Thread: American Frigates

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Worth noting that IIRC Chapelle says that was "the norm" but individual ships may have varied. My suggestion would be start with Chapelle as a base and then consult period paintings and text accounts of the specific ship in question. If the specific conflicts with the general, go with the specific.
    Exactly so. I don't recall seeing a period painting with black lower masts for example. Of note the French practice was to change mast colours depending on where the ship was stationed. I think Dobbs is safe with the white masts and black spars! I also think that you began to see white stripes much earlier. Of course for the Constitution there is always the contemporary model made by the crew for Captain Hull:

https://ussconstitutionmuseum.org/20.../a-model-ship/

White lower masts, green bulwarks and white stripe just as she is painted now.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for drawing our attention to that article Eric. I for one found it most enlightening.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.