Thread: What's on your workbench for October?

Hybrid View

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I have knocked out a master ship log for Galleys using Dobbs stats if anyone would like it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

And here is one for the gunboats.
    Last edited by Bligh; 10-24-2020 at 04:39.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just done the cards for my Gunboats and Galleys, and discovered that thanks to KR Multicases I don't need to cut out the jigsaw tabs to join up the ship mats. I can just leave them in one piece.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 10-25-2020 at 06:08.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Now thinking of my November workbench DB. Do you have a suggestion for an Ares ship that would do for one of the smaller US Frigates. Something that would not need a lot of alteration as I have a lot of other chores stacking up for next month.
    Rob.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Now thinking of my November workbench DB. Do you have a suggestion for an Ares ship that would do for one of the smaller US Frigates. Something that would not need a lot of alteration as I have a lot of other chores stacking up for next month.
    Rob.
    Off the top of my head, for the moment I would just use an unmodified SGN103 straight from the box as an American 12pdr 32. American shipbuilding techniques were largely just iterating on English tradition and custom, so there would be a certain expectation of "family resemblance" if you will. For a 9pdr 28, same model but weaker stats. These are just "interim" suggestions, though; part of why I'd go "repaint/reflag only" is to keep options open for the future.

So that buys you:
    SGN103 Amazon as 12pdr 32's...
    1776 Hancock, Raleigh
    1776 Randolph, Warren
    1798 Baltimore
    1799 Essex

SGN101 Concorde as 1799 ex-FR Insurgent

SGN103 Amazon as 28's and a 30:
    30 1799 General Greene
    28 1776 Providence, Trumbull
    28 1799 Adams
    28 1799 Boston
    28 1799 John Adams

Cards on the table, if Ares gave me free hand and a commitment to stay the course this is how I'd roadmap out the US oceanic fleet in SGN:
    1. USN 74's Special Pack - Independence/Washington/Franklin
    2. USN Humphreys 44 mainline release - President/Guerriere, United States/Java, HMS President/?
    3. USN 36/38 - Constellation/Philadelphia, Congress/Chesapeake, HMS Chesapeake/?
    4. CN 32 - Hancock/Raleigh, Randolph/Warren, HMS Raleigh/HMS Iris
    5. CN 28 - Providence/Trumbull, Virginia/1799 John Adams, HMS Providence/HMS Virginia
    6. USN 28 - ?
    7. USN 26/24 - ?
    8. USN Sloop - Peacock/Erie, Wasp/Ontario, Frolic/?, HMS Florida
    9. if length allows (unsure if they make 28m minimum), schooners Enterprise/Vixen
    CN's are AWI-era Continental Navy like Thorn/Atalanta and Bonhomme Richard.
    Last edited by Diamondback; 10-25-2020 at 16:00.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Off the top of my head, for the moment I would just use an unmodified SGN103 straight from the box as an American 12pdr 32. American shipbuilding techniques were largely just iterating on English tradition and custom, so there would be a certain expectation of "family resemblance" if you will. For a 9pdr 28, same model but weaker stats. These are just "interim" suggestions, though; part of why I'd go "repaint/reflag only" is to keep options open for the future.

So that buys you:
    SGN103 Amazon as 12pdr 32's...
    1776 Hancock, Raleigh
    1776 Randolph, Warren
    1798 Baltimore
    1799 Essex

SGN103 Concorde as 1799 ex-FR Insurgent

SGN103 as 28's and a 30:
    30 1799 General Greene
    28 1776 Providence, Trumbull
    28 1799 Adams
    28 1799 Boston
    28 1799 John Adams

Cards on the table, if Ares gave me free hand and a commitment to stay the course this is how I'd roadmap out the US oceanic fleet in SGN:
    1. USN 74's Special Pack - Independence/Washington/Franklin
    2. USN Humphreys 44 mainline release - President/Guerriere, United States/Java, HMS President/?
    3. USN 36/38 - Constellation/Philadelphia, Congress/Chesapeake, HMS Chesapeake/?
    4. CN 32 - Hancock/Raleigh, Randolph/Warren, HMS Raleigh/HMS Iris
    5. CN 28 - Providence/Trumbull, Virginia/1799 John Adams, HMS Providence/HMS Virginia
    6. USN 28 - ?
    7. USN 26/24 - ?
    8. USN Sloop - Peacock/Erie, Wasp/Ontario, Frolic/?, HMS Florida
    9. if length allows (unsure if they make 28m minimum), schooners Enterprise/Vixen
    CN's are AWI-era Continental Navy like Thorn/Atalanta and Bonhomme Richard.
    Hear, hear!

I wholeheartedly endorse the Amazons as the AWI 13. Of course, I have switched the decks with the Concordes and boosted the Amazons to Burden 3...

I like the idea of the Concordes as the more modern American 32's.

I already use the Amazons as Burden 2 post ships with weaker stats.

I have taken to creating "what if" ships for America. After all, if novelists can do it... Besides, how many wargames include the Graf Zeppelin in the German navy? Speaking of what ifs, I think maybe having the 74 America with JPJ at the helm could be fun. I just don't know which mini to use, perhaps a Bellona?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks very much for the rapid response. I was hoping that Essex was a probable, and you have come up trumps again.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 10-26-2020 at 04:05.