Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Lightbulb Homecoming!

Grace has aced her shakedown cruise.

Name:  20200923_191039.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  175.5 KB

After a week of heavy weather sailing, we finally had an evening where we weren't completely exhausted so settled down to.... MORE SAILING!

In this evening's adventure, the American privateer Enterprise tries to break out of Boston harbor. HMS Swan moves to intercept. After beating to windward to gain the weather gauge, Captain Ignacious Thumbtwiddle of the Enterprise commands his crew to fire!

Name:  20200924_201855.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  169.4 KB

Here we see Suzanne showing the complete lack of damage inflicted.

The Baltimore Clipper was feeling lucky and decided to stick around on the off chance of bringing a Royal Navy ship in as a prize. Here we see HMS Swan producing a similarly effective broadside.

Name:  20200924_201749.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  196.2 KB

The action did eventually get hot, with Enterprise gaining the slightest upper hand in close action.

Name:  20200924_201554.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  192.4 KB

The game was called for dinner.

This was played planning for the current turn, to reflect the small ship agility. We also used my reduced damage to reflect their 6 pdr pop-guns.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 09-25-2020 at 17:46.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Great photographs, Dobbs!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Smashing Dobbs. I love your use of light in the smoke. Brilliant!
    Should have thought of that myself when I was doing the ships on fire. Just can't imagine why Suzanne looks so chuffed!
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 09-26-2020 at 10:00.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

A little homecoming surprise for you, Dobbs: Nobody on the Stats Committee (of late it seems I *am* the committee after our years in doldrums sent many drifting on the currents to other games) objected to my inviting you and they've had a month, so if you want in just let Rob know and he'll add you to that usergroup.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Able Seaman
    France

Log Entries
    Name
    Roméo

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Great photographs, Dobbs!
    I agree with David. And I love the concept of sailing and playing warships games !
    "Les passions sont les vents qui enflent les voiles du navire ; elles le submergent quelquefois, mais sans elles il ne pourrait voguer."
    "Passions are the winds that fill the sails of a ship ; they sometimes overwhelm her, but she could not sail without them."- Voltaire

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Here's another picture we took shortly after leaving our anchorage one morning:

Name:  Diamondback.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  101.6 KB

I thought I'd start a list of boats with our names. I'm not expecting too much on finding boats named Rob, Bligh, or Dobbs.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    A little homecoming surprise for you, Dobbs: Nobody on the Stats Committee (of late it seems I *am* the committee after our years in doldrums sent many drifting on the currents to other games) objected to my inviting you and they've had a month, so if you want in just let Rob know and he'll add you to that usergroup.
    What sort of things does the Stats Committee do (what would my responsibilities be)? Before I sign on, I want to make sure I can do a good job!

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Smashing Dobbs. I love your use of light in the smoke. Brilliant!
    Should have thought of that myself when I was doing the ships on fire. Just can't imagine why Suzanne looks so chuffed!
    Rob.
    Suzanne says, "It's all about the eye shadow in the cotton to make the smoky brown color." Almay Everyday Neutrals - Dark Brown Eyelids Crease Color (set with Aquanet hairspray)

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    What sort of things does the Stats Committee do (what would my responsibilities be)? Before I sign on, I want to make sure I can do a good job!
    In a nutshell, we try to "fill in the blanks" and use existing ship data to extrapolate reasonable values for ships Ares has not yet offered--case in point, for the discussion on Constitution working up datasets for HMS Cyane and HMS Levant, and trying to figure out how much we need to beef up HMS Sybille to make HMS Guerriere. Mostly it's been slow since Wave 4 obsoleted our Tonnant, and most of what we do is "X is stronger than Y but weaker than Z, define things to the best of our ability then fling spaghetti at the wall of playtesting and see what sticks."
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I would see your role as advisor on points of sailing, much as you have done to facilitate me with my Xebecs, gunboats etc. In fact the ships which we desire to use outside the scope of the official Ares sculpts and the clones. DB has a grip on that area and Dave Manley can provide extra backup as they both have inside knowledge from the playtesting etc. Texas and yourself have the most hands on with actual wind and weather sailing ships, and again Dave has also got a grip on some of that.
    I hope this gives you the desire to join our merry throng and bring the committee up to the mark again. Many hands not only make light work, but also extend the pool of ideas and knowledge exponentially.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    Suzanne says, "It's all about the eye shadow in the cotton to make the smoky brown color." Almay Everyday Neutrals - Dark Brown Eyelids Crease Color (set with Aquanet hairspray)

Obviously Suzanne's technical expertise extends much further than writing exhilarating journey logs, sailing boats and their auxiliary engines then!
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    I would see your role as advisor on points of sailing, much as you have done to facilitate me with my Xebecs, gunboats etc. In fact the ships which we desire to use outside the scope of the official Ares sculpts and the clones. DB has a grip on that area and Dave Manley can provide extra backup as they both have inside knowledge from the playtesting etc. Texas and yourself have the most hands on with actual wind and weather sailing ships, and again Dave has also got a grip on some of that.
    I hope this gives you the desire to join our merry throng and bring the committee up to the mark again. Many hands not only make light work, but also extend the pool of ideas and knowledge exponentially.
    Rob.
    Alright, sign me up!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Welcome aboard Dobbs.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Welcome indeed.

I will note that I have seen members with experience of sailing even big sailing vessels that may at least outrank me, even if it was for some time ago. I am no expert just because I've sailed square sailed vessels (mostly brigs).

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hands on counts for a lot Jonas. Dont't be modest.
    Rob.