Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's on your workbench for October?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here is the 1799 mat. Does that do it or shall I make further mods?
    Rob.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Rob, I think that's a Playtest Candidate if the Committee agrees! :)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I do.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks chaps. We just need to hear from Dave Manley, but I have to thanke Db, Texas and Dobbs for useful input. I may have found my niche. You give me the stats and I knock out the mats to your specs. If I can be granted access to add things to the Files we can put the accepted ones there.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Meanwhile here are the ship mats I did this morning.
    BTW, Algerian Hassan Bashaw (brig) and one other tribute ship (schooner) of almost identical hull to Argus/Syren would probably look very similar in stats.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Thanks chaps. We just need to hear from Dave Manley, but I have to thanke Db, Texas and Dobbs for useful input. I may have found my niche. You give me the stats and I knock out the mats to your specs. If I can be granted access to add things to the Files we can put the accepted ones there.
    Rob.
    As far as I'm concerned, you deserve a full seat at the Stats Committee table in your own right, including voting rights.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Apropos of nothing, while I was trying to find a copy of Brian Miller's "Adventure's Call" to set my desktop on the backup laptop I stumbled across this image by Miller, "Harbor Night," that I thought might make somebody a good wallpaper.
    Name:  7250f32a41e044e0462ae30c70161002.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  121.1 KB
    https://i.pinimg.com/originals/72/50...0c70161002.jpg
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I'm happy

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    I'm happy
    I'm Grumpy.

Notts are going into tier three this weekend.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

[QUOTE=Diamondback;95728]Apropos of nothing, while I was trying to find a copy of Brian Miller's "Adventure's Call" to set my desktop on the backup laptop I stumbled across this image by Miller, "Harbor Night," that I thought might make somebody a good wallpaper.

It is a very atmospheric picture DB. Strange to say my wallpaper is also a ship. A photo I took of Hermione when she sailed up the Chesapeake to Yorktown.

Rob.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I'm Grumpy.
    If Sneezy turns up I'm taking cover!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, you deserve a full seat at the Stats Committee table in your own right, including voting rights.

Oh no! Excusing your pardon me L'ud, an umble secretary to the Navy Board could never aspire to such lofty heights as that. I am quite happy dealing with the needs of you Captains and leaving the lofty decisions of State to your Lordships.

Most respectfully, your most ob't servant,

Uriah Heap. (Secretary to the Board)

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    If Sneezy turns up I'm taking cover!
    I'm just glad to hear you are not Sneezy Dave. We don't have an enoticon with a Covid mask. Needs rectifying, and Tim does not venture here as you know!
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Maybe something like this Dave.

Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 10-29-2020 at 10:33.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Ship base mat for Essex now done.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

[QUOTE=Bligh;95731]
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Apropos of nothing, while I was trying to find a copy of Brian Miller's "Adventure's Call" to set my desktop on the backup laptop I stumbled across this image by Miller, "Harbor Night," that I thought might make somebody a good wallpaper.

It is a very atmospheric picture DB. Strange to say my wallpaper is also a ship. A photo I took of Hermione when she sailed up the Chesapeake to Yorktown.

Rob.
    Miller actually did a series that I'd like to know more about... the other three were Voyage, Storm and Harbor Sunrise.
    Name:  2d7583fa1972e3d92ba64199e9f720d1.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  121.9 KB
    Name:  24babc81b2f3efd142e6adfca4f690dc.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  100.1 KB
    Name:  6df65ac382c27c2ad0d6e37877d840c0.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  186.8 KB
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Even more eye candy DB, and here is my completed Essex herself.
    Just done the US Flag decal. Just the ship card to go now.
    Rob.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

They do make a fine pair

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Dave.
    I hope to have them in action in a few days time.
    Rob.

Hello mates! I have not posted here for a long time, the truth is that I have been quite busy with various projects and personal issues that do not transcend here, but I hope to be a little more active from now on. I would like to share some photos about a british fleet I have done. They are a lot of ship and the scale 1/700 do difficult to share all ships at one photo, so, I will share little by little the ships. I would like to start with first and second rate. They are HMS Victory, HMS Royal Sovereign, HMS Neptune and HMS Temeraire.

