Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's on your workbench for October?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Default What's on your workbench for October?

I start this month with an amputation!
    Making a start on my American Brig, i have removed her mizzen.

Rob.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Aside from moving the mainmast aft by about its width (so it kisses the forward edge of the hatch behind it) removing the mizzen is the main operation. The hull remains the same length.

I did delicately trim off the mizzen channels.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good point about the mizzen chanels Dobbs. I may well have overlooked that matter.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Marking and cutting sails for the two Brigs.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Today I glued the Boom and Gaff to my sail and drilled holes in the mast to house them.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Now with the boom and Gaff set, I can try iy for fit on the mast before fitting the details to the sail.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Workbench: getting one laptop set up, so I can get another shipped off for repairs and then backup and reload this one.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That scenario rings a bell DB. But at least with my son being my inhouse Techi, he just orders the parts, and sets up the machine for me without the need for it going away.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Next bit is to print decals for the US Ensign and apply to the flag already in situ before the new sail gets in the way.

1/700 Scale 10 Gun Sloop

After making the naval cutter from the Black Seas generic brig, I wanted something a little sleeker and not so unrealistically broad. I thought about it quite a bit and decided War Artisan's 10 gun sloop was just the ticket. I had already made one in 1/300 and 1/1200 scales, so why not a 1/700 scale model. So here it is, complete with protruding guns at quarters and mounted on one of the new acrylic bases I am making for the BS ships now. Hope you like it.

Name:  20201005_164648.jpg
Views: 1552
Size:  159.9 KB
    Name:  20201005_164658.jpg
Views: 1251
Size:  158.2 KB
    Name:  20201005_164726.jpg
Views: 1100
Size:  149.1 KB
    Name:  20201005_164736.jpg
Views: 1016
Size:  154.6 KB
    Name:  20201005_164743.jpg
Views: 1298
Size:  162.5 KB
    Name:  20201005_164755.jpg
Views: 1036
Size:  150.4 KB
    Name:  20201005_164805.jpg
Views: 1045
Size:  148.5 KBName:  20201005_164814.jpg
Views: 1084
Size:  153.3 KB

With the corvette made from two Black Seas brigs
    Name:  20201005_164934.jpg
Views: 1097
Size:  193.1 KB

Sloops from left to right: 1/1200, 1/700, 1/300 scales
    Name:  20201005_165315.jpg
Views: 1061
Size:  179.1 KB

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    That scenario rings a bell DB. But at least with my son being my inhouse Techi, he just orders the parts, and sets up the machine for me without the need for it going away.
    Rob.
    Tower/desktop PC's are much easier to do that with than laptops, though. :(
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Indeed they are DB.
    The Apple laptop had to go back to Sheffield for its upgrade.
    Rob.

Great looking ships Vol.

Rob, very nice conversion to make your American brig.

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Very nice brig conver , I need to do one . Is the base ship a French alligator model ?

Vol I like your model , very nice Sails . And I like the different model scales you have . Nice job

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Both the American brigs are going to be from Alligators Ferrante, saimply because there were no Handy American ones available at the time.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Brig one now completed.
    Still not sure about the white masts though.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Brig one now completed.
    Still not sure about the white masts though.
    To break up the whiteness on mine, I painted the masts above the courses a light tan. Also the lower gaff yard and the outer jib.

Do you still need the adjusted brig base cards, Rob? If you kept the mainmast in the sloop spot, I'd stick with the sloop card, otherwise I can post brig cards soon. Suzanne and I are out voyaging, so after dinner we kind of fall in to bed, or we're in a place with no cell signal.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The adjusted card would be most acceptable thanks Dobbs.
    Are you anywhere nice on your Autumn voyage. and is Suzanne doing her usual blog?
    I got a parcel in the post on Tuesday, when it came back from the engravers, so it should be with you in about another week.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Ship Base Cards - 2-29-20 - US.pdf

Here are two examples, Hawk and Falcon. Unfortunately, I did not save my master blank brig sheet as a PDF before leaving home. These are using my more traditional sailing angles, so don't play them against the stock base cards or brigs will get a really bad reputation!

