I do not use the heavy card ones supplied. I copy them onto regular printer paper, front & back. Then print them out. I just go through my normal process using PVA to coat and then shape them over a pen or marker. Then I use a damp rounded pencil eraser and, from the back side, I push the lower edge into something soft like a sponge or folded cloth to give that billow shape. I always tie the sails on the spars, only using a touch of glue at the knots. (I do glue sails on the smaller 1/1200 ships.) Hope that answers all of your questions Eric
    Cheers

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Another very interesting little "How to" Vol. I had seen your smaller jigs but the extra info imparted here will be of great value to those shipmaates who venture down the road of producing their own ratlines.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.