Quote Originally Posted by Wentworth View Post
Rob,
Here's another one that might be of interest to you and illustrates Dobbs' remarks on carronades -- the USS United States (1797), rated a 44 gun heavy frigate, although records indicate she was launched with 55 guns (thirty-two 24 pounder cannon, twenty-two 42 pounder carronades, and an 18 pounder long gun; she usually carried over 50 guns at all times). She became a veteran of numerous ship to ship actions in the War of 1812, Barbary Wars, and the Quasi-War. Most notable among them was her epic fight with the HMS Macedonian (38 gun frigate) in the War of 1812 ultimately resulting in the Macedonian's capture. The two ships were tied together for two weeks after the fight repairing the damage to both ships. Ultimately the Macedonian was refitted and purchased into USN service as the USS Macedonian. Three fun facts about the ship: 1) a young Herman Melville signed on to her as an ordinary seaman in 1843 and Melville's novel White Jacket is based on his experiences on the ship (especially a very graphic description of a flogging). 2) later in her career, the captain of the USS United States challenged the captains of the USS Constellation and the HMS Vindictive to a race which she apparently won handily, and 3) during the American Civil War she was captured by the Confederacy in the early part of the war in the fall of the Norfolk Navy Yard. Refitted and commissioned the CSS United States (although often called the CSS Confederate States). Later in the war it was recaptured by the Union and recommissioned as the USS United States.
Here's a link to more detailed information on this ship;
https://www.history.navy.mil/content...s-frigate.html
The bit about the race is interesting particularly because the USS Unites States was not known to be a fast sailor in 1812. She was nicknamed the "Old Wagon" or something to that effect. To take up Dobbs point on the carronades, she kept the 42# carronades whereas USS Constitution and USS President were rearmed with 32# carronades. They did try the 42s on Connie but quickly changed back to 32s. Being at work I don't have my books, but from memory the 44s did not keep the 12#&18# long guns on the spar deck very long. I believe the Connie had the 32s by Tripoli. I have always thought a fun hypothetical would be a Humphries frigate vs. an Ardent class 64 or HMS Leander, a ship purpose built to fight them. Having said that HMS Agamemnon with Nelson as captain fought 4 French frigates at least one of which was a Hebe class, and drove them off. Of course the operative word there is French.