Suzanne and I are hunting out isolated little towns and limiting our exploration to the Chesapeake (which is still a lot of territory). she is working on her blog, but a little behind, as the sailing has been great. If you don't already get updates when she posts a new blog but would like to, here's her spot to sign up:

https://waldenrigging.com/sailing-gracefully

I will have my friend who checks our mail make sure the parcel is in a safe place until our return. Weather permitting, we want to keep voyaging until the beginning of December.

Here's a picture of our course the other day.

Name:  20201008_162904.jpg
Views: 1018
Size:  189.1 KB

We covered 40 nautical miles at an average speed of better than 6.5 knots. We were fluctuating between a 2nd and 3rd reef in the main and 1st and 2nd in the jib. It was exhilarating!
    Last edited by Dobbs; 10-10-2020 at 07:31.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for those cards Dobbs. They will see me through nicely until your return.
    Till then may you both sail with a fair wind. I will watch the Blog.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You were also right about the ships masts. I just followed your advice and she looks far less anaemic now.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Dobbs.
    Just knocked out the Brig cards.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Last edited by Bligh; 10-13-2020 at 05:41.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Those sailing angles are quite harsh to be Sails of Glory. They're about historical.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

They are Dobbs cards. I am adopting them for all my new ships as soon as I can.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Are you updating all your old original ships too?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I am hoping to bring them all into line eventually Jonas, but with over 200 to do it will take a deal of time.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Meanwhile here are the ship mats I did this morning.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

And not that it matters, but with brigs the sail you added was called the mainsail until after our period when it was called the spanker. The sail you'd think was called mainsail was the square mainsail. It comes from the older ship type brigantine that developed into the brig. The brigantine doesn't have a square mainsail.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A very good historical point Jonas. Thank you for bringing that one to our attention.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

After sometime with the Game Saga I returned to SOG doing a conversion from ship Montaigne to Santísima Trinidad .
    I know Montagne is a 3 deck. But Santísima was a 3 decks at the beginning ...

Name:  8D32C0A1-B0B5-4148-A4A0-81ED4FA0B71E.jpg
Views: 945
Size:  274.8 KB
    Name:  9E907DB1-6F8D-4866-BCB4-8CE6B616D6CF.jpg
Views: 1049
Size:  233.3 KB

I will add the Spanish flag and use with the Santa Ana stats

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Nice one Ferrante.
    I can now add my ship cards for the American Brigs.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

And here is her sister ship

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I have knocked out a master ship log for Galleys using Dobbs stats if anyone would like it.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

And here is one for the gunboats.
    Last edited by Bligh; 10-24-2020 at 04:39.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just done the cards for my Gunboats and Galleys, and discovered that thanks to KR Multicases I don't need to cut out the jigsaw tabs to join up the ship mats. I can just leave them in one piece.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 10-25-2020 at 06:08.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Now thinking of my November workbench DB. Do you have a suggestion for an Ares ship that would do for one of the smaller US Frigates. Something that would not need a lot of alteration as I have a lot of other chores stacking up for next month.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Now thinking of my November workbench DB. Do you have a suggestion for an Ares ship that would do for one of the smaller US Frigates. Something that would not need a lot of alteration as I have a lot of other chores stacking up for next month.
    Rob.
    Off the top of my head, for the moment I would just use an unmodified SGN103 straight from the box as an American 12pdr 32. American shipbuilding techniques were largely just iterating on English tradition and custom, so there would be a certain expectation of "family resemblance" if you will. For a 9pdr 28, same model but weaker stats. These are just "interim" suggestions, though; part of why I'd go "repaint/reflag only" is to keep options open for the future.

