A while ago, I picked up some Alumilite Silicone Mold-making materials, but never got around to using them. I've never done anything like this, but was inspired by what was possible based on what I saw on the site here.

Last month I finally worked up the nerve to try. Everything felt successful, but when I extracted my master, I could see that there had been a bubble right where the mast was supposed to go.

This is my next attempt.

Name:  20200926_141707.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  178.6 KB

In this picture, you can see all of the goodies needed. I have my Alumilite base, hardener, and measuring cups. The small metal measuring cup is my mold box. The large one is for mixing. In the shadow of it all is my master on its stand; a cutter from Langton Miniatures.

Name:  20200926_141747.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  163.9 KB

A close up of the cutter. The thing to be reproduced needs to be sunk 1/4" into the resin, hence the stand. I built the stand to center the hull in the middle of the measuring cup.

Name:  20200926_141614.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  157.5 KB

At this point, I have thoroughly mixed the silicone and hardener. The master has been placed in the cup and taped so that I can tilt the cup while pouring the resin in. Hopefully this will get rid of the offending bubble this time.

Name:  20200926_141527.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  138.4 KB

I have poured the silicone. To either side of the mold-in-making are the halves of the mold with the bubble. I cut the damaged mold in half to inspect it. If you look really close you can see it where the mast would attach. Other than that, I am really impressed with the level of detail!

Cross your fingers! It takes 18 hours for the mold to harden...