This ships were done using:
    Hulls from Meridian brand
    Ratlines from mikrostocznia
    Sails, masts, base scratchbuilt.
    Complements like anchors and little boats from Meridian.
    I hope soon have a new background bigger to do photo of all ships and I would like to do a video with the proces of contruction.
    I hope you like them and I hope all of you are healthy.

Best regards,
    Julián

Name:  20201030_133051.jpg
Views: 917
Size:  179.3 KB
    Name:  20201030_132609.jpg
Views: 1051
Size:  201.3 KB
    Name:  20201030_133002.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  151.9 KB
    Name:  20201030_133358.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  162.1 KB
    Name:  20201030_133430.jpg
Views: 766
Size:  159.5 KB
    Name:  20201030_133437.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  165.9 KB
    Name:  20201030_133530.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  168.1 KB
    Name:  20201030_133608.jpg
Views: 921
Size:  162.0 KB
    Name:  20201030_133727.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  181.0 KB
    Name:  20201030_133746.jpg
Views: 989
Size:  163.5 KB
    Name:  20201030_133817.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  166.6 KB
    Name:  20201030_133812.jpg
Views: 966
Size:  180.9 KB
    Name:  20201030_133929.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  144.2 KB
    Name:  20201030_133956.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  145.1 KB
    Name:  20201030_134058.jpg
Views: 854
Size:  157.7 KB
    Name:  20201030_134325.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  166.1 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good to hear from you Julián and thanks for all the eye candy. It was just what we needed to lift the spirits here on a very dull chilley and stormy day.
    I am glad to heare that you are well and hope all your family are likewise. We are just about to raise the quarintine flag again as Notts has gone into the top tier of lockdown, despite the numbers of infection starting a downward trend.
    Your efforts on the British Navy front are certainly worthy of a bit of Rep cannon. Keep them coming dear chap.
    Sail safe.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

And this concludes my USS Essex cards.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Those are some gloriously beautiful bases!

Duncan has given me a wee project - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKg8oPF4xfk
    My next stage is to attach magnets to the underside of my minis, I'll report back too.
    No-one expects a ship full of dwarves.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

For those interested in more information on the USS Essex see here:- https://sailsofglory.org/showthread....5752#post95752

Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Suggestion for statting 1810 Essex: I'd propose a two-track approach if David Manley has time to assist. Option A would be apply the regular Ares carronade rules, Option B the buffed gun-line I mentioned above with "Half Draws at A Range" special rule, and see which option fits historical performance better.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Sounds a very sensible way to give choices on the approach. for non historical games if carronades are in use we have two options available. We have either half firepower is Carronades or all are. that makes it easy to keep track of what is going on when a lot of ships are being handled by a few people.
    An option for building it into the card appeals to me.
    Rob,

Able Seaman
    France

Log Entries
    Name
    Roméo

Good to hear from you Julián and thanks for all the eye candy. It was just what we needed to lift the spirits here on a very dull chilley and stormy day. .
    I couldn't agree more. The times are really harsh. I don't even want to go into today's detail. All these pictures and these posts about our valued ships are such a way-out for me to this worrisome period. Thanks for sharing. Really. The result is beyond excellence. Even if I'm very far from reaching the talent of everybody here, I will soon post some pictures of mine in process.
    "Les passions sont les vents qui enflent les voiles du navire ; elles le submergent quelquefois, mais sans elles il ne pourrait voguer."
    "Passions are the winds that fill the sails of a ship ; they sometimes overwhelm her, but she could not sail without them."- Voltaire

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Please feel free to post whenever you can Romeo. The more chat we get the better chance of keeping things afloat in these dismal times of Lockdown.
    Sink me the ship master gunner.
    Rob.

Beautiful work Julian! You are becoming expert at those scratch masts and sails. They all look first rate!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Only sorry I can't add more interest. my last couple of days have been taken up making card decks for my non standard ships.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Beautiful work Julian! You are becoming expert at those scratch masts and sails. They all look first rate!
    Thanks Vol, there is still to improve, perfect and learn new things but little by little I am improving.
    Really, they are two ships of first rate and two ships of second rate but I have used mast and sails from first rate for all of them.

Regards,
    Julián