So that buys you:
    SGN103 Amazon as 12pdr 32's...
    1776 Hancock, Raleigh
    1776 Randolph, Warren
    1798 Baltimore
    1799 Essex

SGN101 Concorde as 1799 ex-FR Insurgent

SGN103 Amazon as 28's and a 30:
    30 1799 General Greene
    28 1776 Providence, Trumbull
    28 1799 Adams
    28 1799 Boston
    28 1799 John Adams

Cards on the table, if Ares gave me free hand and a commitment to stay the course this is how I'd roadmap out the US oceanic fleet in SGN:
    1. USN 74's Special Pack - Independence/Washington/Franklin
    2. USN Humphreys 44 mainline release - President/Guerriere, United States/Java, HMS President/?
    3. USN 36/38 - Constellation/Philadelphia, Congress/Chesapeake, HMS Chesapeake/?
    4. CN 32 - Hancock/Raleigh, Randolph/Warren, HMS Raleigh/HMS Iris
    5. CN 28 - Providence/Trumbull, Virginia/1799 John Adams, HMS Providence/HMS Virginia
    6. USN 28 - ?
    7. USN 26/24 - ?
    8. USN Sloop - Peacock/Erie, Wasp/Ontario, Frolic/?, HMS Florida
    9. if length allows (unsure if they make 28m minimum), schooners Enterprise/Vixen
    CN's are AWI-era Continental Navy like Thorn/Atalanta and Bonhomme Richard.
    Last edited by Diamondback; 10-25-2020 at 16:00.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Off the top of my head, for the moment I would just use an unmodified SGN103 straight from the box as an American 12pdr 32. American shipbuilding techniques were largely just iterating on English tradition and custom, so there would be a certain expectation of "family resemblance" if you will. For a 9pdr 28, same model but weaker stats. These are just "interim" suggestions, though; part of why I'd go "repaint/reflag only" is to keep options open for the future.

So that buys you:
    SGN103 Amazon as 12pdr 32's...
    1776 Hancock, Raleigh
    1776 Randolph, Warren
    1798 Baltimore
    1799 Essex

SGN103 Concorde as 1799 ex-FR Insurgent

SGN103 as 28's and a 30:
    30 1799 General Greene
    28 1776 Providence, Trumbull
    28 1799 Adams
    28 1799 Boston
    28 1799 John Adams

Cards on the table, if Ares gave me free hand and a commitment to stay the course this is how I'd roadmap out the US oceanic fleet in SGN:
    1. USN 74's Special Pack - Independence/Washington/Franklin
    2. USN Humphreys 44 mainline release - President/Guerriere, United States/Java, HMS President/?
    3. USN 36/38 - Constellation/Philadelphia, Congress/Chesapeake, HMS Chesapeake/?
    4. CN 32 - Hancock/Raleigh, Randolph/Warren, HMS Raleigh/HMS Iris
    5. CN 28 - Providence/Trumbull, Virginia/1799 John Adams, HMS Providence/HMS Virginia
    6. USN 28 - ?
    7. USN 26/24 - ?
    8. USN Sloop - Peacock/Erie, Wasp/Ontario, Frolic/?, HMS Florida
    9. if length allows (unsure if they make 28m minimum), schooners Enterprise/Vixen
    CN's are AWI-era Continental Navy like Thorn/Atalanta and Bonhomme Richard.
    Hear, hear!

I wholeheartedly endorse the Amazons as the AWI 13. Of course, I have switched the decks with the Concordes and boosted the Amazons to Burden 3...

I like the idea of the Concordes as the more modern American 32's.

I already use the Amazons as Burden 2 post ships with weaker stats.

I have taken to creating "what if" ships for America. After all, if novelists can do it... Besides, how many wargames include the Graf Zeppelin in the German navy? Speaking of what ifs, I think maybe having the 74 America with JPJ at the helm could be fun. I just don't know which mini to use, perhaps a Bellona?

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Dobbs, I went Concorde for Insurgente because the two classes were drawn up in response to the same Marine Ministry specification, rather like the A-9 vs A-10, F-16 vs YF-17 and F-22 vs YF-23 flyoffs. There's a typo in there, Insurgente is SGN101, I recommend the Amazon sculpt for the 28's too, and have suggested they just be straight reprinted with new paper as the Enterprise 28's also designed by Williams--to my untrained eye the overall shapes look very similar.

I don't know of any draughts, but USS->FNS America was almost 20' longer than SGN104 HMS Bellona and bigger even than a Temeraire, almost the size of a typical First or Second Rate; she would have been a beast for taking punishment but her anemic 18#/12# as-built main batteries would badly hamstring her against even a British 64. Put this USS America, even with Jones at the helm, up against HMS Agamemnon and basically Nelson would add another huge feather to his cap. Given that her >185' length makes her the size of a British Large 74, give her a 32/18 or 32/24 main battery and she'd be a beast though. Better yet, upgun her to the same as the later American 74's with two full decks of 32's and...

Bad news, we're not getting Enterprise. Ares requires a minimum length of 28m and she comes in 3 short... unless I can get them to mold a hull integral with the base lid, like how Axis & Allies cast multiple PT Boats on a tiddlywink base.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks very much for the rapid response. I was hoping that Essex was a probable, and you have come up trumps again.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 10-26-2020 at 04:05.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Again, take that with a grain, this is more "closest available proxy right now." Post particular ship requests in the Stats Committee and I'll trawl the data to see what we can come up with as a Playtest Candidate.

From what I see, Essex as-launched is 26x12# plus 16x24#crde, while a typical British 12-pdr 32 fit of around the turn of the 19th Century has four less carronades, more commonly also 18# though the Thames-class (ironically a revival of a 1750s design) were rocking 24's in 1806. Take the best Amazon, boost her Burthen to 3 and give her a slight Gunnery buff, and with American live-oak hulls maybe give her an extra hull box. (Similar for Indian teak.) She's about 10' longer and 3' beamier than her British counterpart, and a hundred tons BM heavier.

EDIT: Apologies for the HUFRACKINGMONGOUS image, but I found this comparison chart of the American 12-pdr frigates...

When taken, the British thought Confederacy's hull would be more appropriate for an 18-pdr 38 or even a small SOL than a 12pdr 32/36! (Interestingly, sister Alliance was outfitted with 18pdr's, implying Confederacy was meant for them too.)
    Last edited by Diamondback; 10-25-2020 at 23:03.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks again for the extra info. I will take it on board.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here is my first try out DB. Does this fit with your criteria?

Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I'd say take Essex down to Veer 7, but other than that it's ready for the Stats Committee to start testing. If I'm wrong about the live oak, no biggie, we just take off one of the rear boxes. :) The War of 1812 version will be considerably more powerful, but I thought it best that we focus on trying to get a "baseline" version right first to give us a platform to build on.

Actually, I'm about to start a Historical Discussions topic gathering whatever plans of 12pdr and 18pdr American frigates I can round up...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Veer 7 it will be then sir.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Don't 'sir' me, old friend, I work for a living too. :) Or so my Old Sarge grandfather would say...

EDIT: You have a thread in the Stats Wardroom, BTW. :)
    Last edited by Diamondback; 10-26-2020 at 19:17.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Sorry DB. Just treating you with the respect that your new exalted position deserves from a mere secretary to the Navy Board.
    I remain your very humble and wheedling servant (Uriah Heap.)

Begging your pardon, I meant to say Jas Bligh.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Modified to fit your stats for the 1810 ship better. I will now do an early version for the back of the mat.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 10-28-2020 at 02:20.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Before the latest waves the sum of burden and veer was usually 10 and if the ship was rally big or small it could have the sum of 9.

I think that was a quite good rule of thumb.